Video Tour of the Del Webb Sun Cities Museuum

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Dec 13, 2020.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Emily Litella likes this.
  2. 3GenSCAZ

3GenSCAZ Member

Thank you for posting. Some really nice changes this year. What happened to the spoon rack in the kitchen?

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

So great! Can't wait to see the finished product. Thank you for your efforts and all those that put in so much time in this hidden gem.

We look forward to visiting the museum after the 1st of the year.

4. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

I haven't watched the video yet, but sent the info around and the response was "Must see it in person one of these days," so it obviously generated interest.

5. BPearson

Thanks for the comments gang. This summer was challenging. The pandemic coupled with the prostate issues created too much drama. My salvation was the Museum. I sat staring at blank walls as i tried to picture how we tell the Sun City story using less words and more visuals from our huge collection. Lots of input from the committee helped sort through it and even i am stunned by the outcome. I am usually my own worse critic, but in this case i think we hit it out of the park. Comments have been great and better yet is the smiles i see on visitors faces. What's really cool are the old nostalgic pieces we add on a monthly basis. Yesterday i brought down one f the coolest yet, especially for the ladies. Even my wife, when i opened it, said "holy crap."

Really looking forward to your comments SCJ, given your background. Before we remodeled, we brought a professional in who runs the Cowboy museum in Wickenberg and she said, less words, more stuff.

6. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I've seem some nice Letters to the Editor about this recently.

7. BPearson

Been missing in action of late. Hard talking about the Sun City way of life when it has been altered to what it is. Nope, nobody’s fault, it is the new normal...at least for now. A friend pointed out years from now we won’t think twice about it.

Thanks for the kind words CT, the museum is better than any time in our history. I have personally given a number of the tours and people are stunned by what they find/see. They never expect it because it simply looks like a little pink house from the outside.

About a year ago we had the curator from the Wickenberg museum come through and make suggestions. We listened carefully and worked tirelessly to follow through on making it better. She came back today and suffice to say, she was surprised. We simplified displays by reducing the writing and using our collections to tell the story. And of course all of the 50’s and 60’s memorabilia was a real delight.

Beyond that, in giving the tours i am coming to believe the path forward lies in our history, but that’s a story for its own thread and at another time.

8. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I really like this is a philosophy, true of not just Sun City but of the whole country and the entire world. Which is why the study of history is important and best (opinion) NOT left to folks such as those who just produced the "1776 Project" or whatever it ws called.