US Postal Service & Mail-In Voting

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, Jun 16, 2020.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Best keep an eye on the story that the USPS is reportedly in dire straights unless they get emergency funding soon. We LOVE our mail service and it's hard to imagine being without it even for a short time. Can they charge more for commercial delivery? Charge more for the ridiculous amount of junk mail we get daily? Can they eliminate Saturday delivery? Sure, but all of that is just a drop in the bucket of what they need to keep on delivering much needed items.

That brings me to the fact that this year we signed up for permanent mail-in voting in lieu of having to vote in person if COVID is still raging in our area. The timing of the USPS running out of funds is critical as it is right at the time ballots would be sent and then required to be mailed back into the Recorder's Office.

My conspiratorial mind has run wild with the fact that the recent appointment of past campaign manager for Trump was icing on the cake for an already crony stacked management of the USPS. Could there be a convenient shutdown of the USPS right before the 2020 November vote? Will ballots be mailed? Will we be able to mail ballots back in to meet deadlines?

Stay tuned....

2. fixj

fixj Active Member

WA is 100% mail in voting, supplemented with drive up locations to drop off ballots.
    It works.

3. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Killing the USPS would be a huge travesty. I have lived in rural America -- the postal system delivered everything -- mail, packages, newspapers, meds, etc. -- anything up to 100 lbs. Otherwise, we had to drive to the rail station or, later on, UPS (which wouldn't deliver 30-miles out in the boondocks). Even today there's no cable, no Internet, no cell service, limited OTA TV. Think about no email, no texting, and possibly no mail! They'd truly be a silent minority.

Everyone I know votes by mail, and I probably know more conservatives than liberals, at least in SC. I can't imagine a lot of SC folk standing in line for 5-6 hours to vote -- but the unemployed under 50 crowd across the nation would have plenty of time and stamina, so it could easily backfire on the GOP.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

There you go IC; you just proved their point. If it were only right leaning republicans sending in ballots, no problem. It's those Godless commie lefties that are obviously out there selling their ballots to George Soros who are forcing the president to by so against mail in voting. Everything is so easy when you break it down to the basics.