Two Really Cool Things Coming

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Oct 9, 2019.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

There's just something about Sun City that compels me to be involved. I suspect understanding the history's makeup plays an enormous role in that inspiration. From the beginning, residents took ownership, dug in and did their part.

As much as i wanted to be part of the long range planning committee, i couldn't sit there and watch stupid play out. I spent the majority of my work life working in and around a not for profit organization and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly up close and personal. It was time to move on.

When i left, it freed me to get more involved in the two other organizations i've been working with. The Del Webb Sun Cities Museum is simply one of the coolest places in the community. The potential is unlimited and we will be testing those limits of growth in the coming years.

The other is SCHOA. I had my issues a couple of years back, and boy have they changed. New leadership has given them new life. They went from being all about being their for their "business partners" to being there for their members and the community. Awesome transformation.

So here's the two things each are on the cusp of releasing:

* On November 1 the museum will hold a "members only" opening for the new addition. If you join for as little as $25 you will get an invitation to the event. For non-members the museum will be open to the public on Nov 2nd and 3rd. The next year, there will be dozens of "member only" events scheduled but more on that later.

* SCHOA is in the process of finalizing a Community Reference Guide. For years they produced a phone book and a community guide. Both were half-assed efforts. This new booklet/magazine format is simply spectacular. It will be delivered to every doorstep after the first of the year. Stay tuned on that one as well.

As we evolve as a community, hopefully we improve and in both these cases that is clearly the case.

Julianna and Emily Litella like this.
  2. BPearson

Just left the meeting at SCHOA a short bit ago and it turns out the community guide will be out around the first of December. Awesome.

3. Julianna

Julianna Member

Emily Litella how do you opt out of the sun city phone book. It’s been years since I have had a land line and forget how to do it. My parents have cox cable. For phones I’m thinking it may be a non issue because of that. Not sure???

4. BPearson

The Sun City phone book will be no more. The community guide will have business phone numbers. All of the information that used to be there is a thing of the past.

The museum does have two books with floor plans available when you walk in. The challenge, much like the website posted above, is in the numbers defining them are meaningless to most owners. They all had names as well, and even those aren't well known.

One of our goals in the strategic plan for the museum is to create a section dedicated to the homes, names, numbers and floor plans displayed on the site based on where they were (phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 etc). Way easier to say than do though. We'll see.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I’ve intended to join so your post prompted me. Maybe I’ll see you at the grand opening.

6. BPearson

Looking forward to seeing you there C.

Cynthia likes this.