TOSC Formatting

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Riggo, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Riggo

Riggo Member

Has this site become essentially unusable because of the formatting issues? I can see the Golf Cart ad well, but everything else is skewed to the right.*

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Hey R, long time no hear...hope all is well with you. The site is an absolute mess, several of us have complained and nothing has been done. Let's face it, there's virtually no money to be made on a site like this so i get it. My ipad won't even show me the forum and my pc doesn't show paragraph spacing so every post is guess work.

The good news is a couple of us are looking at doing a site specific to Sun City.

Don't be a stranger eh.

3. SCR

SCR Active Member

Site Issues

In reply to Riggo and BPearson

The site definitely has problems and it is not browser specific.

Don't know if the issues I describe here are what this thread is about
    and whether or not people have learned how to circumvent them but
    I will offer some workarounds.

Screen not being rendered correctly.
    I can reproduce the same errors using Microsoft Edge and Firefox.
    The only difference I've seen between these two browsers is that
    when you click the "refresh" button on Firefox, 99% of the time
    the screen refreshes and the site is displayed correctly.
    Using Edge, I can attempt refresh as much as I want and it does
    not refresh correctly. Using refresh on the Ipad usually
    works.

An example of what I'm seeing and working around is attached.

Paragraph Spacing.
    As for the paragraph spacing, I had an issue with that at first
    and then figured out how to get around that and make paragraph
    spacing work correctly.

I'll try to attach an image as an example. The image may come
    in a later post to this thread if anyone is interested.

As for starting a site specific to Sun City, AZ, that sounds like
    a good idea, but I believe there was a site for this supposedly
    monitored by the Independent. That site turned into a childish
    disaster and eventually was abandoned.

Attached Files:

4. SCR

SCR Active Member

Emily - What operating system are you using?
    What browser are you using?
    Is your browser at the current release level?

I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox Ver 47.0 and the current version of Edge.

I sometimes have to refresh multiple times in Firefox, but eventually it renders correctly.

5. SCR

SCR Active Member

Emily

Based on your answer I'm assuming you are using Microsofts Internet Explorer on an outdated Operating System.

I just fired up IE and immediately got an incorrectly rendered page. IE was set for Compatibility Mode but using
    the refresh button does not correct the issue.

Windows 7 is outdated and Internet explorer is also outdated (even by Microsofts standards). Internet Explorer
    is also a huge target for hackers.

You may wish to download Firefox (free) and install it and access TOSC through Firefox. If the page does not render
    correctly, try the refresh button. In most cases it renders correctly on the first refresh attempt.

This however is not a fix for the site itself. It's a workaround that you say you are using on your mobile.

6. BPearson

The formatting issues are all over the place and i see no rhyme or reason for them. I can't get paragraph breaks any longer on my pc when i type and have to guess if i have spaced them properly. On my ipad, i have given up completely because usually once i have logged on and click to threads, i get nothing but the top header. I just quit worrying about it and do the best i can with what i have.

7. SCR

SCR Active Member

In response to Bpearson

is the attached image what you are describing as paragraph spacing on your PC?
    If so, the the second image "Switch to source mode" has a button that will fix that for you.

As for your Ipad, see the image "Ipad refresh button". This works for me to correct the
    incorrect rendering of the page.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. BPearson

Hey SCR, l will give that source button a go here as i type this message. Never had a clue what most of those thingies did on the top.

Damn, it worked. Way cool. So i just tried my ipad and that didn't bork out on me, go figure. The next time it does i will try my refresh button.

Thanks SCR.

9. Ida Eisert

Ida Eisert Guest

Hi all,

Who owns the rights to Talk of Sun City? I know that there is an administrator; so is that individual one in the same? What can we do to help in a solution to the formatting fix? Money may be the issue? The solution to the problem is getting in touch with the person making the decisions. Does anyone know who the individual is?

10. BPearson

No one knows who owns it Ida. We've all scratched our heads wondering, but all that got us was gouges on our scalp. Lord knows it wasn't cheap to build this and maintain it as long as they have. In the beginning they were very creative trying to get posters/members, but these types of sites are a challenge to increase usage.

The only thing we know for sure is the RCSC doesn't own it or it would be long gone.

11. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

12. Ida Eisert

Ida Eisert Guest

The private owner seems to me has bought the software package through

"Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
    Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright ©2012-2015" I went on to vBulletin and there is definitely a cost. Various software packages and software upgrades.

13. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Curious but I've never had a formatting problem at home on the PC or tablet or at work on the PC. I usually use chrome on PC but I just tried IE and it works too. I have windows 10. I do clean my temp files and cache on a regular basis, not sure if that could effect it. The only issue I have is the * inserting itself for no good reason.

Someone could easily start a private Facebook group, if anyone wanted to admin it. With the private groups you need to ask the admin to join and posts don't show on your wall except to members of the group. On the landing page it does show members, just not the posts.

FYI, you also do not get the posting on your wall of all the private postings of members of the group ...only those postings that are on the group wall. Photos are better. But of course you don't get the threads listed out like TOC or other forums.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  14. Cynthia

Yes I think they also admin the same type at the Villages in Florida. I remember when it first started and admin was chatting here a bit that they made that statement...they hoped it would interest people the same as it had in the Villages. I don't think it did.

15. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Yes, you can buy vBulletin or, most likely, it is part of the Web hosting package. It all depends on the level of skill or comfort you have running a Web site.

If you don't have the domain name it's a moot point.

Cynthia is correct, we could just do a Facebook group, but it is Facebook and you loose some of the functionality of a full blown bulletin board.

OR...we could start our own website with our own Original Sun City domain name. I would be willING to set it up and cover the cost.

16. BPearson

Got a pm today from a poster here who has a Go Daddy account that is just sitting there. Here's where i show my naivete and just ask, once you have a URL and a web host, can you change the URL and keep the site (of course rebuilding it). The account is good for several years and the pester graciously offered to let us use it to start a newer version of this.

Any value or are we better starting from scratch?

17. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

You can't change the domain name.

I can go into redirects and CNAME's if you want, but they are messy and only serve to confuse people. I can't even remember if godaddy let's you do them.

Domain names are cheap. Web hosting can also be inexpensive, godaddy is probably the most well known hosting site. I used to use site5.

Or, there is always the option of spinning up your own Web server. Been there, done that, did not find it to be enjoyable.

I have a godaddy account...we can discuss getting a different site.

18. SCR

SCR Active Member

Bpearson

There is a way to make your paragraph formatting automatic.

If you click on "USER CP" in the upper left corner you will go to your user control panel.

Once there, scroll down to My Settings, then to My Account, and click on "General Settings"

Scroll down to the bottom and under "Miscellaneous Options" click the button "Enhanced Interface". Then be sure to
    click the SAVE button at the bottom.

I've set my setting as above, and paragraph formatting is automatic as you type.

19. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I click on the house in the upper left hand corner.
    Then I click on the back arrow.
    That gives me a full page.

20. Cynthia