The New Board Members

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by FYI, Dec 14, 2021.

1. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

That's true but, perhaps the bylaws can be amended and an exception can be added that would allow for some of those expenditures? Especially for funds that would provide for the necessary security equipment such as alarm systems and cameras.

OneDayAtATime likes this.
  2. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Probably not hardware or software, but it sure seems like the infrastructure (if that is the right term for it) might fall under the 15 year span.

3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Question:

Now that Karen McAdam has won reelection, what do the bylaws say about being able to run for a second full 3 year term? Hmmm?

She only served for about 6 months, less than half of a full term so I'd suspect that she would be fully eligible to serve a second 3 year term.

Even the President of the United States gets to serve for 10 years! If he/she filled a vacancy that was less than 2 years it allows him/her to serve 2 full 4 year terms!

What will they try to pull on Karen?

4. OneDayAtATime

Shhhhhh!

eyesopen likes this.
  5. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Did you know? There was a time when board members were limited to 1 one year term? The constant turnover was challenging so they allowed for 1 two year term. Then they went to staggered three year terms and finally in the mid 2000's they added a second 3 year term. In retrospect, it may have been a mistake.

All of which begs the question? Perhaps those living here now don't want the inconvenience of responsibility, of ownership. Just maybe they would rather let a handful of people at the top make every decision and those of us who think accountability should matter are out of touch with reality. Lots and lots of boomers became comfortable with the idea, let somebody else worry about it, not my problem. Is that where we are?

Cheri Marchio likes this.
  6. jeb

jeb Active Member

I think its clear that's where we were. I think where we are tomorrow is for us to decide. I'm all for supporting and praising elected volunteers as much as possible (we didn't have much opportunity for that this past year...) so that good people want to run for the Board. It seems like it spirals up from there.

Cheri Marchio likes this.
  7. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Attitude Is Your Paintbrush: It Colors Every Situation

Let’s transform negative, pessimistic attitudes into positive, optimistic attitudes. It may be infectious!

Keep the excitement of recent MEMBER participation and amazing success for a productive and successful new year.
    Twenty- twenty two, much to do, TOGETHER!

( Title borrowed from the book by author, Jim Moore.)

3cavkings likes this.
  8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

So...are you asking us to polish a turd?

You know darn well there are things that are very wrong and simply making believe they're not will change nothing!

9. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Let me say, you are both right. I always want to be optimistic, yet at the same time we need be realistic. I have no interest in becoming fatalistic. I've always written and said, Sun City is a great place to move to. My issue is we could be so much better. Concentrating power/control in one place was a giant mistake. My argument was always to open up discussions regarding both the future and current hot button items to the membership; i was talking to myself.

I know it's cumbersome and at time inconvenient but it allows for broader discussions and more options. I saw no downside, but the gm had her agenda and obviously she felt she knew what was best for Sun City. Sadly, she didn't and the boards over the years were never willing to push her.

10. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

And then there's the Long Range Planning Committee! That's the committee that should be pointing out to the board that there's trouble in paradise! Yeah, knowing the utilization of the facilities is important but is everybody happy?

Utilization has become the be-all to end-all for that committee, meanwhile, with the addition of Grand Avenue and the consolidation of Club's we have more empty space available than we know what to do with.

Our Club has spent several hundred dollars purchasing software, scanners, and special printers just so we can scan our attendance at the Club using a bar code scanner to satisfy the RCSC's obsession with utilization! Why do the individual Clubs have to purchase this equipment when it's no real benefit to us? RCSC should be the one's providing the Club's with that technology!

The more you find out about the RCSC the darker it looks and it shouldn't be that way. We should learn how things run and say "Wow, that's great" but we can't.

11. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

No rose colored glasses, there is work to do together. With the dynamic of the new board yet to be determined, it at least is a new beginning. I choose to be optimistic.

12. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

And that's the optimal word, "optimistic."

I too am optimistic with the incoming board but only time will tell. We must hope for the best but also be prepared if things don't seem to be changing.

eyesopen likes this.
  13. Cheri Marchio

Cheri Marchio Active Member

This prevailing attitude is understandable but certainly, we can work with it. The importance of robust, working committees are even more important.

eyesopen, jeb, FYI and 1 other person like this.
  14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Having experienced being on a committee where the chair, being a board member, made personal opinions on what the rest of the committee members should know, I think we need to be careful about who becomes the chairperson of the committees.

I'm not sure, but will find out exactly what a chair can and cannot do, after all, they are part of the committee as a member as well, and in my opinion they are the chair to simply facilitate the meeting and not be dictatorial and tell or withhold information because of their personal opinion.

Remember, members of the committee get to vote on what they want to do and just because the chair doesn't agree doesn't mean he/she can stop it!

All I'm saying is, if you decide to sit on a standing committee, don't allow the chair to guide you to where you don't want to go. It's up the entire membership of the committee to decide that by virtue of a vote!

15. OneDayAtATime

That was an item that I had on my list of wants....seeing if the Chair could be a Member, and the Co-Chair the Board member. We also need to get that message out to more people. So much to do....so little time!

eyesopen and Cheri Marchio like this.
  16. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

According to the Bylaws:
    "All committees shall have a Board of Director as Chair and Co-Chair who shall be approved by the Board in January each year."

17. Say What

Say What Active Member

What needs to be done immediately in front of all membership is lit all the Hawaiian shirt people employees know that they don't tell the board what to do the board dictates what they do Bill Cook has no say on what the board does!

eyesopen likes this.
  18. OneDayAtATime

Well, it can be approved in January and then we can start working on that bylaw change!!

eyesopen likes this.