The Amish

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by pegmih, Jun 14, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I was going to post about the Amish use of celery.
    Instead I will tell you how they use celery at weddings.

Weddings are typically held on Tuesdays and Thursdays in November to early December, after the harvest. The bride wears a new blue linen dress that will be worn again on other formal occasions. She wears no makeup and will not receive an engagement or wedding ring because the Ordnung prohibits personal jewelry.

The marriage ceremony itself may take several hours, followed by a community reception that includes a banquet, singing, and storytelling. Newlyweds spend the wedding night at the home of the bride's parents.

Celery is one of the symbolic foods served at Amish weddings. Celery is also placed in vases and used to decorate the house instead of flowers. Rather than immediately taking up housekeeping, the newlywed couple will spend several weekends visiting the homes of friends and relatives who attended the wedding.

To learn more about the Amish, click HERE

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

I have been to the amish country of Pennsylvania.... really nice up there...

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

You might be interest to know that there are a couple of Menonite groups near Sun City.
    I have talked with several of them.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Beverly Lewis has written novels with an Amish theme.
    I have enjoyed all of them and intend to read more.