Sun City AZ,,, still the best game in town.

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Apr 14, 2015.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

One of the problems with boards like this is the messages almost always come across different than intended. We don't get to see people's faces, body language and the tone of what transpired to get them to write what they have. It's a catch 22, because without their existence we live with rumors (or worse yet, knowing nothing) and with them people may well get the wrong message/impression.

I'll use myself as an example: I tend to like to use humor and a bit of silliness when posting (we often take ourselves way too seriously). My comments also can be viewed as biting, snarky and quarrelsome. I know some of the staff and board would prefer I didn't engage people in this manner. The reality is, it is one of the reasons I left the board, because of the limits on what I wrote or what I could say as a board member.

The simple truth, at least for me is, Sun City is something very special because of those qualities. The right to speak out, the right to take ownership, the right to question what and why things are being done. It is the purest process of governance I have come across and even with its failings from time to time, it works...and it has worked for 55 years.

The beauty of Sun City is if you see something you don't like or that ****es you off, put your hand up and go fix it. There's always a shortage of people willing to get involved. I mean really, what you rather do: play golf or sit in a committee meeting bored to death? Even with our occasional shortcomings, we still are the best value around, with the best values in place. Our process of self-governance works.

A realtor friend of mine called me last night and said he had to leave before I spoke and wondered what I said? I told him, but rather than blather on in this thread, I'll start another about the PIF and why I am so opposed to the increase based on what I heard yesterday.

As far as the question; what will the board do regarding this matter? The answer is just around the corner as they will take an action one way or the other at the next board meeting. I'll double check but it should be April 30. You may want to be in the room for that.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I agree about sometimes the sarcasm or lightness of a comment is taken wrong. I hate using emoticons but perhaps we should use them more on this site. It was never a question that I would spend my retirement years in Sun City.

A couple things I'd like to say that do bother me that I heard at the meeting:

First is that Baby Boomers don't want to volunteer and the second that just being a 3rd generation Sun Citian gives you some sort of standing. Many Boomers(myself included in that group) are volunteering and it stings when it is always said. We could say the same about the "old retired folk" that come here just to play. Everyone has something to offer because the more that step forward lightens the load of the few now serving.

If you are lucky enough to be a 3rd generation Sun Citian......how many committees or volunteer programs have you been involved with?? I was raised in a family that believed in volunteering. Everyone has some talent or a spare hour or two. I am a 3rd generation-er and have volunteered for more than 12 years now(even when I was a snowbird and worked). Your worth to Sun City is only as good as what you're willing to learn about its history and contribute.

I guess I didn't need a smiley face - :tennis:

3. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Sun City is still the best value out their, bar none!! This community has thrived for more than 50 years, and will continue to grow as long as the right leadership guides the ship correctly. History proves the pitfalls of merely throwing money at an issue; lost monies, less bang for the buck, and unhappy clientele. Having a clear course with a sound vision is what keeps this community such a spectacular place to live

I wouldn't live anywhere else, and if you ask, neither would most residents that love their Sun City lifestyle

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Spot on E. I can name 5 times in the past years where the RCSC board of directors had a motion on the floor and once they heard people out realized they should take a step back and reconsider. It's the purest process of governance I have come across and why I find Sun City such an appealing place to live.

Hopefully this next board meeting will add number 6 to that list of smart choices.

5. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

By far Sun City is the best game around.
    I have been looking for a retirement spot for about 3-4 years and each time my wife suggests a state or community to look at I find that it just doesn't even come close to the value the original Sun City offers.

HOA board member's come and go along with their drama. We currently have a bully as the HOA president in our community. He was pushing hard his personal item and someone reminded him that there is a recall process and he backed down. Other board members then chimed in with their opinions on the issue and it got tabled.

As was pointed out Sun City is about volunteering and giving back. That is the world I grew up in, you give back to the community/nation when/where you can. I disagree that boomers don't volunteer, however I believe boomers will not volunteer unless they see the value of their time given. If they don't see the clear value, you won't get their time.

From my outsider point of view Sun City has it all; Affordability, activities, health care close by, opportunities to serve, weather (mid summer excluded), sense of community.

Mentioning weather, I would welcome AZ summer heat right now compared to yesterday weather here in CO. Yesterday 34 and wet sticky snow, now 37 with rain/snow mix. :disgust: