So - why bother?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Mar 4, 2024.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Why should I attend the Annual Membership Meeting? Why are there three other posts on TOSC about it? What makes it so important? What's in it for me?

Taking part in the history of Sun City, for one. And showing your friends, neighbors and acquaintances that you take the responsibility of living in Sun City seriously. Plus, the press release mentioned something about light refreshments!

Since its inception, Sun City has been all about community involvement and activism. It was built around a premise of buyers taking ownership in the process of self-governance.

Your first step on your way to your involvement was when you stepped into the Cardholder office at the Lakeview Recreation Center and signed the Facilities Agreement. Pursuant to RCSC’s Restated Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Bylaws, and Board Policies, each and every Owner is obligated to pay assessments and fees imposed when due, whether or not the Owner occupies the Property or uses the RCSC facilities. With the signing of those documents comes a responsibility to you. Just like a buyer of stock, you become a shareholder in your corporation. Besides moving here to have “fun,” you are also agreeing to participate in the business of running the RCSC, your RCSC. You do this by voting in the yearly election for the candidate of your choice and by attending and participating in your Annual Membership Meeting.

The meeting has evolved over time. The quorum started out at 100, but things began to change by mid-2000. The board was enacting changes that some in the community were not in favor of. Paranoia set in, and a decision was made to change the quorum to 3,500. That change was passed at the end of 2009 thus signaling the end of a true Annual Membership Meeting for many, many years. Even reducing the quorum to 1,250 didn't help. Quarterly Board meetings became yearly, and attendance dropped off when members realized that the quorum was too high to be met. They also felt stymied about their lack of participation in the governance of their community.

On Monday, December 2021, the Membership met the quorum for the first time since 2009. While the motions that Members presented did not come to fruition, it sparked a realization that Members do matter in this community and can make a difference. On June 29, 2023, the sitting BOD passed the second vote needed on a motion to the bylaws to reduce the quorum to 500. A huge victory for the Membership was recognized by all. Those who fought hard to get the quorum at a level that could be met celebrated, and the meeting in November, 2023 was successfully run with Members' motions brought before the Board - and voted upon - by the Members! The Members now feel energized and included in the processes necessary to run our beautiful community.

Please do consider joining us on Wednesday, March 12 at the Sundial Auditorium for our 2024 Annual Membership Meeting. There are rules (listed below) and if a quorum is not reached, the business section of the meeting cannot take place. However, you, our most valued Members, are welcome to stay and bring your questions or concerns forward, time permitting.
    • Registration begins at 5 pm (Hopefully there will be a lot of people registering at the same time, but the RCSC staff has it under control.)
    • Meeting begins at 6 pm
    • Must bring your Member Photo ID card; No key fobs; No golf cards
    • No Privilege Cardholders are allowed to attend.
    • Sundial Auditorium = 14801 N. 103rd Ave.
    I hope to see you there!
    Jean Totten, RCSC BOD Secretary and Chair, Outreach and Communications Committee

2. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Good read Jean and sadly, we are where we are because of what we have done. The decisions made since 2009 were part and parcel of rebuilding and rebranding a community where fun was the essence of our being. To hell with ownership, accountability and responsibility, just have fun. Ignore what is going on around you and let the board and the general manager make every decision. How did that work out for us?
    1). 20 million dollars in deferred maintenance.
    2). Technology so outdated we couldn't do even the most basic of functions.
    3). Our golf courses becoming the playground for non-members and badly abused by excessive rounds.
    4). A board angry at members who showed up and spoke up with a now departed GM who threatened to have us arrested for being in our building.

But wait, we were able to brag; we are/were the cheapest. Of course that was predicated on two members living in a household, rather than one. For a couple, it was and we still are a bargain. And now we are going to have to pay for it all at inflated prices that came following the pandemic. Worse yet, bringing members back is little more than begging and cajoling them to become willing and active participants in their future.

Much like i told the GM in 2012 as i was elected, we can do it over a 10 year period by investing our energies and efforts in a strategic marketing, education and communication plan that reached an average of 2000 new home buyers per year. That was far more than half of Sun City's population that we could entice to get involved. She looked at it through a different lens; better than half the population we could push away and create a community where fun was more popular than volunteerism and ownership.

We've turned the corner, but it won't be fast or easy. Every problem comes with fixed disagreements over direction. Something as simple as a fan becomes challenging. There's at least two sides to every issue and often times there isn't a right or wrong. That means boards and the GM need the wisdom of Solomon; it often means splitting the baby with results unpopular for both. And, that is exactly why members need be/should be involved and attend the Membership meeting.

eyesopen and Linda McIntyre like this.
  4. Happy Hippie

I said 'wow' because I felt I was transported back in time to Sister Mary Theresa's class in 1965 and had an inexplicable urge to say 3 Hail Mary's and an Our Father. No, I don't have to go to a board meeting if I don't want to. I might vote, I will pay my assessment, however the rhetoric from board, past board is not the way to win friends and influence people. Neither is demeaning people who disagree with you politically or who don't like certain aspects of Sun City. Bill you were on the board, so should we assume you were part of the problem we are facing today? Why should I give up my retirement time to attend meetings when you don't listen to members anyway? One example is 100 people showed up at a meeting re the dog park. They voted to keep it open. Now there is a sign on the fence dated 3/1/24 stating the park will close 4/1. (Posted to Nextdoor) It's been two months and I am still waiting for a call back from SCF regarding a question I had about the paperwork after several emails and messages. It's a moot point now as my assessment is paid, so no need for a collection agency or lien on my home. I joined this group using a pseudonym, but someone did not respect my right to privacy and used my real name posting in all caps and bold that "no one gives a shit about me anyway", which is fine. In the grand scheme of life absolutely none of this stuff matters. ----Josie

5. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Josie,
    I will agree with your statement - "No, I don't have to go to a board meeting if I don't want to." Becoming a property owner in Sun City and signing the Facilities Agreement gave me the "right" to attend the Annual Membership Meeting. I treasure that right. I am a Member. The RCSC is giving me the right to attend. My property here in Sun City is probably one of the most expensive things that I own, and in being a responsible person to myself and to my community, it is to my advantage to attend.

However, I don't agree with your statement - "however the rhetoric from board, past board is not the way to win friends and influence people. Neither is demeaning people who disagree with you politically or who don't like certain aspects of Sun City." You state from board (this board, past board, board two years ago???). Well, in case you haven't noticed (and if you don't attend meetings or listen to explanations) the present board has gone out of its way to be more open and communicative to the Members. I cannot speak for past Boards or past Board members. I personally have never demeaned you.

You go on to say: "Why should I give up my retirement time to attend meetings when you don't listen to members anyway? One example is 100 people showed up at a meeting re the dog park. They voted to keep it open. Now there is a sign on the fence dated 3/1/24 stating the park will close 4/1. (Posted to Nextdoor)" I cannot speak to anything on the Nextdoor site. What I can give you is a link to the 2.29.24 Board meeting where the GM, Matthew D'Luzansky, talked about Duffeeland Dog Park. Here is the link: (Duffeeland Dog Park) Just click on it. You may have to listen to the announcement that is given at the start of all our YouTube broadcasts. This is the last that I have heard from management about the subject. If something else has taken place, I am not aware of it. I suggest you take your concerns right to the GM at mdluzansky@suncityaz.org; cc his assistant, Debbie Giles (dgiles@suncityazz.org). Instead of talking about what might be, go to the source of the truth.

You said "It's been two months and I am still waiting for a call back from SCF regarding a question I had about the paperwork after several emails and messages. It's a moot point now as my assessment is paid, so no need for a collection agency or lien on my home." For something as important as this, I would think that you would ask to speak to whomever is in charge of the Foundation or go to the Lakeview Office after setting up an appointment. If you remember, in an email exchange on the RCSC Board site, I volunteered to take you to Lakeview since you have issues. You declined. For those not knowing, the SCF is the Sun City Foundation. It is a separate non-profit from RCSC. (ARTICLE II - SUN CITY FOUNDATION ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION; ARTICLE II, Purposes and Powers
    A. General Purposes of the Corporation. This Corporation is organized, and will be operated, exclusively for the benefit of, to perform the functions of, and to carry out the purposes of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation, and to carry out exclusively charitable and educational purposes. In pursuing such purposes this Corporation shall:
    (i) Promote and support the activities of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc., which inure to the well being and common good of the members of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc. who are residents of Sun City, Arizona; (amended 11-09-06)
    (ii) Promote and encourage the growth of programs which maintain and support the unique “Sun City lifestyle” provided by the Recreation Center facilities:
    (iii) Foster and support such other activities of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc. which further the cultural and educational and other life enrichment projects and purposes of the members of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc. who are residents of Sun City, Arizona: and (amended 11-09-06)
    (iv) Do and perform such acts as may be necessary or appropriate in carrying out the foregoing purposes of the Corporation and in connection therewith to exercise any of the powers granted to nonprofit corporations by the laws of the State of Arizona consistent with the Corporation’s status as an organization exempt from federal income tax under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended.
    This Corporation is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended, and is intended to be an organization
    (v) which is exempt from federal income tax under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended, and
    ( vi ) which is not a private foundation within the meaning of the Internal

You concluded with "In the grand scheme of life absolutely none of this stuff matters." If you feel so strongly, why do you bother to write these rebuttals and continue to poke the bear? We only get one chance at Life, and I sincerely hope that yours takes an upturn for the better.
    Jean Totten

Linda McIntyre likes this.
  6. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Regarding Duffeeland Park
    Requirements were announced to keep the dog park open at the 2.29.24 board meeting.

The club was informed they had until the board of directors’ meeting to propose a draft for monitor requirements and if no action was taken the park would close Feb. 29. An extension was granted by the board Feb. 29 to give the club additional time to provide a “revised and more complete action plan” as requested. The deadline was set as April 1.

7. Happy Hippie

Thx Jean, you just made my points for me. As far as posting here or on any other social media site, last I checked I still have my First Amendment rights. Believe it or not others living here feel the same way I do. If they didn't the meetings would be standing room only. The moderator of this site is rarely, if at all available or I can assure you I would be long gone. If the lead/moderator was a SC member this would be an autocracy just like FB and ND chat rooms.

As far as poking the bear I was not aware there was a bear to poke. You are saying somewhere there is a mean grizzly, and we better toe the line, and anyone with a different view/opinion pokes the bear when they state it. Is that meant to intimidate?

My issues with SCF could have been resolved with a quick phone call or email. I did not need to go there in person and it wasn't a choice for me at that time..

"In the grand scheme of life absolutely none of this stuff matters." I believe that statement for the exact reason you stated, we only get one chance at life, no one gets out of here alive. I worked hard all my life doing things others told me to do and enjoyed working immensely. Now I am retired and as long as I play by the rules if I don't want to do something I won't. The bear does not dictate what I do with my time.

"and I sincerely hope that yours (life) takes an upturn for the better". I find this statement interesting as well as insulting, almost as though you feel superior to me. You know nothing about me, my life, my past, absolutely nothing, yet you believe it's fine to judge and make assumptions. I could make some statements as well, I just don't play like than unless someone gets really down and dirty. Did it ever occur to you that your writing style may be a little off-putting and demanding? That is why it reminded me of the nuns.

Re Duffyland the post at the park is a printed copy of an email from Debbie Giles. I would love to upload a copy but this site does not have that option.

*Quick Edit* while waiting for my niece to arrive. I have been listening to Kim Komando for about 20 or so years. Award-winning host on 510+ radio stations, Podcaster, FoxNews & USA Today columnist, wife, & mother based in Phoenix. A bit of advice about her formula for success: "Too long, won’t read: Eight sentences or longer, and 57% of people skim or ignore parts of your email. Pro tip: Put the most important info in the first line or write in bullet points to save time. So smart." Her point...novella's are generally ignored.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  8. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

“As far as posting here or on any other social media site, last I checked I still have my First Amendment rights.” HH

The First Amendment protects speech from government censorship. But what about on social media?

Social media platforms are private companies and are not bound by the First Amendment. In fact, they have their own First Amendment rights. This means they can moderate the content people post on their websites without violating those users' First Amendment rights.”

From Freedom Forum,
    Free Speech on Social Media: The Complete Guide: https://www.freedomforum.org/free-speech-on-social-media/

old and tired and Linduska like this.
  9. Happy Hippie

You are absolutely correct. They are run just like little autocratic governments. It's the reason I reopened my X (Twitter) account. Musk believes in free speech. Who knows, now that ND has a new CEO maybe people will be allowed to have differing opinions there as well?