""Smart Home" Gadgets

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by J_and_V, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

What does Sun City West have?

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Good question C; to my knowledge, they aren't any different than we are. We have wifi at every facility, but that's a far cry from the community being networked as a whole.

It is curious, because back a dozen years ago when I was volunteering at the Visitor Center we toyed with the idea of a community-wide wifi. They were out there, even back then, but let's face it, costs would be significant on the front end and that says nothing about the back-end where providers would be looking to sue you into oblivion.

I haven't paid much attention to it, but I see Goggle and the community they are working with are now facing legal actions by one of the providers being impacted. In the world of free enterprise, the ramifications of taking on COX or someone of that size is staggering.

Not saying I wouldn't want to see it, but let's let others plow that ground. There's always the question: is the squeeze worth the juice?

3. Mullet

Mullet Member

I think broadband would be a good thing to be out front on. Good (fast) access to the digital highway is only going to be more important as time passes. This would be another great way to set yourself apart as a community. Having recently explored the Internet options, I'm not impressed. Cox is over priced and I'm already wondering about their service. CenturyLink doesn't offer the speeds necessary for many of today's demands. Thus, Cox acts like the monopoly they are.

There are cities around the country that have put in their own broadband infrastructure. Legal issues generally only arise when states allow cable monopolies to write/influence the legislation protecting said monopolies. Certainly seems worth exploring.

4. Cynthia

Careful Emily, you could start a riot. Power to the (old) people.

5. Cynthia

haha. Good one

6. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

If you are interested in this type of thing, I found this:

http://www.cnet.com/smart-home/

I'm headed home to KY week after next, I wonder if I can find this house?