Selling the Compound...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

Any serious offers?

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Nope, just getting it ready for it's first coming out party. We did a "pocket listing," which means it is only being shown by Tempus agents. For now, there is no sign or MLS listing. On Thursday of this week, the Nixon's will host a wine and cheese party here for the agents in their office. We aren't in a hurry, but if the right buyer comes along we would act on it. Just been cleaning it up with some needed touches and it will show better.

Pocket listings are seldom good for the buyer, it limits the potential client base. We already have a small base of potential buyers, but the reason we went with Tempus is they have 60 some agents and sell the majority of homes sold in Sun City. We' ll see how things go on Thursday, how well received it is and then decide on how to proceed.

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

You didn’t go with the never sell in the Arizona summer edict. I bought mid June though.

4. BPearson

Nope, the last month sales from the PIF showed nearly 250 homes sold in May. June will be down a bit but the inventory is next to nothing, especially in larger more expensive properties. It reminds me of selling in January in Minnesota; those out looking are real buyers, not lookers.

5. Cynthia

Yes, I’ve received several calls and a few letters asking if I want to sell. Even from a neighbor looking for a friend. Of course that's typical when you own a house. I get them in LA too, always have. But I received very few in SC until recent months.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. BPearson

When is your actual move here for real date C?

7. pegmih

pegmih Active Member

I bought in JULY!
    While I was still in the state of Washington, I was in contact with an agent who sent me listings.
    When I got to Arizona he showed me places but I purchased my condo thru a friend of my son.
    Needless to say, other agent was not happy.

I am also getting calls from agents.

8. Cynthia

As of now, the first week in January. Could change by a week or so depending on my friend's schedule who's helping me move. I'm going to lean in by moving during the good weather season.

9. BPearson

Way cool C. Brings back so many memories of those last few months before we could finally move here. We bought in July of 99 and moved here in May of 03. Paid no attention to the summer heat, we just marveled at the idea of seeing the sun every day. I would venture to say that first year was the best. Every day was a new adventure with the entire community in front of us just waiting to be tried. Damn, it doesn't get better than that.

10. Cynthia

Not sure where you moved from but I already see the sun everyday.:) I am looking forward to retiring after 49 years of working. Moving has it's pros and cons for me. I've moved to several different states in my years...just hitched up a small trailer on my car and went. Never worried about much in doing it. But I was a younger then. Although I already have a house with this move, I still have a bit more trepidation than in the past... for a few reasons. Most of which concern my dogs. I worry about all the "coyotes attacking pet while on a walk stories" I read. I worry an accident will happen to me and there is no one to step in for a few days for the dogs (I do have someone in Calif. to take them if something happens long term). A single person's worries I guess. I'll have to work something out but I haven't found the right thing yet.

11. BPearson

Minnesota, kind of says it all...lots of gray. One of the things that has changed more than i like is how there is less block watch groups across Sun City. Back in the day, there was a closeness that was comforting from neighbor to neighbor. Unfortunately with all of the technology that keeps people connected back home and other places there's less interaction between people. I would hazard a guess those of you living on Dawn Lake still keep some of that looking out for each other mentality in place. A for sale sign went up across the street from us, our neighbor found out we were selling and decided it was time for him to move to something smaller and closer to relatives.

The message is simple for new buyers, get to know your neighbors,. Some will be older some younger, some will want no part of you, most will be hospitable and welcome you with open arms.

12. Cynthia

I do know a two of my neighbors already, enough to call them on the phone, which is not bad for only breezing in and out for a few days a few times a year. Dawn does have a block watch they started recently. It does seem to be a bit of a community within the community with potlucks and such a few times a year plus the regular meetings. Not yet sure about the looking out for each other mentality but there is a chance for that. I always meet my neighbors wherever I live and speak to them on occasion. I think it's strange not to know at least some of your neighbors, regardless where you live.

13. BPearson

I like this thread, i like it a lot. Obviously because of the high reader following, but more importantly, it's moved into one of my favorite subjects on Sun City. I've written it too many times to count, but invariably it comes back to what makes us a marvelous place to buy into and to live. We are steeped in the construct of both a value driven community,and more importantly one with values.

Meeker's genius wasn't just about making it affordable, but about insuring the tenets he built into it would stand the test of time. At the base was the idea of self-governance, but equally as important was we would watch out for one another. The target has moved a little, as society has evolved, but in the end the sense of community that began with an idea that everyone came from somewhere else is just as true today as it was 58 years ago. We need each other and the sooner new buyers come to grips with it, the more cohesive the community is.

How does it get better than that?

14. BPearson

Finally broke down and we are having a sign and the MLS listing posted this weekend. For some odd reason i thought Tempus Realtors had buyers waiting int the wigs to buy our home. Dumb on my part.

Pictures taken today and i will post a link to the listing once it is up. As much as i think i know, i am always learning i have way more to learn.

Go figure.

15. pegmih

pegmih Active Member

Will there be an open house? I would like to go.

16. BPearson

Hoping to sell it without an open house, but we will see.

17. aggie

aggie Active Member

Saw it up on Zillow this morning. Good luck!

18. BPearson

Thanks aggie's; here's the link to the posting on Zillow. Some issues with the pics, but we are working on that. If you don't want to click on the link but want to know the price...it's $349,000.00.

I told you early on this was as much a social experiment as anything. Cool, because yesterday we met with Tim Nixon who posted a picture of the house on his Facebook page with a link to this thread "selling the compound" In less than 24 hours there has been another 100+ hits on this thread. Not sure how many have come from his Facebook page, but clearly it has increased the traffic.

I've long been a proponent of using interactive websites and social media sites and meld them into telling the Sun City story. Everyone tends to splinter them rather than create a conscious connection and cohesive story. Perhaps folks reading will come to grips with the potential of a planned strategy to promote the community that works with the technology most of us use daily.

19. sussea

sussea Member

Your home is gorgeous. I especially love the back yard.

20. Ida Eisert

Ida Eisert Member

Good Luck Bill on the sale of your home. Just a note: Pocket Listing are seldom good for the SELLER. "Suggesting a pocket listing. ... This in itself is not illegal or unethical, but if the prospect of a double commission is the reason an agent suggests a pocket listing to the client, then this could violate the Code of Ethics, MLS rules, and laws in most states." https://www.aaronline.com/2014/08/12/beware-of-pocket-listings/ https://www.nar.realtor/realtor-ae-magazine/law-policy-professionalism-and-pocket-listings Begs the question of what is the sellers best interest?