Sandwiches (including NPR's award-winning one)

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by suncityjack, Aug 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

I heard about this on the radio and it sounded yucky, but tried it and am a believer now. Just remember to order the items as suggested in the article as it does seem to make a difference in how it hits your palate. It's good since it has items usually at hand, peanut butter, tomato, cucumber, onion, well, read it here:
    http://www.npr.org/2013/07/26/205490656/and-the-winning-taste-of-summer-is

2. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Back in Texas - - A favorite of all was A PB Sandwich using duh ? -- white bread, yes ! ! top slice and bottom slice !!!!
    Make sure it is soft ! !

Peanut Butter and Mayonaise - - topped with a nice portion of Fritos ! !

It was so so so good ! ! ! :pig:
    And maybe not healthy ! ! ! Right ! ! I have not had one in years....Cannot make them in my steamer (lol) fortunately !

3. suncityjack

Did you mean the Fritos go in the sandwich or that you topped it off with a side of them?
    I know about the sins of white bread but every now and then I still crazy crave it--soft enough to roll into little dough balls that are probably still sitting in my intestines somewhere....

4. gilmark

gilmark New Member

As a kid, they served white break butter sandwiches cut on the diagonal for school lunches. I always brought my lunch, but occasionally someone would let me have a half. And, when there was extra sandwiches for the day, the school lunchroom assistant would bring them around to the classroom. Such a treat. We only got homemade bread at home!

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Fritos actually go IN the sandwich -- Fritos on top of the mayo which is on top of the peanut butter....TRY IT ! ! So Good ! :tennis:
    Oh, so absolutely good -- and agree -- when that white bread is so soft it makes a "dough ball" -- You got some "great but probably un-healthy eats" !

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Reading this made me hungry.
    So I am going to make an avocado sandwich.

7. suncityjack

Well one of these days I will try that interestingly strange sandwich of Anita Mae's, except it will be awhile since I really don't keep those soft white loaves around, or Fritos either, but it's on the list for one of these days. Speaking of loaves of bread, what do all of think of that bakery outlet on Bell near 99th?

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I had not been to bakery outlet, I rarely purchase "bakery and/or that type of item" - - SCJack --
    but friends of mine have been there and are pleased with it......:hypnotysed:

9. archer

archer New Member

I didn't even know we had a bakery outlet..... What brand, brands, do they carry?

10. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I only eat Ezekiel or other sprouted bread. Wish they stocked it, too.

11. archer

archer New Member

I would love to find a Pepperidge Farm outlet.....we have one in our little town here in CO (it's part of our local dollar store). When I can buy a bag of whole wheat mini bagels for $1, or my favorite cookie assortment....I'm a happy camper.

12. suncityjack

Anita Mae, the bakery outlet has lots more than just breads and sugary stuff. I get most of my wheatgerm, flax seeds, Scottish oatmill, etc. there. They carry a great supply of the Tom's Mills line and twice a week seniors get additional 10% (can't rem. which days) and they also slip in a savings flyer in your bag so there are additional savings on a return trip. If you spend more than 7 bucks, you get choice of something on the manager's rack. There's a section for sugarless and there are always special shipments of items. They got in some Voortman's cookies that are whole grain and flax and cranberry. It's a great place for picking up items for church functions. The help is actually helpful too. Boboli pizza shells are there every time I've been there and sometimes the price drops to a buck! Even for the whole wheat one. It really is a nice place.
    Archer, wow, you brought back memories. I like Pepperidge Farm items too, and they were always in competition back East with Arnold's. Favorites included "toasting white," but now I go whole grain mostly or sprouted like gilmark mentioned. Ezekiel and that line of breads is great stuff. It just tastes so wholesome.