RIP Dillon's Restaurant

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by IndependentCynic, May 1, 2019.

1. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

For those who don't yet know, the Dillon's location at Thunderbird & 101 closed Sunday apparently over a landlord dispute. The restaurant has been a BBQ mainstay in the area since the mid-90's. Sure will miss their Brontosaurus beef ribs.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer Famous Dave's for my brisket & ribs. That was a strange location for Dillon's and it's surprising it lasted as long as it did. You can still get your Dillon's fix at Lake Pleasant or Wildlife World Zoo which we've done several times.

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Bummer.

We seldom eat out. For the price you pay and the quality you get, it's often money wasted. Dillion's was one of the exceptions. Being typical Sun Citian's we waited till Groupon came out with their $30 value for $18. We would buy several each and then go about once a month till they ran out. Always good enough to look forward to going back. We've been to the one at the Wildlife zoo and my wife has been to Lake Pleasant. Neither as homey as the one on Thunderbird.

I wonder how many restaurants have closed in and around Sun City over the years?

4. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

That location was a restaurant long before Dillion's or the 101. I remember eating there once long before I knew anything about SC. I want to think it was a German restaurant before Dillion's, but I could be mistaken.

It was the original Dillion's, opened in the late '90s. 20-years is a long run for a restaurant. When Thunderbird Rd. was widened to add turn lanes to reduce growing congestion at 101 it took away some of Dillon's parking and access became more tenuous. Competition from the more commercial eateries on 83rd Ave (in the vicinity of the baseball stadium), those surrounding the football stadium, those that have appeared due to the growth in Surprise around the Bell/Grand intersection, etc. have resulted in many of the restaurants I frequented move/disappear -- I'm thinking Carver's, Furs, Mike's Riggatoni Bistro, Red Devil Pizza, Mandy's Fish & Chips, etc. And, while not a restaurant, we were devastated when Trader Joe's closed their SC store. Life goes on.:)