Recent Macular degeneration informational meeting.

Discussion in 'Medical and Health' started by Anita Mae, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I recently attended the wonderfully prepared and very informative - Morning - Eye Seminar at Sun Dial Rec Center. It had several Doctors speaking on Macular Degeneration, Eye Care, and eye glasses that would keep out the Blue Light (which is the light coming from our computers, and all these modern electronics that we continually keep getting). An interesting morning and a Big Thank You to Sun City for putting it together !

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I promptly went out and got glasses with brown lens.

At my next eye exam and getting new glasses I am considering transition ones.
    I understand there are 2 kinds.
    Any info would be appreciaed. Thank you.

Here is link to macular/glasses

At first I thought I might wear dark glasses at computer.
    After doing so a few times, I decided it was weird.

Now I would like to know how to lower the brightness of screen. Googling has not given any good info.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I used these types of glasses for the computer (not this exact model but it should work) http://goo.gl/tt1Ut I don't need the same magnification that I need for reading glasses however. Computer glasses are usually less strong than the reader (or lower bifocal magnification) For example I use a 2.0 for reading but a 1.0 for the computer because, obviously, the computer is further away than I hold a book. If I use my regular bifocal glasses for the computer, the screen is a bit blurry. These glasses give a light tint of yellow. It does seem to help with the glare of the blue screen. I've been using these yellow tint glasses about 15 years, even before the talk of blue light, because my eyes just feel better with the yellow tint. I don't know how strong the yellow tint needs to be to help with macular degeneration but even a light tint should help somewhat.

4. Cynthia

I had to shorten that Amazon link because it was too long. If it doesn't work for you go to Amazon and search for The Dover Flexible Computer Reader - Reading Glasses. or look for something like them elsewhere. I need a bit of magnification for the computer for my eyes to feel relaxed, but not the far vision.

5. Cynthia

What operating system do you use? so I can help you lower the brightness of your screen

6. Cynthia

I had a brain freeze. If you want to lower the brightness of your screen you do it on your monitor, not your computer, unless you are using a laptop. If you are using a monitor attached to a PC, the monitor most likely has buttons on the front. If you play around with them you will find a brightness adjustment. You can also google your particular monitor manual and you should be able to find it. You might hit a button that changes things and you get frustrated, but I don't know your experience level so maybe you're ok with the frustration. But try to first find the manual and find brightness button.

7. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

My computer is Windows 7. Monitor is HP 2009m
    I have looked all over for info to lower brightness without success.

I just saw something on the bottom
    - + Ok

I pressed - and screen went black (yikes) and said something like check monitor cord.

I pressed + and nothing happened.

I pressed auto and screen returned.

8. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

book

I guess it is time to get out the book.
    Hope I can find it!

9. Cynthia

10. Cynthia

Chapter 4 tells you where to find the brightness control button on the OSD (on screen display).

11. Cynthia

It might he easier to use the software than finding the buttons. It says you have "My Display OSD" software (providing it was installed on your computer) Try searching your computer for My Display OSD. Do it like you search for any file or program. On Windows 7 click on that lower left hand corner Windows logo, then put it in the "search programs and files" search box

12. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I am now trying to locate my buttons on the screen to attempt to also darken my screen a bit....Darn - - I can't even "see" them - - yet alone adjust them ! This modern Technology ! - - Where is my little grandson when I need him ! ! !

13. Cynthia

On some models they are barely visible, they blend in. Use a flashlight. And feel around. They also might be on the R side or even underneath the lower rim of the screen.