Proxy and quorum?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Carol, Nov 26, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I have heard this several times now P_I and i have every reason to believe it is true. To be clear, it is any members right to collect proxy votes, as long as they follow the rules (including the board members). There is a logic behind adherence and it seems to me that logic includes the following: Being recognized as an authorized collector, turning them in a timely fashion, the RCSC then verifies the proxy and it is entered into the data base as both a valid vote and is counted as a member for purposes of reaching the quorum.

Any suggestion by anyone they could follow most of the steps but ignore the others would at the least be illogical and at the worst a violation of the intent of community documents. I suspect the board will have their attorney give them a half-baked rationale for registering the proxy votes the board collects but not counting them unless there is quorum reached, and should that happen, it will only further damage the credibility of the board. My guess is that question will be asked well before the annual membership meeting. Should be interesting as to how they answer it?

BTW Carole, simply amazing.

eyesopen likes this.
  2. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

I guess I'm dense; I don't see what difference it makes who collects the votes. They have to be turned in by this Friday. The BOD members who are collecting them will have to turn in the ones that they collected in order to be valid. So how could they possibly hold them back until they see if a quorum has been reached and if it has, then add theirs? And since we, the members, can't get anything passed that day (according to the bylaws) anyway why bother UNLESS we, the members, reminds them about the passage in the Articles saying "
    In the event of conflict concerning the Bylaws as amended, modified, revised, or revoked by the Directors, the action of the Members shall prevail."

eyesopen likes this.
  3. OneDayAtATime

Just what the Board wants, Aggie!

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

The rest of the story has been; turn in the proxy votes, get them verified but not used in the count to reach a quorum. No idea if it is true or false, but that has been the rumor.

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Or, the BOD can collect as many signatures as possible and not turn them in so a quorum won't be reached. This prevents others from getting these members' signatures to insure a quorum. That would be so bad if it goes this way and probably some type of fraud.

6. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Combined, validated proxy total determines if the 1250 quota is met and the Annual Member Meeting can take place.

IF there is anything the members in attendance get to vote on, the collector of record will have been assigned the number of validated proxy forms they may cast votes for as their representative.

So, Carol, as an official collector of record, if all of your completed proxy forms are validated, YOU will be able to cast your one vote plus all your proxies. You can abstain from voting yours &/or proxies, but why would anyone do that?!?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  7. Carol

Carol Member

Did you personally see her pass them out at the ceramic club? I want to email Bill Cook and ask him if that is OK to do. I have been going house to house to have mine signed and I could get a lot more if I could hand them out at the golf course and have them take them home and sign them.

8. Carol

Carol Member

I would think the only way they could get around it is validating all proxies and if they feel we might have a chance of making the quorum they would then validate theirs. But they should not be able to know that. They have to decide if they are going to validate them or not on the 3rd like everyone else and should not be privy to the count before they make their decision.

9. Carol

Carol Member

I want to email Bill Cook and ask him if it is OK to hand out proxy forms on RCSC property and tell them to go home and sign them and get them back to you. I could sure get a lot more if that is the case. But we only have a few days to do that. I also wonder if I turn in my proxies on Thursday because I don't want to wait until the last minute. Would I still be able to turn some in on Friday. We have a Christmas party at Palmbrook and I would be able to get some more and they could sign them on that property. I guess if I get them all in before 4:00 on Friday I should be fine.

10. OneDayAtATime

I asked that question to the entire Board at the last meeting; president Wilson said "yes."

11. Carol

Carol Member

I was not at the meeting but watched the video. I guess I missed it.

12. Carol

Carol Member

I watched it again and you answered my question Thanks!

OneDayAtATime likes this.
  13. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Did everybody see this post that was on Facebook?

"Regarding Proxies and the required second form.
    I dropped off a completed proxy form at the RCSC corporate offices and asked the receptionist if everything looked ok, she said the form would be checked later. I came to find out that in order for the proxy to be valid, I also needed to sign another form stating that I basically will execute the proxy in good faith, otherwise the proxy isn’t valid.
    So, I went back to the corporate office and filled out the second form. I asked the receptionist why she didn’t mention that I needed to sign the second form to validate the proxy. She said, “you didn’t ask.”"

Can you believe the shenanigan's that the RCSC is pulling? I suppose they were going to wait until the Membership Meeting to tell this person her proxy votes didn't count?

14. Cheri Marchio

Cheri Marchio Active Member

It's looking like there should be more recalls of board members and accountability demanded of the GM to educate his staff to help, serve and guide the members. This crap is unbelievable!

All of these games and information requests are exhausting. How about some transparency and everyone gets some of their life back?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    eyesopen likes this.
  15. SCR

SCR Active Member

Every question I have seen on this forum has been addressed to thE GM. Any question regarding proxies and other data should be addressed to every single board member. The GM ANSWERS to the board. The GM should not be making bylaw changes. The GM should not be answering questions about bylaws. The GM should not be answering questions about proxies. The GM reports to the BOD.
    please please please direct all questions to the BOD.
    If you can’t or won’t do that there will never be changes.

16. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

RIGHT-ON SCR!

The reason we're in the situation we currently find ourselves in is because the board buckled to the General Manager and allowed her too amend the bylaws. We have the tail wagging the dog!

eyesopen and Cheri Marchio like this.
  17. OneDayAtATime

I hope everyone got their signed proxies for the annual Membership Meeting on Dec. 13th to Corporate today. We did good, people! Now--on to the next project!! (Don't post totals on here; remember who reads this :) )

eyesopen likes this.
  18. eyesopen

19. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

(Don't post totals on here; remember who reads this)

I bet the Members of the board spent the day at the corporate office counting the proxies as they were coming in?

20. eyesopen

FROM RCSC document that collectors had to sign to get official proxy form
    Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc (RCSC) Proxy Procedure – Members

(**Is there a document that is for RCSC??)

This procedure documents the steps and qualifications required for RCSC Members to gather Proxy signatures for the Annual RCSC Membership Meeting.

Procedure (**Relevant verification steps)

4. Return all signed Proxy forms to the RCSC Corporate Office at least ten (10) days prior to the Annual Membership Meeting.

5. All Proxy signature forms will be verified by RCSC. (**WHO is/are RCSC?? GM and/or Board members?)

6. RCSC Board Secretary will give notification regarding number of verified Proxies.
    (**When, where, what method of communication? Best be BEFORE the Annual Membership Meeting, not just an opening comment once the meeting begins!!)

What little information there is, members had to beg for and it’s incomplete intentionally, in my opinion. SMH :mad: