"Proof of Age Required"

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by J_and_V, Dec 24, 2015.

1. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

As I tend to do, I am this morning reading the "Sun City Independent".

Middle of the fold, in big letters, "Proof of Age Required". I could not have read a more vague article. Is there a problem? Is Sun City in danger of losing it's age overlay? What is the point of this article? How many potential age violations were reported, how many were investigated? What process is there for checking on these reports?

I don't know Mr Bradshaw (writer of the article), I'm sure he is a very nice person. The type of article he wrote, however, is frustrating.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I was at the meeting that sparked the story and when I read the article, I was as frustrated as you V. One of the candidates for the board made a comment about the age overlay and how SCHOA and the RCSC had to work together. A SCHOA board member responded, leaving the impression there wasn't total cooperation regarding this matter.

I patiently waited my turn and told the audience (including Rusty) that the RCSC and SCHOA have worked together on this matter for years. New resident information is supplied to SCHOA from the RCSC and they in turn do due diligence in checking home ownership. Because anyone can buy a Sun City property, ownership isn't necessarily the primary concern.

Say a 50 year old buys a home and they decide to rent it out (it is in violation of the CC&R's for an owner to rent to anyone under 55). This is the most often cited age violation with renters being tossed on a regular basis. Those calls typically come from concerned residents. SCHOA's follow-up is critical and yearly they submit the statistics to both state and federal agencies. The law allows 80% of those living here to be under 55, but we always tried to stay in 95% range for safety sake.

I would have zero concern, especially now with the new SCHOA board coming on with folks who've been there, done that and some with extensive legal skills.

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

While some poo-poo the work boards do, they are the driving force behind direction within organizations. It's way too easy for staff to drift unless a board is there helping shape direction and policy. I too am excited by the outcome of SCHOA's election and expect we'll see a little change in direction.