Orca

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by pegmih, Jul 5, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

In a recent post (can't find post) someone called the Orca a dolphin.

The Orca is a whale. It is called The Killer Whale, but it is very peaceful. Well, maybe not to the fish it eats!

I was instrumental in making the Orca the Washington State Marine Mammal.

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

How so Peg? Did you work for the State of Washington or for Animals?

3. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

One of my favorite non-profits is the marinemammalcenter.org so it's good to learn of a kindred spirit out there helping them. Thanks for what you did to bring attention to such a splendid creature.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I was a Libaray Media Technician in an elementary school in Oak Harbor WA. The 2nd grade studied whales. I suggested to one of the teachers that we try to make the Orca the State Mammal. The teacher did all the class work around whales - reading, writing, 'rithmetic, etc. They even went to the Whale Museum on one of the islands. The link above mentions a school being responsible.

I contacted every Indian Reservation, many cities, important people, and more. A wonderful congressman offerred to sponsor the bill. A person in Eastern Washington objected so we changed the name to State Marine Mammal. Not many states have one.
    I understand that when the bill was on the floor for consideration that Orca sounds were played much to the distress of some people.

The bill passed on April 4, 2005. I was interviewed by the Seattle Times and had my picture and a long article in the paper.

5. DDArm

DDArm Member

Peg, we are headed up to Washington on the 17th. Can't wait to get out of the summer heat for a few weeks.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Where in Washington are you going?

Be sure to go up in the Space Needle.

Perhaps you can take a Whale Watching Trip. They are rather pricey but fun. The ones I took were out of Anacortes.

For making the Orca the Washington State Marine Mammal, I was given free tickets.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013