Old People with Flashlights

Discussion in 'Sun City Sheriff's Posse - Arizona' started by SCPossecmdr, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SCPossecmdr

SCPossecmdr New Member

Old People with Flashlights
    Last week, at one of our local swimming pools, a gentleman was heard disparaging the Sun City Posse as “just a bunch of old people with flashlights”. Naturally, as Commander of the Posse, my first thought was to approach him and try to change his perception of our organization. The more I thought about what he had said, the more I realized that he was correct. We are just a bunch of old people with flashlights. Of course, in addition to those flashlights, we also have two-way radios, uniforms, and marked patrol cars containing traffic cones, flares, first aid supplies, a power pack to jump start your dead battery, other emergency equipment, and the training to use them all.
    Through May of 2013, we have responded with the Sun City Fire Department to 2,320 medical emergencies. We have assisted the Sheriff’s deputies by directing traffic at 163 vehicle accidents, and checked on the welfare of 149 citizens whose friends or relatives thought might be in distress. We have walked around 4,661 houses whose owners have asked us to do vacation watches while they were away.
    We didn’t choose to be old. That was something that just happened as a result of living a long time. What we did choose, however, was to spend our old age doing whatever we can to help our neighbors.
    If you think you might like to see what we actually do here at the Posse, give our office a call at 623-972-2555. We would be glad to show you around, explain our operation, and maybe even give you a ride in one of our patrol cars. Who knows, you might even end up with a flashlight of your own.
    Every member of the Sheriff’s Posse of Sun City is a volunteer. We receive no funding from any government source, and are funded entirely by the generosity and gratitude of the people of Sun City. To learn more about us, call us or visit our website www.suncityposse.org.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Well said, Commander.
    Why don't I have a flashlight?

3. Sulley007

Sulley007 New Member

Good points and it is a great service to provide! Why don't people look at the positive instead of the negatives?

4. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The Sun City Posse is AMAZING!! I cannot thank the volunteers enough for the hours and service to our community. Even in this heat they are out there doing vacation checks, directing traffic and assisting people in need. I gladly donate to their organization each year and wish I had the stamina for what they are asked to do!!

Thank you!

5. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

I was wondering if you would explain how Neighborhood/Block Watch works and what the Posse's role is with it....Some homes have signs in their windows, some have street signs, etc. Thanks.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

In 2012, I had a Posse member attend our annual condo association meeting and explain the Block Watch. Then I gave each member a copy of the sign for their window. Hopefully, the sign works as a deterent to breakins because neighbors are watching out for each other. That is, if a member sees something suspicious he/she would be prompted to call the Posse who would investigate.

As the Commander has said the Posse is there to help Sun City citizens no matter how small the situation might seem.
    I hope he reads this and can add more information.

7. SCPossecmdr

SCPossecmdr New Member

Block Watch or Neighborhood Watch groups are formed by neighbors who want to watch out for each other, as Peg has described. The Posse can drive by your house, but we don't know if you are at home or away, or if those people in the white van are supposed to be carrying furniture out of your house. This is information you would share with your neighbors. Anyone interested in forming a Block Watch in their neighborhood can contact Master Sgt Dale Brandser, our Crime Prevention Officer, at 623-972-2555. He, or one of our representatives, will be happy to address your group and provide you with signs, literature, and advice on crime prevention in your area.

8. suncityjack

Thank you for the valuable info. I imagine "neighborhood" is a rather fluid term, but are there some guidelines re: the optimal number of homes (ex: more than 3, less than 15, etc.)?

9. SCPossecmdr

SCPossecmdr New Member

The group can be as large or small as you feel you can manage. The Posse will supply advice and some materials (window signs, pamphlets ), the day to day operation and communication with members is handled by the chairperson and assistants.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  10. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Thank you, Commander, I knew you would have more to add.

11. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I think the volunteers, old people with flashlights, are an amazing gift to Sun City. This little city runs very well with volunteers. We see our Posse often driving through our neighborhood. Thank you all for your service.

12. suncityjack

Thank you Commander and others. I will see if I can rouse some interest in my neighborhood once people actually stay put a bit longer--probably October.