New Members Introduce yourself Start A New Thread

Discussion in 'Sun City New Members' started by admin, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lem2015

lem2015 New Member

Happy New Year! My Name is Lloyd and we found Sun City in 2002 and purchased a home in 2003. We did the Snowbird thing for 8 years before moving from Colorado to Sun City for good. It has been a blessing to be able to live in such a active adult community. I have to give a "Shout out" to the RCSC Board as they are continually updating our community. It continues to become not only a more beautiful community but more 'Bang for the Buck' retirement community around. And Thanks to the PRIDES for all their efforts. I just take more Pride in My Community every day.
    Lloyd

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Welcome Lloyd. Delighted to see you log in and join our small group here. In the coming years hopefully we can expand this mode of communications to make our community even better.

3. Flo Palm

Flo Palm New Member

I bought a villa in sun city south Carolina and will be moving in July, looking forward to a new life and meeting new friends, also, learn how to use this site!!!!

4. MrHandy

MrHandy New Member

I am a grand rapids Michigan handyman this is not an ad, I'm thinking about moving back to Arizona I used to live in Tollison but I've moved back to Michigan for the snow. what do you think the chances are of living in Sun City and having a handyman business? I'm not sure how the Sun City thing works. and *I was wondering if I could work at the Sun City, area I found the House I m thinking about buying but I don't want to move there if I've got to drive it to Phoenix to do work I'd rather work where I live, like I do now any help? Thank's

5. g47

g47 New Member

If you are a good handyman and reasonably priced you will get lots of work in Sun City.

You will only be able to do jobs where labor and materials are less than $1000 if you are not a licensed contractor.

David Martin likes this.
  6. BPearson

Hey g47, can you explain this last comment?

7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to AZ Statutes 32-1121 which defines the limits of where a contractor's license is required.

Here's a portion of the criteria:

14. Any person other than a licensed contractor engaging in any work or operation on one undertaking or project by one or more contracts, for which the aggregate contract price, including labor, materials and all other items, but excluding any electrical fixture or appliance that was designed by the manufacturer, that is unaltered, unchanged or unmodified by any person, that can be plugged into a common household electrical outlet utilizing a two-pronged or three-pronged electrical connector and that does not use any other form of energy, including natural gas, propane or other petroleum or gaseous fuel, to operate or is attached by a nail, screw or other fastening device to the frame or foundation of any residential structure, is less than one thousand dollars. The work or operations that are exempt under this paragraph shall be of a casual or minor nature. This exemption does not apply:

(a) In any case in which the performance of the work requires a local building permit.

(b) In any case in which the work or construction is only a part of a larger or major operation, whether undertaken by the same or a different contractor, or in which a division of the operation is made in contracts of amounts less than one thousand dollars, excluding any electrical fixture or appliance that was designed by the manufacturer, that is unaltered, unchanged or unmodified by any person, that can be plugged into a common household electrical outlet utilizing a two-pronged or three-pronged electrical connector and that does not use any other form of energy, including natural gas, propane or other petroleum or gaseous fuel, to operate or is attached by a nail, screw or other fastening device to the frame or foundation of any residential structure, for the purpose of evasion of this chapter or otherwise.

(c) To a person who utilizes any form of advertising to the public in which the person's unlicensed status is not disclosed by including the words "not a licensed contractor" in the advertisement.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  8. g47

g47 New Member

That's it. 32-1121

To qualify for the handyman exemption the job can't require a permit and labor and materials must be under $1000. They also can't do part of a higher priced job. If you are doing a $15,000 remodel you can't have a handyman do $800 of the work since the total cost of the project is $15,000. They have a Most Wanted list for violators and I have heard they have an occasional sting operation to catch them.

9. MrHandy

MrHandy New Member

Thanks for the info, have a license in Michigan but it doesn't transfer so I'll have to pay again

10. MrHandy

MrHandy New Member

Thanks for that, it's the same in Michigan except the limit here is 750$

11. BPearson

Thanks for the info guys, didn't know any of that. The reason i asked was we just had some work done on our rental home (oddly enough the cost was just over $15,000) and the work was done by a guy who has stiffed us on the finish work. Long story short is i will take him to small claims court, but i may have another course of action as an unlicensed contractor. Thoughts?

Anyway, welcome MrH; there's handymen in Sun City, but there's always people looking for small jobs to be done. The Sun City homes are getting older by the day, and while they are really well built, they need some love and some of us just aren't DIY'ers.

Better yet, we get way less snow than Michigan.

12. MrHandy

MrHandy New Member

Love the no snow
    In Michigan if your an unlicensed contractor an your takin to court you automatically lose, not sure about AZ but I would not be surprised if it was similar. Good luck

13. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Many jobs can be broken up into small parts costing less than $1000 to get around that. Not a big remodel of course. California has a per day limit of $500.

14. BPearson

Damn girl, so what you are saying is a handyman in CA only can work 4 hours per day eh?

15. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Actually what I'm (not) saying is nobody cares about that law.

16. g47

g47 New Member

17. efeeleerre

efeeleerre Banned

Hi everyone.

My name is Felipe. Spaniard here writting.

Hope you all have a nice day!

18. BPearson

Welcome Spaniard (geez, i feel like i'm in the movie Gladiator).

19. LMaple

LMaple New Member

Good Hot afternoon to all my Sun City friends. My name is Lloyd Maple and I thoroughly love living in the best kept secret around. Janet and I first purchased a home on Brokenstone in 2003 and became SnowBirds until we sold our home in Colorado and moved here permanently in 2010. We are very active in the community and took the "Community of Volunteers" literately. I ran for the SCHOA Board of Directors and won a seat on the Board. I was asked to become President and served one year.

At the same time I became President of a tax deductible 501-c3 organization called SCRAP that had been created by SCHOA a few years earlier. I bring this up because I had observed the common walls along major streets within Sun City were showing age from not being painted for several years. What I found out is that no one was taking responsibility for their upkeep. Something needed to be done so the Wall Project Committee was formed within the organization SCRAP (Sun City Residents Action Program) and began asking for (Tax Deductible Donations) so the repainting of the walls could begin. This has been a very large undertaking as there are about 30 some miles of walls throughout Sun City of which about 17 miles are painted and needing to be repainted. FYI Sun City RAP has currently repainted about 5-6 miles of walls. We are still needing more donations to be able to finish the rest of the walls. Large or small donations would be appreciated. You can send them to SCRAP, 10401 W Coggins Dr, Sun City, AZ 85351.

20. Arizona Mildman

Arizona Mildman New Member

Hi, I am Steve. I just moved out here. I turned 65 on July 12th, I am a fan of blues music and art. I kind of miss my neighbors and friends but hope to make more out here. I am a native of Phoenix and have moved away a few times but something kept me coming back repeatedly. I am a retired carpenter and maintenance man. I have two daughters, four grandkids, and one great grandchild, so far. I have been on social media of some type ever since 1989 and will try to remain active here. I am told I have a gift for writing. I like playing the harmonica. I am now grateful to have a forum to communicate with others here and am curious about what activities I can get into.