Mountainview...Awesome Plans, but...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 10, 2020.

1. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I'm sure the architectural firm that compiled that presentation cost a pretty penny, so I can't imagine they wouldn't know the county codes regarding parking! If they didn't take those and other code restrictions into consideration then those plans aren't worth the paper they were written on!?!?

2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Well, if you look at page 10 of the presentation on the RCSC website you'll see that the AFP (Area Floor Plan) for 01 and 02 Program, which apparently includes first and second floor square footage is just over 58,000 square feet.

Now, if you look at the Maricopa County Zoning Ordinance PDF file, (see link below) page 188, you can kinda figure out how many parking spaces are required. Assuming using "1102.1.2 Public Assembly Uses", "All other public assembly uses", is the correct definition, then they would need to provide almost 300 parking spaces!?!?!? It would be one parking space for every 200 square foot!

https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4785/Maricopa-County-Zoning-Ordinance-PDF

aggie likes this.
  3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I wonder if on the days that there is a sold out theater or music event, all other activities for the center would have to close down? Parking for the theater would take precedent over those wanting to use the pool, workout, use the walking track or any activity at the other offerings i.e. mini golf, gymnasium, lawn bowling etc.

4. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

And perhaps another good reason that the theater should be a stand alone structure?

5. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Great comments gang and my thoughts exactly. The cars per sq footage is one thing, the bigger question becomes how is parking allocated for all the outside venues? Did it look to you like we actually lost parking spaces?

6. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

It's difficult to tell from the drawings if parking space was reduced. We have to keep in mind that we rely on median parking which is owned by the County. We also can't count on Sun City Country Club to allow parking in their spots on a regular basis. The new structures may not necessarily reduce spaces but we are increasing the number of people that may be using the facility at one time.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this project to get underway as repairs to Viewpoint Lake and reducing green areas at golf courses are sure to eat up the PIF first.

7. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Being that I never attended a theater event I can only make the following comments as assumptions, which is still fun to do and might even spur further thought!

So let's play a game and work the numbers backwards...

Let's start with the assumption that the theater will hold 400 seats. Now lets assume that 2/3rd's of the theater-goers will show-up as 2 occupants in one vehicle, and 1/3rd of the theater-goers will drive alone.

Now, 2/3rd's of 400 is 266, and if 2 occupants come in one vehicle, then you only require parking for 133 vehicles.
    Also, 1/3rd of the 400 is 133, so that means there's the need for an additional 133 parking spaces.

So...the total number of spaces required would be 266 (give or take because I'm not sure how golf cart vehicle parking requirements fit into the mix.)

If you divide 266 (number of parking spaces) by 200 (the allowable square foot per parking space according to Maricopa County Zoning Ordinance), you end up with a theater that can be as large as 53,200 square foot!?!?!?!?

The total square footage of the proposed Mountainview is 58, 184, not much of a difference, which begs the question, "Wouldn't a stand-alone theater offer a better and more cost-affective venue?"

8. BPearson

Let me step outside of my comfort zone and be brief: YES!

9. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Here are some more of my thoughts...

Steel buildings are less expensive than brick and mortar and they can decorate the outside so that you don't even know it's a steel building! And rather than fixed seating, there are collapsible cushioned and armed folding type bleachers seats available that are just as comfortable as any current type theater seating. People just need to do their research, those options are out there.

Fold- away (up against a wall collapsible) type seating would allow for an open floor plan which would make the theater optional to set-up tables for an occasional dinner-theater presentation or even a dance floor?

In between theater plays there can be a paid lecture series or even a creation of a Sun City Symphony or whatever?

Seems to me that this thing wasn't thought out very well. Seems they have placed their emphasis on the recreational portion of the Center and not taking into consideration all the things a Performing Arts theater could provide. A theater that incorporates some of the options I've mentioned could keep that theater pretty darn busy an active.

Just my opinion!

10. Say What

Say What Active Member

This can also be shared for a basketball court when not being used

11. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I would rather see them put a basketball court in Mountainview where the theater was suppose to be and build a stand-alone Performing Arts Theater someplace else. Keep the sporting venues away the performing arts!?!?

12. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

When I attend a function where I have to sit for an hour or more I expect the seat to be soft and comfy with armrests. That generally precludes folding chairs of any kind. Honestly, if the RCSC can spend millions on golf there is no reason they can't spend millions on a decent theater/concert/lecture venue. Or work a deal with Harkins or someone similar -- it might be cheaper to long term lease them a corner of Bell parking lot and let them build a dual-use venue where they could show movies and we could have concerts, meetings, etc.

13. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

You really need to search the web for retractable or telescopic theater seating and you will find cushioned, armchair seats as nice as any you would find in any theater! There are many companies out there that offer such seating.

14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

15. BPearson

That train has long since left the track FYI. Nice seats btw. I have long argued the importance of a truly strategic long range plan. The idea that we would make cohesive decisions where we looked at a 20 year window would have allowed us to structure outcomes that worked in concert with one another. Instead it's simply been a catch as catch can approach where an existing board imposed their will on the community. Golf has never been much more than 12% of the population, yet has consumed the lions share of the PIF spending over the past 15 years. I never had a problem with allocating funds to maintain and improve courses, it should have been done over a longer time frame so we didn't skip dealing with other issues. But alas, it is what it is.

16. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Suffered through a very long BOD meeting and have a great idea. Why not have a standing committee that is titled Sports Committee? We have golf, bowling & lawn bowling standing committees but nothing that encompasses all of the other sports which regularly bring up issues at board meetings. Sports Committee could field all the concerns of the participants and make recommendations to the board at meetings once they have been researched a bit by the Sports Committee. This Committee would cover softball, tennis, pickle ball, water volleyball, shuffleboard, billiards, mini golf, etc. What do you think?

17. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

As far as the re-build at Mountain View, it will be devastating to those that use that facility to have it closed down for 2+ years during construction. The way it's designed, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it in phases like Fairway. No vote on the initial plans so members will get another chance to ask questions on the 27th or submit them prior to the meeting to give management & planners time to research answers.

So....my vote is build the performing arts facility at Bell and make better use of the space at Mountain View. I'm sure the existing building can be re-worked to create the basketball/volleyball courts.

18. BPearson

I like the idea aggie but the RCSC doesn't appear to want more committees.