Monsoon Season is here - -the damage our Sun City Monsoon Storm did -July 2010

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Anita Mae, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Monsoon season once again. And our storms can get pretty violent ! I was here (in Sun City) in the summer of 2010 and witnessed that horrible one in July. It really made a mess of Palmbrook Golf Course as well as many of the homes in the area. I stayed inside of course - - first to watch all that dust then to see the wind blow all that rain violently around homes & streets. The lightening show and thunder ( even though it was early evening) was apparent In 1996 - - I lived in Peoria -- that summer had an incredible horrible with much devastation monsoon storm that left block walls in home swimming pools - flooded streets, roofs gone, a bad "classic Monsoon Storm".

monsoon 7-30-10 corner lot cactus damage.jpg monsoon 7-2010 golf course tree down.jpg monsoon 7-2010 golf course.jpg monsoon 7-2010 palo verde tree uprooted.jpg monsoon 7-2010- across the street -neighbor's pine.jpg

Listen to your weather stations and their advice on what to do when these storms approach. These storms can be damaging as well as deadly.

2. LAPPY50

LAPPY50 Super Moderator

Anita Mae, you are so right. We all have to be prepared when these storms come in. A good idea might be for everyone to look into getting a storm alert radio. I know that some of the Walgreens have them and some of the other Pharmacies.

You turn it on leave it near your bed and if a storm approaches it will come on and alert you!

3. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I am hearing it thunder as I type - - Yes, Lappy50 - - one of those storm alert radios might be an awesome warning to have in our home...especially if one is alone and for certain, when those horrid thunder, lightening storms hit us at night. Already plan for where you would go incase of an emergency....similar to a tornado or hurricane victim...Maybe a closet with no windows, or under a desk - -somewhere for safety.. During Hurricane Alicia, 1983, while in Houston, I took my two "babies" into our bathroom - - and stayed in there. Make a storm plan ! Our storms do get violent !

4. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We have weather alerts that notify us on our cell phone. It also has an Amber Alert warning as well.

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I keep an emergency bag in my inner hall closet along with bottles of water, snacks, & a flashlight.

Every few months I put in new food & water.

I also keep an emergency bag in my car.

I have been doing this sort of thing since we were worried about being attacked during the Bay of Pigs.

Both bags have copies of important documents.

6. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A haboob (Arabic: هَبوب‎ "blasting/drafting") is a type of intense dust storm carried on an atmospheric gravity current. Haboobs occur regularly in arid regions throughout the world.

The arid and semiarid regions of North America—in fact, any dry region—may experience haboobs

Below are pics: IRAQ Haboobs pic 1 & 2 ( top left) Phoenix Monsoon Duststorm(top right )
    Bottom left Texas, and Gilbert, AZ - bottom right.

The term haboob is not commonly used in the arid regions of the United States where these events occur.

In North America the most common terms for these events is either dust storm or sandstorm. ( or commonly called , in Phoenix area -- A monsoon Storm).

In the U.S., they frequently occur in the deserts of Arizona, including around the cities of Yuma and Phoenix—and in New Mexico and Texas. During thunderstorm formation, winds move in a direction opposite to the storm's travel, and they move from all directions into the thunderstorm. When the storm collapses and begins to release precipitation, wind directions reverse, gusting outward from the storm and generally gusting the strongest in the direction of the storm's travel

800px-Haboob,_Taji,_Iraq,_2006.jpg Haboob- Irag  April 2005.jpg Duststorm  Ahwatukee, Phoenix, Arizona on 22 August 2003..jpg
    800px-Dust Storm _Canyon_Texas_2009.jpg Monsoon Dust Storm _Gilbert, AZ July 2011.jpg

Years ago when I lived in Nebraska - -Tornado Alley and then in Texas - - Hurricanes.. We always had a place to keep emergency items.. as you mentioned Pegmih items. Storm Cellars were very popular in the Midwest. Being a Ma-Ma of The 3 Sons AKA: Boy Scouts - - MOTTO: Be Prepared & I am always prepared !

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  7. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I think our little Sun City might be in for some stormy weather -- Those palm trees are swaying and the wind, yes, howling ! ! Maybe rain ! ! Hooray !

8. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I don't believe they call the rain a monsoon in NJ, but we are experiencing our first high humidity (almost 100%) and rain while visiting our daughter. This had better only last one day, as I get crazy after not seeing the sun for more than 24 hours! On the other side, it is beautifully green here in the lovely hilly country of Northwest NJ.

9. archer

archer New Member

Our vet has always warned us to keep pets indoors during an haboob...with the dust.

10. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Not only would I keep my pet inside _ _I would keep myself inside, as well.
    :pride:
    That blowing dust at times, can get so strong...it almost hurts your skin to be "hit" with it...AND remember Valley Fever is caused by Dust & dirt... Stay inside when we have those monsoon storms !