Let's all ask the RCSC board this 1 simple question?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Took in the candidate forum again tonight and the consensus is this is the best field of candidates we have seen in a very long time. That statement was made several times by those asking questions; i didn't ask any, but would agree, this is a well rounded group of potential board members.

So here is this very simple question for the current board of 9 members: If this is indeed an awesome group of 8, why in the hell are you out looking for a board replacement for Dave? Why are you "shopping" around for a former board member rather than offering that position to the candidate that finishes in 4th place?

I know we have board members who read this site, so which one of you wants to answer this one? I can give you the answer, but i want to see who can be intellectually honest about the reason. I found it refreshing to hear answers from this years field that include the word "ethics." Especially given the stories floating about, it will be fascinating to see if anyone can be ethically straight forward in reply.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

....and if it is indeed the new Board that gets to choose the replacement, don't the new members get to put forward names?

3. BPearson

Think about it this way aggie: 3 new board members (with maybe Rich Hoffer being one of them), it just won't matter, because those already there will have decided. Especially if in fact the board has already found the "chosen one." No names will be put forward, and if that is the case, they will have passed over the 4th place finisher who will be left standing there with hat in hand. It just shouldn't happen, these 8 candidates have all done a great job at the two forums and deserve better than being passed over.

Hope i'm wrong, we shall see.

4. Minniesoda

Minniesoda New Member

It would be great if the fourth place finisher is the one selected for the open Board seat in January. It would show that the Board is interested in the democratic process. Of course the appointed one would have a limited term, right?

5. BPearson

Right, they would fill the remainder, 1 year, left on Dave W's term.

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Is there a meeting before the vote so someone (or many) could ask the board? If I were there (less than two months now to retirement day) I would do it. Do rules allow the board to choose anyone they want?

7. BPearson

They get to fill the position with whoever they want. It appears as if no board member will step up and fill in the blanks, which leaves me the task of "speculating" based off my own experiences on this board and many others. It is all about controlling the majority of the votes. There's currently one board member who is a bit of a maverick (meant as a compliment). David had the capacity to be a second but has now stepped aside. Dependent on who is voted in to office, there is the potential for a shift in power/control. If they only take the top three and fill Dave's spot with a former board member (known quantity), they have no risk of losing the majority.

8. Cynthia

Sad to know there is an us vs them majority on the board. I know I should have expected it, but I didn't. Even after all the posts all these years I still thought things were decided on more of a case by case basis. But now I understand they will fill the seat with someone who goes along with what the majority wants.

9. BPearson

Nope, not a conspiracy theory buff/nut, just know what i see. I have long and loudly lamented the incredible amount of money being poured into the golf courses over the past ten years. The simple truth is the percentages of golfers in the community hovers between 15% to 18%. if you do a quick down and dirty, every year since 2010 the board president has been a golfer (i can list them if you want), not sure about the years before that, they were guys, not sure if they were golfers. It doesn't matter at this point, we've dumped so much money into golf, there won't be much left to do once they get done at the south course and they remodel Lakes East and West patio and cart barns.

As i looked over the lists of board members during that same period of time, there were always way more than 17% of them golfers, more like half and they were always always the boards' officers. Accidental? Nope, not hardly. We can all pretend it's pure as the driven snow, but how money has been spent tells us quite a different story. Especially when you consider the old long range planning committee was told they had no input about PIF expenditures, that is before the golfers on the board voted to disband it.

Goodness, don't you just love history and the story how we got to where we are today? By the way, maybe it's time we thought about electing a female to the position of president eh?

10. BPearson

I suspect over the years there has been female presidents of the RCSC, just not since we have bought here (1999). My bigger point was the golfing community makes up a minuscule percentage of the population, while the RCSC board makeup over the years has been loaded with golfers. And when it comes to filling the officers slots, they have been top end loaded, clearly impacting the decision making process on how much of our PIF expenditures have been directed at golf over the past 10 years.

11. Cynthia

Several of you made a decent attempt to persuade the board to choose the 4th candidate as the replacement. Lets hope it worked.