How medical supply companies are ripping off Medicare and seniors

Discussion in 'Medical and Health' started by archer, Jul 31, 2013.

1. archer

archer New Member

This just amazed me........My husband needs a 4 wheel walker for 3 months while he recovers from back surgery. The rehab center ordered one for him and I received a call this afternoon from the supplier. Apparently 4 wheel walkers, with the large wheels, and sturdy enough for a 6' 180lb man have more features than medicare will cover.....so after medicare paid their 80% of their cost, and supplement paid 20% there was a balance due for the extra accessories that are of course, not removable. They wanted $85 dollars. So I get the make and model number of the walker.....go to Amazon.com, and I can buy that same walker for $64....out the door, free delivery, no tax. I find this outrageous. Maybe Medicare should start buying on Amazon.

2. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I do believe that (unfortunately) wherever you go -- and whatever you do -- ANYWHERE ! ! Our society and Our Times is just about:
    ALL about Making Money ! !
    Sad :culpability: but I feel it is true - - even if it is so outrageous ! -- It is true !

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Have you gone to the FREE place in Sun City that provides medical devices?
    I think it is called Sunshine services.
    I will google them and try to give you more info.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Here is Link to
    Sunshine Services In Sun City.
    Please let me know if this helps.

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I donated my mom's very good walker and wheel chair so the free place is awesome.

What I saw at my mom's nursing home while she stayed for rehab was a bit shocking to say the least. Some of the gals at her dining table had perfectly good scooters but would order brand new ones when the ones they had were fine. I asked one gal what was wrong with hers and she said "nothing", I just want one of the new ones. Medicare paid the price and I can just imagine the price tag. We wonder why Medicare is going bust. Americans used to be frugal and used things till you could not use them anymore.
    My dad was having speech therapists and sleep therapists come twice a week when he was dying. It is as Anita said...all about money.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Archer,
    Did you ever check out Sunshine services for the item you want?

7. archer

archer New Member

I'm in Colorado for the summer peg.....no sunshine services....we use them all the time when grandkids visit and we need cribs, strollers, high chairs.....if we were in Sun City I would certainly have checked with them first, I know they carry all kinds of medical equipment, wheel chairs, walkers whatever you need. They are one charity/organization in Sun City we donate to on a regular basis. They are, simply, awesome!

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Sunshine Service has been around - - almost Forever - -
    well - at least since the very early 80's and/or late 70's... A wonderful group that provides so many items for both medical and/or ITEMS when your family is visiting residents in Sun City. :frog:

Back in the 70's - 80's, when I would visit my parents (who retired in sun city) my parents got small beds (roll-aways) Cribs, strollers, high chair, many items ! ! Sunshine club is an organized Sun City Group/Service - - I do not believe it is connected to medicare and or any other Medical Supply Type company that will RIP - YOU - OFF ! ! It is a wonderful Sun City program that is available for Sun City Residents... and caters to only Sun City Residents with a proof of Residency to Sun City. They will also furnish - - walkers, canes, porta-potty, crutches, wheel-chairs....many different items.
    :welcoming:
    Sun City is very fortunate to have this service AKA: The Sunshine Service !

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013