ELECTION 2020

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by GCotten, Jun 5, 2020.

1. GCotten

GCotten Member

It's time to bite the bullet and to start some info flowing. I would like to start this off with the hopes that everything remains civil and that all remarks are for education purposes WITH OUT negative remarks or name calling and being respectful and using the correct names of all elected officials. I hope this is not a too tall of an order to hope for. The election is not far off and there obviously are a lot of major distractions occurring.

I as an independent voter seriously needs some help in understanding some things so I hopefully have a clear view of our choices this fall. I am aware of the pros and cons of Trump. I have a concern regarding Biden and that is where I need help. My view at the moment is that Biden has a dementia problem. My observation is that it is serious. What is the plan by the Democrats to solve that problem? I don't think I am the only one with this concern.

2. SCR

SCR Active Member

Based on my limited sightings of Biden on the campaign trail it would be a little hard to make a call of dementia.
    I watch an hour of news in the AM and an hour of news in the PM, after that I rarely watch any of the 4 major channels.
    Joe has been holding up in his basement for at least 2 months. Trump has been on the campaign trail since at least February while Joey has been neither
    seen or heard till recently. Mark Kelly has more campaign ads on TV than Biden. I will say that of the limited sightings I've seen of Joe, he doesn't look good.

The democrats unfortunately do not have a campaign plan and I don't think they have any plan regarding Joe's health be it good or bad.

Is there anyone regardless of party affiliation that you think can beat the Trumpster? Based on history alone, Trump will be re-elected. If I am not mistaken, there have only been 3 1 term Presidents.

The above are my initial thoughts which may change if and when Biden gets out on the campaign trail.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Let's see. Would I rather have a sociopath* surrounded with like people or a sincere but possibly mildly slowed down senior citizen that must think before they speak or act and surrounds himself with intelligent compassionate people who can again gain respect for the U.S.? I think many of us suffer from bunkeritis and I know my social skills are lacking right now.

It is just as important this fall to vote out our state representatives that march in lock step with the exalted leader without question.

*Sociopath:
    A mental health disorder characterized by disregard for other people.
    Those with antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) may begin to show symptoms in childhood, but the condition can't be diagnosed until adolescence or adulthood.
    Those with antisocial personality disorder tend to lie, break laws, act impulsively, and lack regard for their own safety or the safety of others.

4. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I suspect that I am going to come from somewhere way out in left-field but I am sort of starting with the premise that I don’t want to vote for either of the two major candidates. The one political stance of Trump’s that I felt had merit was the need to clean out the Swamp. He quickly demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that he and his appointees had an amazing aptitude for adapting to the swamp and quickly became indistinguishable from the worst that Washington has ever had to offer. Binden on the other hand is just a very long term Swamp resident and I have no use for him. So I found a list of roughly 1,000 people who had registered to run for the presidency, threw out the 500 or so Republicans and Democrats and am just beginning to sift through the remaining 500. (to be cont.)

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I kick myself for responding to this thread as I tried so hard to remain mute. I will refrain from further posts and exit this in expressing my two thoughts:

1.) I wish Biden didn't commit to only choosing a female Vice Presidential candidate. It's offensive even if I am a female. The best candidate available should be chosen based on their qualifications and nothing else.

2.) As proven in the 2016 election, a vote for any candidate other than the Democratic candidate is a vote for Trump.

6. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

It's hard to tell (wrt dementia) for both Biden and Trump, at least for me.

Biden has always made misstatements which, I always assumed, were more a function of him trying to manage his problem with stuttering (which he's had all his life). But you can't reach his age and not wonder about dementia, and he does speak more slowly than he used to. As far I know, Biden is still a consensus builder -- he listens and works with people to draw his conclusions. To me that's a good thing. And he advocates for the people he represents -- we the people -- all the people. That, after the past 3+ years would be refreshing.

Trump is from a very different mold. Regarding dementia, Trump is my age, so I suspect he's experiencing the same issues I (and many of us, I'd guess) have remembering names, words, etc. on occasion. He stands alone -- his biographers and ex-employees have said Trump doesn't listen to anyone long enough to make informed decisions that are good for anyone other than himself in the moment. There was an article an USA Today about a year ago that gave pause for thought -- read it here. Recently when he literally suggested injecting disinfectant to treat CV-19 I really began worrying about his cognitive ability. I know what he was trying to express, but the whole thought came out horribly wrong, not just words like when he said covfefe and oranges.

To me Trump has always been a horrible individual on a personal level -- I was raised in the East and his ethics, indiscretions, bullying, and mob connections always disturbed me. He's a tall man with a major Napoleon complex. He has alienated our allies worldwide -- that will bite America in the arse in the future. So I could never vote for him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  7. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Please don't go, because, among things, I'd love to chat about your point 2.

8. Say What

Say What Active Member

Any person white black male female Brown yellow orange and green that would vote for Trump again it's a no good scumbag racist woman-hating pig that only cares for himself and nobody else including his children it's all about him it's all about keeping his ass out of prison at any cost at 4 you teabaggers that are on this site after all these years you are the biggest scum this country has ever had and may each and everyone of you rot in hell and that is just way too good for you folks

9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

There does not seem to be any "Read it here" here.

10. SCR

SCR Active Member

carptrash - Please enlighten me as to who or what you believe is the SWAMP.

In my view, the SWAMP is Congress - both the house and senate. We have life long members of both the house and senate who only vote for their party's sitting president.
    Everyone of them is afraid to go against their party for fear of being voted out of office as most of them should be. Ask yourself "what have they done for you?".

I suspect that most will vote party line and especially for Republicans and Trump because they received a 1200 dollar check. I for one did not care if I received a check (with Trumps name on it) and a follow up letter (campaign letter). I don't need that 1200 dollars, but I believe that most people will see that check as Trumps Care for the people. Unfortunately, we will all pay for those checks.

The best we can do for the 2020 election is vote against Trump whoever the candidates are and vote ALL incumbents in Congress out of office.

We have a president that issues Executive orders that benefit only one person - HIM.

If you want change without money bribes, vote against Trump.

As for Bidens running mate - I think Val Demings is probably his best choice.

11. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I think, if you will re-read POST #1 ,the sort of language that we had hoped could be avoided because it will just bring the discussion to a screeching halt. If it has not already done so. So be a grown-up.

12. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

It probably will not enlighten you much but it might shed a little light into the carp side of the world. To me the SWAMP is the lobbyists and the PACs and the Dark Money folks and the big multinational corporations and the politicians that they buy with their big bucks. It is the folks who sell their souls, and our country, for money or power, which they use to turn into money, and the people who buy and collect those souls. That is the Washington DC version, there are more local versions too.

13. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I grew up Catholic; went to grade school with nuns and a Catholic military high school with Christian Brothers. Between my schooling and parents who cared about how their kids were raised, the 5 of us had a value system we were all taught. Treat people fairly, be empathetic, don't lie, don't cheat...you know the basic stuff all of us get if we are going to become responsible, caring human beings. Seems pretty basic, pretty simple to me.

I read your post last night Gary. Before i crawled under the covers i Googled Biden and dementia. Interesting as it appears it has become the newest trump campaign strategy. When the Hunter Biden attacks didn't gain much traction, he shifted as did all of his supporters. Start questioning whether Joe was slipping. Hell, one of his kid's even claimed Joe was a pedophile. It's just the game trump plays. He did it with Hilary, he'll do it with Biden. Welcome to 2020 politics and the trump brand.

Joe isn't what he used to be; who is. That said, he has more character in his thumb than trump has cursing through his entire body; trump has none. BTW, Carp, the article is there posted by IC. When you open it up there's a photo of trump hugging the flag at CPAC and it might be one of the more disturbing photo's of him i have seen. Showing the flag that kind of disrespect, especially by the man who claims to love it is beyond belief. Taking a knee is child's play compared to wrapping yourself in it.

Mattis said it all the other day. We've never had a president who's sole purpose was to represent the 35% who would support him even if he shot someone on 5th Ave in New York (his words not mine). Through 44 previous presidents we've elected a variety of good, bad and the ugly. No one has ever been as divisive as trump. No One. No one has ever been as lacking in morals, empathy, character, intelligence, so arrogant and so narcissistic. His redeeming qualities are he is a counter puncher and oh yea, judges.

It may appear i have a bias, and i do. So rather than take the word of a life-long democrat, here is an article by Sarah Longwell. She is the publisher for the website The Bulwark and is a life-long conservative. She doesn't write often, but this article is strikingly brilliant. It captures every emotion i feel regarding the president and it is simplistic and on point. What Did They Think Would Happen? Actually, Character Does Count.

PS. I would not be at all surprised if Biden wasn't the candidate running against trump when all is said and done.

carptrash likes this.
  14. Adam560

Adam560 Member

So much for civil discourse and no name calling. ( as well as any hope for punctuation ! )

BPearson likes this.
  15. Say What

Say What Active Member

Gary, wtf independent lol. About as much as Rand Paul and the clown in Texas

16. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Dang Adam560, i didn't think i was that course in my comments. My apologies.

17. Adam560

Adam560 Member

That wasn't about you Bill. Your punctuation is always flawless.

BPearson likes this.
  18. Enquirer

Enquirer Member

It is interesting that you all think there will be an election in November.

For those who assert that Republicans cannot be elected by mail-in ballot (wonder who that would be) please feel free to ask Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler how it worked out for her.

19. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

If this is what mail-in-ballots gets us, I'm not so sure about them.
    "Herrera Beutler opposes same-sex marriage and she voted for Congressman Paul Ryan's budget, which would have lowered taxes for the highest earners from 35% to 25% and also changed Medicare to be a voucher-system."

20. carptrash

carptrash Active Member