Dust masks

Discussion in 'Medical and Health' started by Anita Mae, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Dust Masks are a small paper-like material worn around your mouth and nose area to protect your breathing from dust.

A dust mask is a flexible pad held over the nose and mouth by elastic or rubber straps to protect against dusts encountered during construction or cleaning activities, such as dusts from drywall, concrete, wood, fiberglass, silica (from ceramic or glass production), or sweeping or doing yard work.

I have seen several people wear these while working outdoors and even when walking around the neighborhoods. Years ago, a friend of mine wore one whenever she went outside from our place of work - - as so many olive trees were growing in the courtyards. Severe allergic reactions would occur if she did not wear her mask.
    :calm:

I have noticed yard-workers and landscapers cover their nose and mouth with scarfs....that would be similar protection, I guess.

2. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We do have a risk of Valley Fever here and I suppose if I were working in the yard stirring up lots of dust it would be wise to wear one. We wear them when mixing our chemicals for glazes to be on the safe side. Home Depot has them in the paint section.