Dogs

Discussion in 'Pets' started by pegmih, May 24, 2013.

1. DDArm

DDArm Member

Warning for the new people moving to the area. Please watch your pets while outside. I have a fully fenced yard and we almost lost our 8 lb poodle to one in our own yard. My Bradley was lucky, we think it was a very young coyote and honing his skills. Please be careful.

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I was ready to put a offer on a house on a golf course. I liked it a lot but the back was quite exposed. I hadn't yet heard about the coyotes and the broker who helped me knew I had dogs. He said nothing about coyotes and the potential danger to my dogs. Not to say you cannot live on a golf course and be careful, but I think that view of house made it more difficult. I even realized that living alone it was too open to the back door for me. And I also learned that a tall fenced yard won't protect my dogs either. I'm fortunate that I asked the question, read the DDarm's post about Bradley's recent attack, and received some great feedback. I would love to see those coyotes, I love all animals. And I really liked that house, but there will be another one right for me. You gave me the info I needed. I found this forum and you current posting residents in the nick of time. Thank-you.

3. Cynthia

I love houses. I'm looking forward to having a mid century model as my last house hurrah. Plus my dogs would bark in a condo and neighbors would not like it. Other considerations too. Someday I may switch to a condo, but for now I want a house.

4. gilmark

gilmark New Member

Almost everyone walking by my house has a dog. I sometimes dog sit, but because we travel by air and are gone a lot, I don't want a dog right now. Should I decide to get one in the future, what is the best mid-size non-shedding dog?

5. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Agreed that it's best to get a shelter dog with a few yrs under his/her belt. Terrier mixes have been great for me. I also prefer getting a dog-sitter than boarding when possible as so much less stressful for the creature and no need for kennel cough vaccine, worry about acquiring fleas, upsetting their usual schedule, etc. An under twenty-pounder can travel with you on most airlines, but beyond that, most want it to travel as luggage (horror!) and won't transport sometimes because of extreme weather, so if you want a travel bud, you gotta go small.

6. Cynthia

20 yes, but only if the dog in 12 inches tall or shorter. I have small dogs but neither of them could stand up under the 12 inches of seat space. They must be able to stand up under the seat to qualify. Has to almost be a toy bread. Even my doxi/chi is too tall for that.

7. Cynthia

I empathize emily. I had originally thought of moving to Fl and didn't know how I would get my dogs there, seems so risky to fly them in cargo. I had planned to drive it too. I can't understand why the airlines don't get it together and create some pet space in the back of the cabin or something. People would pay double for dog space. They could create something.

8. suncityjack

9. suncityjack

10. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

For certain---use common sense with our hot hot summer months ---You would not want to sit any length of time in a hot-closed up area -- why would your dog...Do not leave dogs or children in locked cars for any length of time....Cars get hot very fast !

11. suncityjack

Finished reading SeinLanguage by Jerry Seinfeld and couldn't resist sharing this snippet with you:

"Whenever you ask for the doggie bag at a restaurant, there's a certain sense of failure there, isn't there? People always whisper it to the waiter, 'Uh, excuse me. Can I get the doggie bag? I, Uh, I--I couldn't make it.' It's embarrassing, because the doggie bag means either you're out at a restaurant when you're not hungry, or you've chosen the stupidest possible way there is to get dog food."

12. suncityjack

Ooh, just remembered the Seinfeld book had another part especially good for us Sun City dog guardians since it involves those ever present little plastic bags:
    "This, to me, is the lowest activity in human life. Following a dog, with a little scooper. Waiting for him to go so you can walk down the street with it in your bag. If aliens are watching this through telescopes, they're going to think the dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
    I say, if this is where we're at after 50,000 years of civilization, let's just give up. I'm serious, let's pack it in. It's not worth it. Let's just say the human race as an idea didn't quite work. It seemed good at first, we worked on it for a long time, but it just didn't pan out. We went to the moon but somehow wound up carrying little bags of dog doody around with us. We just got mixed up somewhere. Let's just give it over to the insects or whoever else is next in line."
    Can't you just hear his voice? Honestly, this book is a hoot.

13. Cynthia

I see a doggie-bag as success. I didn't gorge myself with extra large portions and I have some for later when I'm hungry again. Not as funny, however, as Seinfeld's thoughts. That show was the best.

14. suncityjack

We must be very careful about clarifying which plastic doggie bags to which we are referring--I had the other one in mind until I read more!:stupid:

15. archer

archer New Member

Either kind of doggie bag is necessary for a sanitary society...one to keep people from stepping in an awful mess.....the other to keep people from messing up their clothes trying to stuff the rest of their meal into purse or pocket.

16. suncityjack

:applouse: You get a smiley applause for that one archer!
    I have a trisectional tuperware-type container that's even microwavable, so how easy is that? I bring it to pot-lucks and such so I don't have to use one of the disposables, esp. those clamshell ones that never stay shut and have a tendency to ooze stuff out --preferred the old Chinese restaurant ones of waxed cardboard and wire handles. Plus, when I'm full, just snap the lid on and bring it home to dogs (or so I say--LOL--actually, we usually share).

17. suncityjack

Great dog news from our neighbor city of Glendale. This should be the norm, but so glad that GLENDALE was ranked “TOP DOG IN SOUTHWEST FOR CANINE-FRIENDLY COMMUNITIES." Here's the news release: Dog Fancy Magazine named the city of Glendale regional runner-up in the
    Southwest in its 2013 DogTown USA ranking. With a dog population of 43,000, the city prides itself on
    offering dog-friendly businesses, attractions and amenities.
    The article highlights Glendale’s four-legged community features such as two special dog parks that
    offer agility equipment; an annual Dog Days of Summer event, sponsored by the Glendale Convention &
    Visitors Bureau and downtown merchants; dining experiences for pet owners at various restaurants with
    patio seating and city dogs who work for various programs in the community. For example, the Glendale
    Library has a reading dog program, called Read with Jessie, the loveable Golden Retriever, at Foothills
    Library in which children can practice reading to a dog, helping them become more comfortable reading.
    The next sessions are Sept. 11 and Sept. 25 for children 5 years and older. To reserve a spot, call
    The Glendale Fire Department has two working dogs; Gizzi accompanies Fire’s public education
    manager to schools to teach children fire safety measures, and Topaz serves as a crisis response dog, helping
    those impacted by traumatic situations. In addition, Glendale Fire carries special FIDO pet rescue bags,
    supported by community donations. The FIDO bag, created by a Glendale firefighter, are medical bags
    containing customized oxygen masks and other medical supplies specifically made to care for animals in
    emergency situations. The bags were placed on Glendale fire trucks in 2007 after the Sun Valley Animal
    Shelter made a generous donation of $4,000 to fund the FIDO bag program. Glendale firefighters, having
    saved numerous animals using the FIDO bag equipment, believe the bags are a necessity since 70% of
    households have pets. Projects and activities for local dogs are not the only reason that Glendale was selected by the
    magazine, as part of the process included evaluating whether Glendale serves as an optimal pet destination.
    Approximately 58 percent of pet owners now travel with their pets, and dogs lead the pack as the
    most popular pet travel companion, according to Petsweekly.com.
    “This information reflects an emerging travel trend, showing the importance of outreaching to
    visitors who travel with their favorite canine companion. For example, 78 percent of pet owners choose a
    hotel due to its pet-friendly policies and the Glendale CVB offers a list of pet-friendly hotels in the area,”
    said Lorraine Pino, Glendale CVB manager.
    The Glendale ranking is listed in the upcoming September issue of Dog Fancy Magazine. For more
    information, call 623.930.4500 or visit www.visitglendale.com.

18. suncityjack

19. suncityjack

Peoria Has Gone to the Dogs this Spring Training Season!

Fans are encouraged to bring their dogs to the March 2 spring training game at Peoria Sports Complex. Dogs and owners can sit in the PAW-tio section and watch a dog that is up for adoption throw out the first pitch (first fetch).

Admission is $7 per person, $4 per dog with 100 percent of the dog admission benefiting the Arizona Humane Society. For more information, visit www.springtrainingpeoria.com.