Covid 19

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by SCR, Mar 25, 2020.

1. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

This is the sort of stuff we do not need here. To me it sounds like a Right wing troll trying to sound like a Leftist. And no, I am NOT asking for your real name.

2. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Bill, During my 17 flying years in the Air Force I saw the death of at least one of my squadron mates every year. I kept flying unafraid. Then I lost several more due to lymphoma. Recently I have buried my parents, a sister, and a brother from old age, advanced pneumonia, and colon cancer.

Death is a fact of life and each one diminishes us all. But we as a nation have now destroyed 500 plus jobs for each Wuhan virus death and have subjected american families to potential poverty and ruin.

I have been fired twice, laid off three times, but came back better each time as our nation and its people will. But we need to bring this timidity to a close and act as Americans. Benjamin Franklin once said If one is willing to trade essential liberty for temporary safety, one deserves neither. This was during our Revolutionary War that cost the lives of 174,000 patriots.

George Washington said Americans would rather die on their feet than live on their knees. I couldn’t agree more. And that is how I live my life.

Tom McClain

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Well Georgia and seven other states that had not closed are almost wide-open now. What they are doing to minimize the risk is absolutely amazing. 400 waffle houses in Georgia opened up and they were a masks they give masks to their customers they wear gloves they clean each booth and their iPads and everything else every time a customer comes and leaves. they are going the extra mile to protect themselves in the public. Americans are not stupid especially the ones in the suburbs in a rule areas. We’re going to come back as rugged Americans and make things even better.

4. SCR

SCR Active Member

Tom McClain please cite your source for your above claim regarding waffle houses. First off, Georgia only has 381 Waffle Houses so sounds like there is a bit of FAKE news in your comment.

Can you also cite your source for your quote that the Supreme Dictator (Trump) gets tested for coronavirus every day? Another piece if FAKE comments.

Can you cite your source for your comment that the Healight is in use. I can find no facts to support this claim. Yes, there are STUDIES on this device for possible use in treating viruses, but it has not been approved by the FDA as of yet. Another piece of FAKE comments.

I will however, be kind and and say your FAKE comments are nothing more than stretched information.

5. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Well fake news SCR, everything I have written I have found irrefutable and factual sources. If you don’t like them well that’s your problem. Because the truth is the truth. Now, I’ll be glad to help you with your with your research if you tell me who you exactly are. But until then, you deserve no answer as Jesus gave no answers to the Pharisees and Sadducees When they refused to answer his question about The ministry of John the Baptist.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Here's the truth Tom: The death toll would have been 2, 3 or 4 times greater had we not shut the country down. The tragedy is we didn't do it sooner. We lost a good part of January, all of February and some of March. Trump had reports from the IC and at least two of his cabinet members calling this out. He elected to downplay it. We could have stopped the Florida spring break, Mardi Gras in New Orleans and helped the idiot mayor in New York get ahead of the curve if only. The reality is because people were willing to shelter in place the numbers are nowhere near what they would have been. Kudos to people for taking it seriously. Here's the link to the article on The Ten Weeks That Lost The War.

On the other side of the coin, i would be happy to post any number of video's of trump supporters rallying in the streets in front of state capitals waving their AK 47's, their AR15's and standing on top of one another with no "social distancing" and no masks. There-in is the danger moving forward. Human nature is such people will be careful at first and gradually slip back into complete disregard for protective measures. If you think that doesn't matter, look at those rural states when incidents were low. At least until they started checking nursing homes and meat packing plants. Opening is fine if we meet the guidelines and adhere to the rules; if not we'll be right back into the shitstorm.

I thought the one good thing trump did was release his three step plan on reopening. Obviously he listened to the experts as he promoted the phase-in on that Thursday. Of course the next morning he started Friday off with his moronic tweets to "liberate" states with democratic governors. Pathetic. Finally, compare Andrew Cuomo's press conferences to trumps...there is none. Cuomo is concise, on point and consistent. Trump is all over the map with mixed messages and blathering how unfair life is to him. His whining is incomprehensible to me.

7. Say What

Say What Active Member

Sorry carp first of all I'm not a right-wing impersonator whatever you called me and I've lived in Sun City for many years. Every one of these politicians should be working at food banks on both sides of the aisle instead of sitting on their ass and doing nothing we are hungry people in this country and we're going to have a food shortage you just watch and see the grocery stores are going to be totally empty if things start spiking again plants are already shutting down nationwide there are not enough tests in this country or the facilities to administer them we stop truckers on interstates at weigh stations and weigh them all why can't we stop all cars and test everybody Nationwide stop people at the border and ask for IDs at papers and why can't we test people set up checkpoints throughout the cities for the people think it's a problem with their rights they don't leave their house simple and sweet

carptrash likes this.
  8. Say What

Say What Active Member

Also had Trump listen to The experts and follow through on his three step plan nothing would be reopening till like the 15th of June and hopefully the decrease would have been very substantial all it takes is one person to close down an entire restaurant and because nobody will report them being ill or at the same problem is what the meat packing plants are having Nationwide trying to hide it what starts the ball rolling with everybody getting sick again and spreading at every place we should stop every flight from overseas coming into the United States for the time being no matter where they're from!

9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

We were encouraged to do some research on Lt. Col. McClain's claims and here is what I've found. Please, since Lt. Col. McClain refuses to divulge the source of his misinformation, everyone, do your own research and report back. Here is what I found. George Washington NEVER said or wrote anything like what Lt. Col. McClain suggests, the first time that sentiment appears is by a French Revolutionary, then it appears again, this time by Emiliano Zapata, who at least was a general, but in the Mexican revolutionary army, not the Continental Army, it is then picked up by Dolores Ibarruri, aka La Passionaria, a communist leader in the Spanish Civil War, gets used by FDR (a borderline communist, right Lt. Col. McClain) in WWII and finally by Che Guevara, another communist. So Lt. Col. McClain is living his life by a Mexican slogan and a communist manifesto. Interesting.
    Which brings us to the next quote, that by Franklin during the Revolutionary War. But, gee, Franklin said it in 1755, two decades before the Revolution was started. SO why are we supposed to believe anything Lt. Col. McClain says? Especially when he is telling us how Americans are supposed to act?

10. BPearson

Interesting as i searched i found this quote on several of those sites of dubious character: ""The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is that he will die on his feet rather before he will live on his knees." I have no idea if GW actually said it but when you add the"American Christian" it pops up. One of the sites was where you can create your own meme. The others were sites invoking God and the gun-toting militia types. The problem with the net is any dumb ass can attribute almost anything to someone and it gets passed around as gospel.

11. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Well yes and I think that is what is going on here.

12. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Well carptrash is another Fake News CNN. I stand by my Washington and Franklin quotes. Again those who post here in anonymity deserve no credence to their posts since they have no skin on the game. I am up front as to I am and unafraid to stand by my beliefs.

Now more states have opened up and the tidal wave of rugged American freedom and liberty is unstoppable. More to come in the week. Even Governor Cuomo is talking May 15. Ducey had better get with or he will become irrelevant.

As far as model projections of death numbers, not one of the models has been close and too susceptible to input variables. I know this because I was once an Operations Research Engineer working with huge Monte Carlo and Deterministic simulations and they never could come close to yielding results that mirrored reality. They ignore human interaction and ingenuity. Same here with the reaction to the Wuhan Chinese virus. The IHME model has never come close to reality because people don't wait for disaster. They figure out a work around and move on. We observe what is happening, orient ourselves to the phenomenon, decide what is a suitable course of action, then act to fix the problem, and start over with process otherwise known as the OODA loop. That is reality.look it up. John Boyd. Trump read him.

That is why we as Americans will beat this virus.

If those of the hunker down and hide bunch don't like this, then hide in your hidey hole and be miserable. Not Me!

13. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I am somewhere else preparing a "What it is like to argue with the alt-right" paper, but this is a great example and will be included. I am accused of being "Fake News CNN" (which I never watch), but no proof is offered other than I don't post under my real name. Which proves what? He then goes on to stand by his men, but again, offering no evidence as to why. I have presented information as to why Tom is off base, which he chooses to ignore. Ideas stand on their own. Had Tom chosen early in the discussion to say, "Okay, I got it wrong, but it is still a good saying" then fine. But no, he chose to hang on to a lifeline, the other end of which is tied to the Titanic.

14. BPearson

Tom: Your quote is bullshit. I can post the links to your "beyond reproach sites", but they would expose you as a phony as well as them. I have used my real name and yet you continue to ignore and preach about all the happy crappy patriot stuff that is nonsense. What about those idiots in streets with their high capacity rifles pretending they can kill the virus with them. Ignoring common sense and pretending they are invincible. Did i mention? Idiots.

There is good news though; just over a 1000 people died yesterday. Want the bad news? Already today we are over 800 more dead. No big deal right...the cost of freedom. As far as no one being right regarding the model projections of death; trump released the 150k to 200k when he finally bought in. There was no data supporting it, he just needed high side numbers so he could act like he was the savior. Fauci arrived at something around 100k shortly thereafter and reduced it to 60,000 once the shelter in place had been instituted by the masses.

The reality is by the end of the week we will exceed the 60k. It will continue to climb but at a much slower pace. That is unless the idiots in the street start ignoring the need for social distancing. There's perhaps nothing more insulting than pretending these goofballs are freedom fighters. You can minimize death all you want, but for each and every COVID19 death, there are countless family members who have lost a loved one. Too bad for them eh?

I don't fear death, we all will get there soon enough. I fear stupid people accelerating the process because they feel it is their right to infect others as if that is their god-given right...it's not.

carptrash likes this.
  15. BPearson

Just for shits and giggles Tom, here's the links that pop up for your quotes:
    The Granite Grok.
    Soloman Yue on Twitter.
    American Patriot 111% on Facebook.
    And i especially love this one: MakeMemes.
    Better yet is this one that claims the quote was from Thomas Jefferson: Godlikeproductions.com

Frankly Tom, i don't blame you for not wanting to post the links. It's just freaking embarrassing. BTW, there are all kinds of web sites that you can legitimately find the source of quotes. Unfortunately none of them contain your quote.

carptrash likes this.
  16. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Bill,

Talking with you and the rest is like attempting to teach a pig how to sing. It usually is a waste of time and only annoys the pig.

So, have fun in your hidey hole.

17. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Don't worry, Lt Col., you are not annoying this pig. You are making him laugh.
    And finally you get to use some of your air force training, when you get shot down, bail out.

18. SCR

SCR Active Member

Tom McClain - since you are incapable of citing your source for your mis-information on the Healight I did a little on my own (as you suggested).

I went directly to Cedars-Sinai and directly asked them on the status and use of the Healight.

Here is the link that I was referred to by Cedars-Sinai
    https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/cedars-sinai-statement-on-uv-a--technology/

Please read it very carefully and make sure you can comprhend it and you will note that it says
    "The technology has not been tested or used on patients. Cedars-Sinai has filed for patents related to the technology"

Now if you have a source better than the above that contradicts what Cedars-Sinai says (the developer) please be brave enough to post it here without requiring a forum members name. If you can't do that, say nothing.

carptrash likes this.
  19. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Tom, who is the pig, who is the teacher? How is one to know?

You are a 17+ year active duty man who appears adamantly against government telling him what he can/cannot do. Your entire military tenure revolved around a mostly autocratic system that told you what, when, and how to do most things and freedom of speech was somewhat regulated. They ordered you to get inoculations, to avoid certain bars and establishments when off duty, etc, etc. So it's mysterious that you have so little respect for rules, regulations, and laws. Do you have the same repulsion to requiring drivers licenses, pilots licenses, insurances, vaccinations, etc? Did you feel the same anger when the school sent your kid home with the measles to protect other kids from getting them? Social distancing is not a new technique to reduce the spread of disease.

You seem to expect your opinions to be respected, in part, because of your military career. ( By contrast, I was an Exec. VP of a major engineering company, but I have no expectation that should validate anything). I respect that you believe all the "facts" you present to support your position, much as the rest of us believe the assertions we make. Facts have a habit of not always being durable (although some people still insist the earth is flat, I guess). More importantly, darn few facts being presented about the CV-19 are truly facts, rather they are guesses, opinions based on anecdotal evidence, restatements of media and political hype, etc. This virus has an observable history of only 7-months, give or take, which is damn short to produce high certainty facts that will stand the test of time and scrutiny, regardless of whether you, I, or anyone else states them here. Lastly, there's lots of reasons why people use aliases and pen names... it's unclear why you make such a point of it unless you're using the issue to discredit a person's opinion, which is just plain BS in my opinion.

carptrash likes this.
  20. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

There were several news articles that struck a chord in me today. One was from Time Magazine describing Hokkaido Japan's failed experience of reopening the island when pushed for by businesses to do so... within 3 weeks they had an 80% increase of CV-19, greater than they originally had. Clearly they reopened too early and mismanaged the reopening by not restricting travel from still highly infected neighbors.

The other article was from the NYT describing Sweden's CV-19 success without mandating a lockdown at all. Basically Sweden "suggested" people avoid gatherings and the people complied without a mandatory order. It's their culture. But there was also the idea that for some reason they didn't experience as devastating an infection as other countries. I thought about Sweden's success a bit. We know they have better overall access to healthcare, they aggressively tested and quarantined those infected, traced, etc. But there seemed to be more to it. My suspicion is another factor is their population density -- the sparser the population the less easily disease spreads -- no Einstein required to conclude that.

So, I looked up some stats -- Sweden's population density is 64 people/sq mile. Hokkaido's is 67, the US is 94, New Your City overall is over 26,403 (Manhattan Borough is 66,940!). That certainly explains what most affected the spread in the NYC metro area.

Maricopa County is about 415 -- much denser than Sweden, etc. It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next month as the world starts "re-opening" widely varying densities of population. Let's hope Hokkaido's experience doesn't become the norm.