Can Sun City Become the Utopia It Once Was?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jan 9, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Yikes, scary question and the first thought that came to mind was another question...was it ever really a Utopia? Before we go there, here is the meaning from Wikipedia: "A utopia typically describes an imaginary community or society that possesses highly desirable or nearly perfect qualities for its members.

Words matter as we have come to understand of late, and the one that jumps out at me is the mention of "an imaginary community." All of which suggests it doesn't/hasn't/cannot exist. I would argue it can, not because it would be a perfect place, but one that was built uniquely different than from where people had come from.

To be very clear, everyone in Sun City came from somewhere else. It didn't exist until January 1, 1960 and even though there were folks living in Marinette Arizona, when Sun City began, it opened under a set of circumstances unlike what it had been.

It was an age restricted active adult community (50 years or older). It had no city government and was run by the Del E Webb Development Corporation (DEVCO) and those early pioneers who came looking for a better way of life. While all of the above had an idea of what it should be, those first 18 years till sell out, the community evolved, shifted and fought over its make-up.

It truly was a work in process. When DEVCO left in 1978, the owners of the company and the community had created a magical place that was unique and those living here absolutely loved. For them, Sun City had become a Utopia. Don't believe me? Stop by the Museum some day and read the oral histories. You will find stories by those first owners that will leave you stunned.

I intend to build on this thread. There is a purpose, an end game. I want anyone reading it to see what i see as a real possibility, for us to return to our roots and become the remarkable community it used to be. I 100% believe we can become the Utopia we once were.

Stay tuned.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Monday, January 10 is the first step in a long journey back to a time when Sun City belonged to the members. I keep cautioning people, it won't happen over night. It took the past 15 years to evolve to that point where a select few made all of the decisions. Where even when we did show up, it didn't matter. It took the firing of a board member we elected to awaken the membership. It was an act of foolishness and brazen arrogance to think the community wouldn't react. We had fallen far down the rabbit hole of them thinking it being entirely theirs and we were just card holders who should pay the bills and keep our mouths shut.

Sorry guys, the days of 20 people in the room and you just do whatever you want is coming to a halt. I know, the meeting on Monday will devolve into another shit show as you all tell us how this is going to work. My preference is to give you all a chance to prove us wrong and show us you not only listened but are willing to act out on the motions we passed at the annual membership meeting; even if you didn't let us vote on them. Thanks to Ben for taking the straw poll vote.

We already know your goal is to shovel the motions off to the endless world of committee-dumb and let then languish there for years. It's how you have played the game; time and time again. Committees have served as your little dumping ground and virtually nothing has been passed by the board even after they have given you tons of stuff to act on or at least consider.

I really want to believe Bill Cook is different than the previous gm. By the way, no matter how many glowing articles you write about how great 2021 was, it would have been far better to just admit it was a nightmare of epic proportions. In fact, when we read those kinds of articles, we all wonder what alternative universe you are living in? Intellectual honesty is going to be an absolute necessity if we are going to move forward.

You want to prove to us your willingness to work together, pass a couple of the motions being introduced that we, the membership passed, get them through the first and second reading and waive the third and then we will begin to believe you and what your intentions are. Until then, life will be tenuous at best and tumultuous at worst.

See you all bright and early at the Sun Dial Auditorium. Meeting starts at 9 am, get there early if you want to speak to a motion that is on the agenda. You need to sign in to speak to a motion on the sign-in sheet at the back of the room. To speak during the open session/member comments you don't need to.