Bus Trips

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by pegmih, May 12, 2019.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

When I first moved to Sun City, I took a lot of bus trips including
    Dolly Boat, Pizza Parlor, Train, and more.

I sure miss them.
    Is there any hope that they will have them again?

2. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

I would say to let your voice be heard at one of the meetings. If you can't make the meeting, have someone, who also happens to agree with you, to bring it forward at one of the meetings. I truly feel losing all of the bus trips and other activities has been a detriment to the enjoyment of what Arizona and elsewhere has to offer.

3. Michigander

Michigander New Member

The motor coach trips were high on my list why retire in Sun City. In June newsletter I saw two motor coach trips advertised. Looks like Sun City West is organizing them since the departure is from SCW. It is a shame that SC cannot organize any trips. Most retirement communities offer trips.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Sometimes i am held in very low regard because i tend to be blunt rather than careful about what i say. I try not to be rude or hurtful, but i hate communication that isn't clear and concise.

If you read Emily's response above, she was spot on. The argument was the bus trips were "labor intensive" with no financial incentive or reward for all the work. Lordy, i hate when we monetize everything; we become a business, not a community. The bus trips were popular and yes, there was an occasional headache from them. That said, was there a vote by the community for them to go-away? Funny eh?

Now we are seeing some of the very same issues cropping up with our entertainment. If you watched the board meeting yesterday you heard explanations about why ticket prices were going up. There was a time when the RCSC provided the free shows at the Sun Bowl and budgeted for them at around 50K per year. Then we started the Weds shows at Sun Dial during the high seasons. Ticket prices were very reasonable and even with that, they were money-makers.

In fairness, we see no reports of how much we pay, how much bands cost or how much we make from the events. Do we break even for all of the combined shows? We know ticket prices will be going up because of on-line sales; are we now trying to pay for the Sun Bowl shows from the profits of the Sun Dial shows? Much like the bus tours, there is little transparency on these matters, so it all become speculation. In my humble opinion, that's not how it should work, but for now, it's how it does.