Budget Passes...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Thank goodness i was helped along by others at today's board meeting. Initially i thought the 9 minute special session board meeting was a new "world's record." But alas, it was pointed out i was wrong. And as most know, when i am wrong am quite comfortable admitting it.

The true record holder was in September of 2021 when the meeting was called to order and convened in roughly 3 minutes and change. At that meeting they conducted the sordid business of swearing in Karen McAdam's replacement before they hustled out the backdoor under the protection of the hired off duty police officers.

I know that sounds like something straight out of a Saturday Night Live skit, but sadly, it's true. Who can ever forget that one member who didn't get the memo about not holding up her sign that sent them running for the exit signs?

Thank goodness those days are hopefully behind us. With the new year, i suspect we will see new energies, new directions and a more open and welcoming board of directors. The meeting could have ended in 6 minutes, but one speaker used her allotted 3 minutes to rise in opposition.

In any event, the net result of today's meeting is we will see our annual RCSC lot assessment go up from $496 to $525 effective the first of the year. Nope, not opposed to the increase as long as in 2023 they start spending the money on the membership and the clubs rather than shoveling it in the bank.

We'll see eh?

Enigma likes this.
  2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Is the Club's request list published for the public to view or is it just one more document you need to fill out requests to see? Should it be line-items listed on the budget?

I think it would kinda be nice to see what some of the Club's are requesting and what requests will be addressed. In that way, we can all see for ourselves which items the RCSC deems justified to address and prioritize.

If you were to attend some of the board meetings you would learn what some of the Club's requests were. Some are the same that have been requested for years! It would also be nice to be able to keep track and see which Club's get to jump to the front of the line!?!?!?

...and when did the Players first ask for a Performing Arts Theater? How many years ago?

Enigma, eyesopen and Linda McIntyre like this.
  3. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

It's like everything else that we don't get to see. I know of a club that has been asking for 3 years. In my opinion, a 27 million dollar budget should be able to handle more than 400k in special requests. Of course, we were reminded, new AC, dehumidifiers, etc., benefit the clubs. Really? What's the point of all of these centers if they don't support member activities.

Enigma, eyesopen and FYI like this.
  4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

For as long as we have lived here, i have found myself pondering: What could possibly be the reason for keeping everything the RCSC does such a top secret? To this day, i still don't get it. The GM and i used to go around; what have we got to hide? The answer was nothing. The reality was, it just took time and a belief that if they shared information with members they would become more involved (from my perspective).

From their perspective, they were always more comfortable keeping information closer to the smaller group they felt needed to know. It was illogical then, more so now. 2023 will be a culture shock for the general manager. Board members, every board member has the right to virtually every piece of data and information they need/want.

In 2022 he was insulated by the officers who held majority status. Next year, not happening. He works for them and as an employee he needs to respond and i mean respond quickly. The stalling games will be over. One word of advice to board members; if and when the GM doesn't provide them with the information they need/want, document, document and then document some more.

It's not my job to decide if is he is the right guy for the job, but it is the boards to expect answers to each and every question and request they submit. As i told some folks yesterday, it is impossible to do due diligence without the proper information in hand. This idea of "trust me" isn't an adequate answer when they are fulfilling their fiduciary responsibilities.

As Bob Dylan sang; "Oh the times they are a changing."

FYI, Linduska, Enigma and 1 other person like this.
  5. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

I truly believe it not only the board’s decision if the current GM is the right guy for the job, but there should have always been a fair share of community input as well. The expenditures that are being proposed should be made by the members for the members. No more of these selected projects for those that happen to be in the right place or scream the loudest. I will continue to be completely against the project at MV it is and will create a white elephant only for a few to benefit from. Far more reaching locations for such an endeavor.

Yes I am still making an effort to keep abreast of what’s going on in the world around us, mostly Sun City. I am not happy with the direction some areas are headed and again, believe it takes a village and an active community based presence such as the Posse to help provide a visual presence for all to see.
    I am, in my opinion, hoping that a new and improved search for an experienced community manager can start soon with an eye toward building a community and its membership to its fullest potential. I, for one, after having a birdseye Front Row seat of how things get screwed up, would find it refreshing to have a community minded individual at the helm.

Here is looking forward to a brighter future for all of us in Sun City.

BPearson, FYI, Linduska and 1 other person like this.