AZ drivers license - 65? enhanced?

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by J_and_V, Dec 31, 2015.

1. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

We just had our home/car insurance changed to reflect the new home/address, which means I need to put getting our license changed at the top of the list.

So, I was perusing the AZ DMV site and noticed "...Your license will expire upon turning 65 years old...Applicants age 60 years old or older will get a license valid for 5 years..." What's up with that? Just a means to get the older folks into the DMV more often to make sure they are still fit to drive? And who would make that decision, the DMV workers? If what I have guessed is true, that's very interesting.

Also, I noticed that AZ does not yet have the "Enhanced" drivers license (Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They? | Homeland Security), being a border state, I find that odd. AZ has an extension on complying with the "Real ID Act" that expires in Oct 2016 (Driver's licenses from these states may not work on domestic flights - Dec. 28, 2015).

So - does anyone think the state will comply and introduce the new license soon, or will I just need to get used to carrying my passport if I want to cross the border into Mexico?

2. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

3. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

4. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The only test that's required for renewing the 5 year, over 65 license is an eye exam. It's amazing to watch the condition of some drivers as they make their way into the building to be tested for renewal. I personally do think it's a good idea and not restrictive at all.

As far as I know, anytime you cross into Mexico or Canada a passport is required. I think the enhanced license only applies air travel and carrying your passport would just be additional support to prove who you are.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Not sure why CA is on the waiver list. I was given an enhanced version a few years ago. I had to renew in person and take a photo then; I think we need to do the in person every 10 years. Maybe the waiver is for those who haven't had to renew in person. Has anyone gotten a new AZ licence recently? Was it enhanced?

6. Mullet

Mullet Member

Looking at my driver's license photo, I do believe it's age-enhanced but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

The enhanced ones have two photos ...a regular photo and a second smaller one that's slightly transparent.

8. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

My understanding is the Enhanced AZ license will be available April 1, 2016.