August

Discussion in 'Trivia' started by pegmih, Aug 1, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

August was originally named Sextilis in Latin, because it was the sixth month in the original ten-month Roman calendar under Romulus in 753 BC, when March was the first month of the year. About 700 BC it became the eighth month when January and February were added to the year before March by King Numa

Pompilius, who also gave it 29 days. Julius Caesar added two days when he created the Julian calendar in 45 BC giving it its modern length of 31 days. In 8 BC it was renamed in honor of Augustus (despite common belief, he did not take a day from February; see the debunked theory on month lengths).

According to a Senatus consultum quoted by Macrobius, he chose this month because it was the time of several of his great triumphs, including the conquest of Egypt.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

August is National Catfish Month.

Catfish.jpg Catfish are of considerable commercial importance; many of the larger species are farmed or fished for food.

Do you like Catfish? I have never had it.

It is also National Sandwich Month.
    sandwich.jpg The sandwich was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. It is said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards while eating without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

What is your favorite sandwich? I like Hamburgers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I love catfish. It is one of my favorites. You do not get that fishy smell or taste like other fish so it takes seasoning well. Sprouts has some great catfish and reasonable prices. Costco also has it, but the filets are thin and Sprouts are very plump. You should give it a try peg!!!!
    I like to sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper, then parmesan cheese with some hunks of butter.

But my favorite sandwich is the good old hamburger. Now I am getting hungry.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

How do you cook your catfish?

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I usually just bake it around 350 until it is done. In the cooler months we do bbq it.