Are They Wrong? Or AM i?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Oct 1, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Heck, who knows, maybe the board and management gets it and I don't. I first came to Sun City, in the late 90's to visit my folks who had moved here. It was love at first sight. Within a couple of years, we bought our first home at the age of 51. Rented it out in the winter and visited it in the summers for vacation.

Like most, the rec centers were our first look at how much it offered. Fabulous. The more we looked around, the more i read and talked to those living here, the more it appealed to us. When we moved here in 2003, our first year was like many, a whirlwind of trying everything. I always write, savor that time when you initially come, it is very special.

It didn't take long for me to grasp that Sun City was more than the RCSC. In fact, while it was the largest organization with a massive budget, there was so much more that made the community unique. Every age restricted community has rec centers, many have golf courses, some have walking paths and picnic/outdoor areas. All are more expensive.

People often try and say the original Sun City is the best. I never do. It is way too subjective a term. Best is always in the eyes of the beholder and arguing mine is better than yours is senseless. We are the most unique...simply because of the way we were constructed. Sun City West is very close, but still different.

I have written it and said it in speeches too may times to count; "Sun City is a sum total of its parts." We aren't Sun City simply because of 8 rec centers, 8 golf courses, 130 clubs and the other amenities. We are Sun City because of our history; because of the dozen organizations within our infrastructure; because of the hundreds of thousands of people who came before us, because it was a community built on a premise of ownership, self-governance and volunteerism.

I could name the organizations, how they function and why that matters, but would it make any difference to the board? To management? I know the argument, their role is to run the RCSC, And, to be fair, the gm raises money for a local organization and that generates about 10K per year. That said, sitting in the meeting yesterday, i came away seeing the inward look the board takes and the RCSC being the end-all-be-all.

Maybe that's their job. Maybe their only concern should be the success of the organization. The allegiance they must swear to them when they are elected. I said yesterday i wasn't running for the RCSC board this year. I simply could not in good conscience take an oath to an organization when the reality was i would be elected by the members.

Sun City was successful, primarily because John Meeker looked at the community first and the company that employed him, DEVCO, second. In the end, he made a boatload of money for Webb, but his primary objective was building a community that would change the face of retirement and the lives of seniors forever. He did that, he was wildly successful and virtually every one of us have benefited by his actions.

If he was smart enough to understand it was community before corporation, then it's easy for me to believe the same thing. We are so much more than the RCSC and unless and until they (the board) acknowledge that we will always error on the side of corporation before community.

carptrash, suncityjack and aggie like this.
  2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Well said Bill. That is the point I try to get across to the Board but so far it's not been too successful.

3. Michael Wendel

Michael Wendel Active Member

"Sun City is a sum total of its parts" is a powerful statement.
    The "Original Sun City" is a moniker. We are not a City. We are a post office.

You can't point to Sun City as you would Peroria, Glendale, Scottsdale, Phoenix and more. They are entities. Sun City is not. RCSC is an entity. SCHOA is an entity. The Charitable Services in Sun City are entitles. By entity, I mean corporate entities. There is a legal definition of the boundaries for an entity.

The Original Sun City is a concept by Del Webb. Sun City is a trademark owned by Del Webb Corporation which is own by Pulte Coprotation.

Referring to just "Sun City" can be is confusing. Just look at this forum. See how many Sun Cities are represented. We seem to be the largest and most active community, but the other share "Sun City" as a name. All were created by Del Webb Corp over time.

The "Original Sun City" was the first.

Back to the "sum of its parts"
    Since there is no entity representing the "sum of its parts" we are left with a bit of an identity crisis and lack of any overall coordination of these parts.

How can we solve this?
    One idea that I posted in my "Fun Facts: ...APATHY" thread is education and my SunCity.Life domain.
    When I purchased the domain name, I wasn't sure what I would do with it. The".life" domains became available and I jumped on it and got SunCity.life.
    These can be fleeting opportunities. Everything used to be ".com". That has finally changed.

[Back in the 90's prior to the World Wide Web (2000 - Browsers and Web sites came to be). There was the Internet. It was based upon domain names that translated to IP addresses (32 bit numbers that are the basis of Internet connectivity today). I could get any domain I wanted for free. I could get a domain address space for free. It was new and it was the wild west of the internet. I never imagined what it has become. The "Internet" of today is referring to a much broader vision. I worked for the company that coined the term Cloud Computing and "the Cloud". We had in incredible marketing machine. I was there when it was born.]

I talk about my new concept for SunCity.Life in the "Fun Facts:...Apathy" thread.
    I am keeping the concept simple. I can't boil the ocean, but I can create a "Sum of the Parts".
    The web site will not be interactive. It will be outfacing and provide documentation on the "Parts".

This will be dynamic information that will educate the community.
    I will start with what I have learned and seek information from others.
    It will evolve to be "The Original Sun City and the Here are the Parts" = SunCity.Life.

This is a process and I'm going to start it soon (could be months from now).
    I am motivated and will at some point need help.
    But I have a lot of things on my table and need to prioritize my life.

I've already spent over 4 hours on the forum today. Time to walk away.

I've been looking for ideas, sharing ideas and searching for solutions.
    I've found a solution worthy of my time and energy. Now I need to fit into my personal activities and priorities.

I never thought retirement would be busier than before retirement. Retirement is far more enjoyable.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    BPearson likes this.
  4. BPearson

When TOSC went down, people started asking me about building a site to replace it. The name "We Love Sun City" was suggested and i went to Go Daddy because it was available and bought the URL for 2 years. Then i started talking with a local guy who does websites and was looking around at various platforms. I like the Message board format like TalkofSunCity but it covers too many bases. He is in the process of running some tests using the free software PHP.BB.com. I asked if he could build it so it opened to a landing page. I said i wanted it warm, welcoming and easy to find what you are looking for. He said he was confident he could do that. Then TOSC came back up and the more immediate issue with getting folks to the meeting was far more important.

I used Nextdoor when it began, i hated it. Hard to find, too political and not much fun to use. I am no techie, not even close. Sites i have administered i had them build so they were user friendly (both for me and the visitors). I too was taught to write at a sixth grade level, sometimes i fail. I learned quickly the best communication was the one people understood and didn't walk away scratching their head wondering.

Personally i think there is a void the RCSC will never fill and we could build a site that over time would do some of that. When we first started talking about "We Love Sun City" we agreed, staying positive and avoiding the bitching and moaning would allow us a far greater chance of success. Then if we could add the social media component, we can begin reaching people in the community. It's doable and frankly, we could start building an internal organizing structure that would allow us a greater voice in the community.

5. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Bill and Michael I am so in favor of a community website! It is a dire need for this comunity to share information, as well as members to converse, share ideas and seek positive outcomes. I truly beleive it should be Sun City based, and it be concerned with what is going on within these white walls, how to protect the membership, as well as make every effort to be an RCSC watchdog of sorts, making sure everyone can be apprised of changes being made which would directly affect the membership status and values. Nextdoor allows way too may interlopers from around the valley to post items which may not be of interest to the local community. TOSC is great but the fear is and always will be if they will try to shut down or otherwise take away this tool of communication away.

I especially feel, right now, Sun City needs a communication tool, to be able to gather like minded individuals to create the community of members we all know it can be. Exchanging ideas, seeking solutions, finding out ways together as a group with a common goal of restoring membership to the members and forget calling them "Card Holders"

I totally appreciate all that the both of you do. I am more than willing to offer some time to assist in whatever capacity I can be of value. So sorry I missed the meeting, but I had surgery on my bladder, and it ate up the enitre morning.

6. Michael Wendel

Well, Now I've spent 5 hours of my day on this forum. I'm almost a touch typist after all these years but when I find my fingers have migrated from the home position, I read some pretty cryptic garbage and have to clean it up. :oops:

Building a forum like Talk of Sun City is hard. It requires some constant maintenance and management. When I was on the RCSC Communication Committee I proposed a forum like this. I wanted to interactive communication so we we rent limited to 1 hour a month. What a waste.

I implemented a forum just like Talk of Sun City. I used free software. It's a lot of work. Needless to say it failed and I had a small group involved. So I gave up on this.

Talk of SunCity - We don''t know who is behind this forum site. We don't know their motives.
    When the site went down I didn't know who to call. So I dug deep.

Talk of Sun City - WHOIS [whois the the way you find who owns and supports a web site on the internet]
    This is what I found [https://www.whois.com/whois/talkofsuncity.com Go to the link and it looks prettier.
    This Forum format does not let me copy and paste the formatted information. Its a technical issue with Forums like this]
    talkofsuncity.com
    Updated 8 days ago

Raw Whois Data

Domain Name: TALKOFSUNCITY.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1696748204_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Updated Date: 2021-03-11T09:31:45Z
    Creation Date: 2012-01-12T18:53:02Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-03-10T07:59:59Z
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [​IMG]@godaddy.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 2155 E Warner Rd
    Registrant City: Tempe
    Registrant State/Province: Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code: 85284
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.4806242599
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +1.4806242598
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: [​IMG]@domainsbyproxy.com
    Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
    Tech Name: Registration Private
    Tech Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Tech Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Tech Street: 2155 E Warner Rd
    Tech City: Tempe
    Tech State/Province: Arizona
    Tech Postal Code: 85284
    Tech Country: US
    Tech Phone: +1.4806242599
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +1.4806242598
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: [​IMG]@domainsbyproxy.com
    Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
    Admin Name: Registration Private
    Admin Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Admin Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Admin Street: 2155 E Warner Rd
    Admin City: Tempe
    Admin State/Province: Arizona
    Admin Postal Code: 85284
    Admin Country: US
    Admin Phone: +1.4806242599
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +1.4806242598
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: [​IMG]@domainsbyproxy.com
    Name Server: NS.LIQUIDWEB.COM
    Name Server: NS1.LIQUIDWEB.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2021-09-23T18:51:17Z <<<
    ==============================================================================​

So what does all this mean?

The domain is hosted anonymously by Godday. GoDaddy owns DomainsbyProxy with provides the privacy for the domain owner.

The phone numbers offer no help. I called them. They could only give me the email address in the WHOIS Raw Data.

The Admin Email: "Talkof Suncity.com@domainsbyproxy.com" will route your email message to whoever owns this domain.

I sent an email to the address. I got a response many hours later. "The problem has been fixed". Only part of the problem was fixed. So I sent 2 more emails with the error message that I saw (as a user). Several days later, I got another email response (after I found that the forum was working again).

What can I say? The product is free. There is no claim or guarantee of good support. It got fixed and we are using the forums again.

Back to my earlier question: What is the Motivation for the existence and support of this forum?

Somebody is paying the costs (Computer, Internet, Storage, Administration) and we are not paying anything to use this.

Setting up our forum own is very hard and comes with real costs.
    I already posted about Nextdoor.

As I see it, this the best opportunity and solution for this kind of discussion at this time.

I'm sure this software (forum) has the ability to require signing up. Limit posts to members. Even make it private so only signed up members and approved members can post and even read posts. But that requires the owner of this site's involvement. We don't know who that is.

You get what you pay for!:eek:

7. Michael Wendel

The interactive part is difficult. Seems easy but its not.
    Putting together a central index is easy. It would require continuous updates to keep the information relevant and current.

8. CMartinez

Back to my earlier question: What is the Motivation for the existence and support of this forum?

My personal motivation would be to see this come to fruition just as soon as humanly possible with the intent of being available to assist in the organization and creation of a community group to suuport the members and their efforts to reclaim Sun City as ours.I think this about says it, doesn't it? If we need to collect monies in order to create this vision into a reality, it can still be done as a non-profit, just need to advise those offering money their "donation" is not tax dedcutible. There are several web developers whom specialize in community development site building and they do charge fees. I also trust Bill to have made some contacts who may be able to support such an endeavor, as he has also purchased a domain name as well. I would susepct he has a vision of what could be accomplished, or I do not think he would have invested the time and money to seek a web designation. Just a hunch.

3cavkings likes this.
  9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

It is a puzzelment

10. BPearson

Is it carp? From the day i moved here, i knew what i wanted to try and do. I had the good fortune of understanding a little of our history, near on 20 years later, i know a lot more. Add to the mix my previous work life and I was a collectivist at heart. The oddity was for most of Sun City's existence, it was controlled by those leaning right. One can only chuckle at the thought of a bunch of old right wingers helping build a "commune" of sorts. The truth was Sun City and the way it was structured appealed to both right and left. While politics was alive and well, it didn't stop the members (owners) from working together.

I had the good fortune of buying and living here before the exiting gm took control. The committees played an integral role, the board was dedicated, hard working men and women who took their duties seriously. Hell, in 1999, the board passed the PIF, a gutsy aggressive plan to address the aging amenity infrastructure. They often talked to the community about what they wanted. It was still all about the members helping make decisions. The Bell Center got rebuilt, the Fairway Center was plowed under and started anew. The board members were the driving force but the clubs and the community were involved every step of the way.

And then the good old days stopped dead in their tracks. The new gm was hired and saw committees to be impediments to her future plans. Boards were offered less work and less in actual time commitments as she force-fed them everything they needed to know. Research by the board became a thing of the past and with the passing of time she controlled every decision. Changing by-laws allowed her total and absolute control. Golfers became the majority of the board and her focus became all things golf.

As i sat on the sidelines watching, i became more frustrated. I saw what she was doing and thought it was exactly in opposition to how we were built and why we were successful. I made a decision to run for the board and try and make a difference. Foolishness on my part. By the time i got there (2012) the pieces were all in place for her long range plan to become the end game and anything Carole or I proposed were simply voted down by the guys who loved her agenda.

Here's the thing i learned in running a non-profit where i worked for the owners; i didn't need to have all the answers. I simply had to ask them what they wanted and then figure out how to get it done. So freaking simple. Best of all, it was the exact blueprint that John Meeker used to make Sun City the unrivaled success it was. For some strange reason i was convinced the gm and my fellow board members would see how we could recreate that structure.

Ludicrous on my part. The board looked at the gm and said we are paying her pretty good so she must have all the answers. She went along with it and acted as if she had all the answers. It's simply a recipe for disaster. No one has all the answers and when they fail to recognize that, we end up exactly where we are today. A community run by a small minority of folks who become resentful anyone would challenge their supposed authority. It's so tragic because it should never have come to this point. Yet, here we are.

All yesterday's news. What we need do now is look forward. The big question is, can we? It depends, who we elect come this November? It depends, is the new gm the real deal or merely an extension of the old one? It depends, is the old one even gone or is she going to become a "consultant?" It depends, will members continue to show up or will it simply go back to 20 members showing up and the rcsc just doing whatever they please?

I would love to see one of the existing or exiting board members come on line and have this discussion, or better yet, the exiting gm. Don't hold your breath.

Michael Wendel and carptrash like this.
  11. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Thanks and I am not holding my breath. Well, maybe during the Cards game.

12. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I still believe an argument can be made to reduce the number of Members required to achieve a quorum at the Annual Membership Meeting too perhaps as low as 200-300?

There are many opinions on what the quorum requirement should be. Should it be more than 50% of the total membership? Should it be a somewhat lower percentage of the total membership? Or should it simply be the average number of Members who you would typically expect to show up for the meeting?

Think about this....Suppose for a minute that a quorum was only 200 Members and they showed up at the Annual Membership Meeting and made some damaging motions. I would suspect that at the next Annual Meeting you would see 400 members show up to rescind that motion? So I don't see bad decisions lasting very long because the opposing Members would involve themselves.

Perhaps that's also a good reason to go back to 4 Membership meetings a year?

The argument the RCSC likes to make is if the quorum was only 100 one person could show up with 99 proxy's. So make a bylaw that states that proxy's can't exceed 25% -30% of the quorum!

It's just my opinion but I believe that would be the start of Membership involvement and returning ownership back to the Members.

Poison_Ivy and carptrash like this.
  13. SCR

SCR Active Member

How will anyone know if there is a quorum if there is no official RCSC count of attendees?

enforces the need of electronic data collection that somehow has been forgotten.

14. BPearson

No argument there FYI; membership meetings with a reachable quorum would be a great start. It won't happen. As i have pointed out before, even with floor motions and proxy votes, there was still by-law language preventing anything drastic from happening. They created a red herring and the board ate it up. It was nonsense then, it still is today.

The culture of an organization becomes fairly entrenched. I've written on this site when i was elected to the board, I intentionally went in and tried to shake it up. I knew what i was doing and it simply was a choice, try and get along or try and make a difference. Both were doomed to fail because the gm had absolute control.

I want you all to remember back when the pandemic hit and everything was shut down. I refused to be critical of their decisions, everyone was just flailing about not knowing what was going to happen. I was however critical of the impersonal and detached communication they did to the members. It was atrocious. If you don't like it, tough, just keep paying your fees. It's our right to take your money, so just suck it up. I was shocked by how callous it was.

Worse yet, even with almost everything shut down, employees all got paid. Nope, no problem with that; what i resented was it was the perfect opportunity to spend that year we were closed developing a technology outreach to members. To enhance our systems to include online ticket purchases, to create an online presence with social media and showcase the Sun City lifestyle. How much of that happened? Virtually nothing as they argued people were busy cleaning centers that weren't open and picking up occasional phone calls. Nobody seemed to give two-shits about becoming anything different than what they were.

Point here is, they appear to be locked and loaded on more of the same. If that's the case, new gm or clinging to the old one as a consultant, it will just be more of the same. The existing gm spent 15 years building the existing culture. As i said to her following the board running off the stage on Sept 13, this is what you get when the membership is left in the dust.

Cheri Marchio likes this.
  15. CMartinez

It appears to this reader there is a ponderance of what can happen in a futuristic time. When talking about the current BOD and management structure, this should be considered an alternate universe, parallel to what is needed or desired by the membership. I am still of the mindset a community direction and tone needs to be set NOW. I also feel the time to build a strong community interest in becoming a member of a group which can lead the members and ultimately the board, into the light of what is truly needed is NOW.

There seems to be be more than a a passive interest by a portion of the membership to become active in a collaborative group to regain the community which will serve the membertship first and not the corporation. So, with that said, I looked at several hosting sites, most of which have experience in establishing, creating, and hosting a community site which would meet our needs now but also have the ability to be flexible as the membership community grows and transitions with the necessary changes. Bill has already reserved a domain name which is ideal for the intent of the group. The only thing missing is to pull the trigger and get this whole project into gear. The sooner the site is up, the sooner a short term plan can be established to deal with the conundrum being frought upon the members over the next few months. Having the site soon would also allow for additional candidate meetings, such as casual meet and greets, meet the candidates at a local forum, not dominated by the RCSC. It could also be a great resource for the members to know what is really going on within these white walls rather than being left in the dark.

TOSC is a great resource and I am truly grateful they are here. Without them, we wuld not be able to have the discussions we are having now. I still see a great need for a focused site for the Sun City members, and quickly. Just my humble opnion.

Cheri Marchio, 3cavkings and eyesopen like this.
  16. SCR

SCR Active Member

What is your plan to attract more members than there are on this site to a new and competing site?
    A new site will not in my opinion will not add any more interested members in the governance of Sun City and the RCSC Corporation which in my opinion are the MEMBERS. I don’t know where all the attendees at the last board meeting were aroused enough to attend the last board meeting, but I’m guessing it was reading this forum.
    If you believe a new site will generate more traffic, opinions, and member involvement - go for it.

17. CMartinez

I am speaking from a perspective of having been in contact with others who have an interest in having a site for the membership. I also beleive a new site with a title directed for and about the Sun City membership could be quite productive. I also read other sites and blogs, and there seems to be a genuine interest in finding a way to be personally involved with the workings of the community, and finding ways to make sure the community is reclaimed for this membership. As the writings have of late opened many eyes as to what has occured both to the bylaws, the board, the total takeover by the GM of the operation of the RCSC, there is a lot more interest in the inner workings of this community.

Bill has written volumes as to the history as well as the type of insurgence which has taken over the BOD by way of the GM and her selected management members. I would hope the same members who would join any one of the sites would be interested in joining both, as they are mutually supportive of each other and the needs of the community.

As for creating a new site, just for the sake of doing so, is non-productive. I feel there are some goals being worked on by other like minded people, and shall see what I can do to be supportive of any action decided upon.

18. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Timing is perfect to launch a We ❤️ Sun City member focused website! Let’s take advantage while interest in the community is heightened!
    Initial emphasis to provide information, resources, opportunities to help and discussion related to current RCSC concerns will drive membership to the new website. Other topic areas can be added as it grows.
    NOW is the right time to launch, promote and actively take back Sun City!

19. BPearson

Building an online community always sounds good, the question becomes how do you do that? How do you reach people you want to join and belong to the group? As Mike said, it's not easy. The guy i used to build the sites we used in my previous life was a dreamer like me. We saw the opportunity to develop an online "commons" where workers of like minds could come together and help shape a movement. We had a pretty good start and then like so often, stuff happened, i got diverted with aspects of my job i had no control of. Too bad.

Mike also said the time factor would be significant. I chuckled when he said he has finger touch (or something like that) which means he can light up a keyboard. After all these years i am still a hunt and pecker. In spite of that, i am relentless on the keyboard and just keep banging stuff out. Time is meaningless to me. If anything, i use my writing to help stimulate my thinking. Unlike many, i enjoy it. I know, i'm freaking odd.

A week or two back, i gave a presentation at the Nex Gen Club. The funny story is Paul Herrmann, who was the director of the Visitor Center before the RCSC took it over, and I started the club. Our initial goal was to create a network of support for new home owners. Ideally we would become a kind of Welcome Wagon and mentor buyers to help them navigate the challenges of new active way of life. A bunch of club members stepped up and we got out of the way and they became more of a social club where they do fun things. It was all good as we really weren't looking for more work.

Anyway, i still see the importance of working with new buyers. Like Mike, i tried to convince the RCSC to start an interactive blog. Never had a snowballs chance in hell, they were going in a different direction. There's a need to provide a resource and we could fill it. That alone would make the RCSC nervous and think about helping owners understand what Sun City is all about. Something they don't do very well. Why bother? They get paid no matter what.

There's clearly a need, there should be an interest. If we could figure out how to marry a good interactive message board, a welcoming home page along with a healthy crossover with social media, it could be done. I have no interest in doing it just for the sake of doing it. It needs to be well thought out with a plan, a schedule and a rollout that attracts Sun City residents and potential buyers alike.

20. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

IMHO launching a web site is not going to "take back" Sun City. Everyone will be able to read it so what will be different on it than on here? It shouldn't be rushed. How and why did we get almost 200 people to attend a Board meeting? What was the spark this time?

I am intrigued by Carole's idea of "community" and Bill's idea of a place for the membership to meet, socialize, have coffee. The "old" days of John Meeker appeal but would they appeal to the next generations - the Gen x'ers (1965 - 1976), Millennials (1977 - 1995) and Gen Z (1996 - 2015). My 34 year old granddaughter has a totally different outlook towards life than we had: no house because they don't want all the upkeep and payments; no kids because they will tie them down; want a job that they like, not necessarily worried about what it pays because they know that no one offers a pension anymore. They didn't have parents who saved rubber bands, string, aluminum foil because you "don't waste; it costs money." Totally different mindset. And they're coming! Or Sun City better hope they're coming, or it won't be able to exist.

Sometimes I think we have too many rec centers, too many golf courses, etc. Mountainview and Fairway are less than a mile apart. Worries about water and the leaking lake, IMHO, should be at the very top of every list, not thinking about tearing down a perfectly good building and swimming pool. The timing isn't right. Or, is it necessary to keep $16,939,276 in unrestricted funds (that includes a $2.5 million cash reserve, Cash on Hand -Petty Cash, Money Market Cash, Operating Reserve and Cash in the Bank) of $16,939,27, a PIF of $24, 463,879 and a Capital Reserve Fund with a balance of $5,510,716? (I'm not a money person; copied off the Treasurer's Report for 9.30.21)

Where we lose people is after they move in. Their only education about Sun City is what their realtor may have told them and what they read on the RCSC website. Maybe what's lacking is a "welcome wagon" of sorts. They do not understand the significance of the Board, the Executive Committee, the PIF dollars, and the influence of Golf. But, we can't force it on them if they're not interested. What they do understand and demand is services for the dollars they invest. We all should. I feel like so much of that is hidden from us by RCSC. Why aren't' the committee meetings videotaped anymore? Why isn't every document that contains bylaw and amendment changes available to us on the web? Where is the Master Plan for the future? Why haven't we kept up with technology?

As someone else said on here somewhere: It's a conundrum. Maybe tomorrow.......

Funny...I hit enter and discovered that Bill had written just before me about a Welcome Wagon of sorts!

SCR likes this.