Aloe vera - the medicine plant

Discussion in 'Medical and Health' started by Anita Mae, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Aloe vera is a stemless or very short-stemmed succulent plant and has been widely grown as an ornamental plant.
    With our awesome monsoon rains - my Aloe Vera Plants have become green & "happy"
    :sneakiness:

O. Vera Medicine Plant.jpg

I have always had some sort of variety of the Aloe Vera Plant in my backyard desert garden. AND I have used it many times to help relieve and/or help recover - - a skin burn - - either from the sun-burn, a cooking - type burn and or a blister...

Cut the stem and the slimy gel can be seen - - rub that gel -- using the stem as a "holder" onto skin burn - - Nice soothing relief. I have used this "gel" - - from the plant, growing in my garden - - for years.

2. archer

archer New Member

An Aloe Vera plant is on my list of things I want to plant, not sure why I haven't gotten around to it yet. We had an indoor Aloe plant for years, it did well in a pot, but it died during our 3 month trip to Alaska and I never replaced. Ice works pretty well for a burn, but the Aloe is more soothing.

3. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

They can get outta control and you'll often see them stacked up as garbage when people thin them out. That's how I adopted mine. I have the kind with the orange blooms but would like to get some of the yellow bloom ones for some variety. I also think that kind can grow up a little taller rather than spreading out with the "pups" like the other. Archer, if you need any, just private message me and we can arrange it.

4. archer

archer New Member

Thanks SCJ.......I'll keep you in mind when we get back to Sun City. Our indoor aloe never bloomed......I guess I never thought of them as a blooming plant. How often/how long do they bloom?

5. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

If I'm remembering correctly, it was in spring and the flower stalk lasted a few weeks and brought a bit of color. Sure, keep my crop in mind upon your return.