Abuse of Authority...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Nov 13, 2021.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Active Member

Yes, I found myself rereading some of the past Management reports in my quest for ammunition on Mountain View and in them you can see how many open positions each month and how many hires. I then wondered if during COVID they didn't have a reduction of staff; I wouldn't have thought there was as much to do in the centers/restrooms/ etc. Sometimes it appears like we have a lot of staff especially when hardly anyone uses the facility after 6 p.m. (that's my observation only). But--that's another investigative battle for another day!

2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Two-faced
    Self serving
    Manipulative
    Control freak
    Make decisions that benefit oneself...

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Just did a quick read around both the Articles of Incorporation and the By-Laws. Not much meat on the bone in either regarding the gm. Now at least i see why Stella sees the need to enhance and define the gm's role. One of my requests to the RCSC was for a set of By-Laws from 20005, love to see how that has changed.

4. SCR

SCR Active Member

Without a job description the GM can pretty much do whatever they want.
    There has got to be a job description. I would wager a bet that it does not include answering bylaw questions or submitting motions to change bylaws.

Having said this I would guess that those in control (GM) are drafting a job description that gives them absolute control of SC. Think not - who submits bylaw motion changes. Who answers questions from the members that require bylawv interpreter-

Think about it - when a question is asked regarding bylaws, the board sits there like a deer in headlights with no response and finally asks the GMTo answer the question.

Do we need a BOD any longer?

More to come in another threat regarding the need for a BOD.

5. BPearson

Come of SCR, there's a reason they sit there like a deer in the head lights.

6. jeb

jeb Active Member

Bylaws, Article V, Section 6 gives duties and some description.

7. SVanNess

SVanNess New Member

I have asked about the GM job description on multiple occasions, even going so far as to ask another BOD to inquire about it for me. The answer has always been the same. The only job description there is for the GM is Board Policy 32. That board policy was changed in November 0f 2020 when Dan Schroeder was the president of the board.
    As BPearson mentioned I feel very strongly regarding the need to change that BP with a new GM taking the helm.

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

It would be very informative to simply see what the requirements/qualifications were required for the GM candidate when they sent out the notice for employment?

I would expect it to be a little more detailed than BP-32?

9. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Not trying to change the subject of take the thread off track, but I want to thank Stella VanNess for her joining the conversation. It is great appreciated to see a candidate and former board member express their opinion openly and honestly.

SVanNess likes this.
  10. SVanNess

SVanNess New Member

Thank you Carol. I have been trying to get signed into the site for quite some time without success, finally got through.

OneDayAtATime likes this.
  11. SVanNess

SVanNess New Member

I have been trying to get that information but have been unsuccessful.

I am very aware that the newly retired GM did not like nor appreciate the evaluations that I gave her. Probably why she changed BP 32, the year after my term was up and before that years evaluations were due.

As I have said numerous times, You may not like my answers but I will be honest with you.

12. BPearson

Hey Stella, welcome. Curious on your take on the gm rewriting the by-laws the way she did. I always suspected it was her doing but until i could prove it, it was just speculation.

13. SVanNess

SVanNess New Member

Bill, Thank you.

I don't know about when you were on the board and I can't speak to that but what I can tell you is when I was on the board, even as an officer, changes to the board policies as well as the bylaws were never discussed with me other than in work sessions and those all came in the form of a change already written out and presented to us for review and approval at the next board meeting. If we had the nerve to request a change to what was presented it was made very clear to us that it was not appreciated nor wanted. Hence the tail wagging the dog. Hence why I did what I did when it came to job performance and why I am against the changes made to BP 32 in November of 2020. If you remember my term ended in December of 2019.

And as is often said, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input Stella and Welcome.

I would be curious to learn your feelings on amending the Bylaws back to the days pre-Ek? What's the Board/GM so afraid of that they have restricted the Membership from doing just about everything without having too first jump thru hoops and sign away your first born?

15. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Active Member

Welcome Stella. Yes, many people have mentioned that they can't get on the site. Wish we had our own membership page on RCSC or our own web site.

16. Say What

Say What Active Member

Question:. When a candidate is running for a board position, where are they allowed to post their bio and qualifications for members to see. What is the rule? Thank you!!!

17. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

They can apparently do more than the average Member. We have pretty much all the bio's from the candidates posted in our Club space.

Let's just say they can do things on RCSC property that the average Member can't!

18. BPearson

In response to Stella's question, i was on the board in 2012, 2013 and 2014. It was the same back then and in reality i suspect for the 15 years under the exiting gm. Discussions regarding by-laws was virtually non-existent. The gm had bred a culture of her having all the answers and the boards job was to rubber stamp them. That's what happens when you rewrite the documents that state your job as a board member is to provide "undivided loyalty to the corporation." You can't make this crap up and now that we have it in black and white we know it is true.

I've written too many times, board members over the years, never crawled out of bed saying: "i wonder how i can write by-laws to screw the membership today?" they just don't. And for many of them, they are clueless how important our documents actually are. They are the blueprint, the guidelines for how we function. The gm's argument was i was the one that worked with them so no one knows better than me.

All of that has to change going forward, if not, we will continue to move away from a community built for those living here to one where the most important thing is the RCSC. It's not or at least it shouldn't be.

19. SVanNess

SVanNess New Member

Thanks FYI!

To be very honest I am not familiar enough with what the bylaws were pre-Ek to be able to fairly answer that question, I would be more than happy to look at them and review them with that in mind if I could find a copy of them. Also, I don't believe it is the board that is afraid. As I said previously changes were made and presented to the board for approval by management with very convincing arguments as to why they need to be changed, however one sided them may have been, much like some changes that are coming down shortly regarding the COC committee. I see these changes as just another way of removing the members access to the board without first going through management. Once again I see this as management is trying to take over everything. The beat goes on just a new face at the helm.

20. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Well...I believe it's time that Members remind Management why they are there, and the Board needs to remind the GM who's the boss?

If everybody, the Board and Management, is doing a good job then there's no need to be afraid of the Members or restrict us with all the current obstacles.

eyesopen likes this.