A Test of How Things Are Going>>>

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 3, 2019.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Over the years i have been an outspoken critic of how long it took to complete projects by the RCSC. We had an assistant general manager that i was less than fond off. He was a nice guy but virtually everything he did took months and months longer than stated. Even the little projects dragged on. And, everything came in over budget.

He's gone and we now have a new assistant gm overseeing them. I only bring this up because the Bell pool area is closing today or tomorrow for extensive work. I've seen a two month projection for completion, which seems quick given our history. In fact, the indoor spa closed last year at Bell and was supposed to be done in a short time but ended up being months longer than planned.

As you can imagine, there's been lots of grumbling by those who use the Bell pool. For those unfamiliar with statistics, the pool areas are the only amenity/club where usage goes up in the summer months. Virtually every other club and venue drops off in the summer. Of course it begs the question; why do it during the "high season," but that's way beyond my pay grade.

So, let's take this thread as an opportunity to track the work progress and see how close they come to finishing on time. If my math is correct, we should be looking for a reopening around the end of the first week in August. That would be awesome because we will be in the midst of those 100 plus degree days where residents want and need to take a dip.

Without further ado, start the clock eh.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I will predict that it will be completed just prior to Labor Day weekend in time for the winter visitors slow return.

3. BPearson

Quick update on the Bell pool. Went for a workout yesterday at Bell and they had a full crew there plugging away on the pool area. Impressive. If they continue this pace, perhaps they will finish on time.

I will be the first to say; "job well done."

We'll see.

4. BPearson

Damn...Sunday was another day of trying to stay on track. Huge crew in working...that's a good thing.

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

So Bill.....How's the progress on the Bell pool going? We're a month in now....

6. BPearson

Great question aggie and i have been meaning to post, so thanks for the prompt. To say the least, i've been amazed. The pool and walking pool have been redone and are now filled. The buildings have been painted and are ready to go. The only visible part left is the decking. Not sure why that would be done last. If memory serves me they were working on some internal parts of the pool equipment, but no sure if that is correct and if it is whether it has been done.

The guys were working 7 days a week, probably why they have stayed on track. Thank God for Latino's, because without them, we'd be lost.

7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

So how about your monthly update on progress.....

8. BPearson

They sent out an email there would be a week delay. No idea why, the thing has been sitting there waiting to be coated.

If it turns out to be only a week, that's way better than in the past.

We'll see.

How's that ma, did i stay on topic?

9. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

You get a gold star!

10. BPearson

So the pool opened the other day, that's a good thing. Unfortunately the pool decking didn't get replaced. They sanded off the rough, worn areas and sealed it to look kind of like the existing deck. Not exactly sure what the rub was, but the new rubberized product they were going to put down was going to drag on longer than they were comfortable leaving the pool closed for, so they opted to patch it and get it open for card holders to be able to use it.

Apparently they have put this product down in a couple of areas, primarily at Oakmont and it is getting rave reviews. It is a touch more expensive than cool deck, but lasts way longer, is slip resistant, cooler to the touch and looks pretty good. I'll have to stop down and see it. Or, if someone who uses the Oakmont pool has seen it, a review would be appreciated.

The good news is the pools at Bell are open and the new paint job looks great.