A New Worlds Record...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Dec 11, 2019.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

They don't C, you know that. Here's a hint> What is the average number of moves a person makes in Sun City?

2. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

My guess is four moves. Into Sun City, twice within Sun City, and then out of Sun City to another permanent location.

3. BPearson

Funny cause i used to know the answer and it was surprisingly high. Lots of folks bought in small, enlarged and then downsized as they aged. Of course the point is, some folks (even board members) downsize eh?

4. CMartinez

DUH! Now I get it, instead of having 9 directors, they will have 8, for at least the next year. Hopefully, no longer than one year anyway. The GM already has too much sway in board direction, don't need less voices.

5. BPearson

Not to be unkind, but i suspect a retread.

CMartinez likes this.
  6. CMartinez

and a golfer as well?

7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Coming up for air! Holiday visitors left yesterday and our little house seems so much larger(& relaxed!). The past 4 months have been too hectic and I'm looking forward to a slower pace in 2020. Best wishes to all for a Happy, Healthy 2020!

I'm expecting someone to ask about the possible unqualified Board Member but will do some checking if it's not brought up at the January 13th meeting. You cannot be a cardholder/member if your primary residence is a non-deeded condo style living unit in Sun City (i.e. The Fountains & Royal Oaks). If a current member is removed, I'm pretty sure there would be an appointment to fill the remaining term.

Another quiet action behind the scenes is the fact that the Outreach & Member Communications Committee has disappeared from the meeting schedule. The committee has seen a lack of participation over the past 2 years but that's because none of their requests or suggestions are approved by management. Is it gone for good or just an oversight? The last minutes were from the October meeting.

8. BPearson

Spot on aggie. Shits on the communication committee. The less input we get, the more Peoria/Glendale/Surprise like we become. Guess losing our sense of community is no big deal to some eh?

9. fixj

fixj Active Member

A golfer!!! Oh no!!! Why wasn't this mentioned earlier in this thread?

10. BPearson

We are getting way ahead of ourselves. No one has left yet and if and when they do, the likelihood is to bring someone on for the remainder of the year. I say retread in that should i some day run again, i too would be a retread. The argument is someone who has served wouldn't have to get up to speed like a newbie. As far as a golfer, immaterial. There's nothing left of any significance in golf to spend on so it matters not. The problem is we have enormous catch-up to do after the all-golf-all-the-time years.

The biggest concern should be aggies comments regarding the member outreach and communication committee just going away. Of course if serving on it means being ignored, what's the point?

11. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Bill, I'd really like to hope that is true. But I fear it isn't... (and I'm sorry in advance that the following is sorta off-topic since this thread is primarily about requirements to be a board member, not golf.)

Nothing left to spend on? I don't believe it. Eg, I met a golfer at a gathering in a neighboring retirement community a month or so ago. In discussing amenities, I was somewhat shocked when he said he thought the SC courses were "in pretty bad shape even with all the improvements made the past couple years." He said the SC courses were "convenient", but he "mostly played elsewhere" (his community doesn't have a golf course). Maybe this guy is off base, but SC golf needs outsider revenue. And history shows SC will keep pouring money into the golf sink hole so guy's like this will play here.

And, I'm still on record predicting that, as water scarcity becomes more of an issue (for whatever reason... climate change, population growth, etc), the golf mavens will spend massive sums of money to keep the courses playable. I've often wondered if these head-in-the-sand people ever considered what it would cost to buy out the deed restriction on the golf courses from DW's successors (Pulte?), or the cost to litigate them away. Buy... litigate... stay the course... whatever the choice it will cost SC many millions of dollars and, in the end, SC will most likely have little or no golf. But which choice is taken will make a big difference over who gets to decide the eventual fate of the property... SC... Pulte.... or a bankruptcy court?

12. BPearson

Hey IC, hope all is well. Wish i had a crystal ball and could see ten years into the future. Gen X will hit retirement age next year and they just won’t be golfing. Sorry, but the trends are what they are. No one cared as we screamed from the mountaintop as they shoveled so much into the courses and now as rounds drop, they act as if no big deal.

Sadly, it is a big deal because we have fallen behind in so many areas. Catching up will be a long slow process and as we have watched, no one will be held accountable for the choices that were made. They’ll simply point at Viewpoint lake and tell us it had to be done. Fine, produce the document no one has ever seen and i will be more understanding.

I just don’t see how anyone (management or board) justifies any more money into golf. Outside play or not, our courses are always going to be exactly what they were built to be; plentiful and boring (at least in comparison to newer, nicer and more challenging courses).

Just to be on the safe side, we are looking into the original documents where the courses were given to the RCSC. They were very specific about the costs not being subsidized by the home owners. Unfortunately some have chosen to ignore those tenets, so as we move forward we will have a better understanding on how and why they have been over-looked.

13. fixj

fixj Active Member

One half of the people who play golf in the US are under 54. In the last 3 years the number of junior golfers has increased by 20%.

Approx. 27 million people currently play golf in the US.

Analyzing what younger generations will do if/ when they retire is difficult. In SC it's common to meet people who took up golf after retirement.

14. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Phew! Must have been an oversight regarding the Communications Committee as the Committee Meeting is back on the schedule for January 14, 2020. Now let's hope for some action and co-operation from RCSC Management.

15. BPearson

Curious how and why the last couple of meetings went away. What may be even more interesting will be who becomes president and what board members assigned to what committees. I hear there are a couple of them fighting to become president.