Younger SunCityian here

Discussion in 'Sun City New Members' started by Dlanor, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dlanor

Dlanor New Member

I just moved to Sun City (Az. Original One) close to Bell Rec Center a couple months ago.
    I have worked here years ago doing home maintenance , worked for Jaycox A/C for a few years , and also Freedom Plaza initial Opening , and Royal Oaks back in the late 80's through late 90's.
    I'm familiar with Sun City and know all the roads like the back of my hand , along with being familiar with a lot of the lifestyle and amenities here.
    I have worked (still am) for a Family Trust that is almost bankrupt (because of greedy children) as a live in care giver for a long time family acquaintance for the last 8 years. Was given the opportunity of where (I) wanted to live during her last years in life , that made me happy , and had more opportunity than the tiny town we lived in out of state !
    For whatever reason , I choose to come back and live here , and picked out a very nice secure Condo.
    I'm feeling quite out of place after returning here , and its changed a lot from how I remember things nearly 3 decades ago.
    I'm here to just see whats going on , and maybe make a couple nice friends and get out and socialize a bit.
    I am almost 55 and feeling very out of place here.
    Ron

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Hi Ron. Did you check out the NextGen club? It's the younger crowd and they socialize...they have a calendar online. I think their rule is you can't be older than 65 to be an officer, but they can't restrict age for membership. http://www.nextgensuncity.org/ My next door neighbor is 56. Emily, who is usually around on this forum, is about your age. Maybe you just need to look a bit harder to find the younger crowd. I'm 64 and will move there soon...hoping to find the younger crowd as well. I'll be waiting to hear your tips about that when you do find them.

3. Dlanor

Dlanor New Member

I'm right at that age where the Younger peers aren't really here (doesn't bother me a bit) , and the older than me crowd doesn't want me.....lol.
    Just got told NO when I wanted to join the S.C. hiking Club that meets right across the street because I'm not quite 55 yet even though I have my RCSC card.....Didn't expect this at all.
    I am soooo very disappointed and disheartened , as I'm an avid hiker and thought I fit in perfectly ?
    Was so excited at the "Prospects" of being a single man at 55 moving here..... seems everyone is a Age-a-phobe.....lol

4. 3rdGen

3rdGen Member

Welcome back and to the forum Ron :cool:

Not everyone is that way, time is on your side ;)

5. Dlanor

Dlanor New Member

Well....I did join the Metal shop at Bell Rec Center right across the road from me...... very very handy , and Slowly finding my way around there and its Close too !
    Everyone is pretty nice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I remember Emily saying she's also experienced some younger-age phobia. On the (maybe) bright side....you have a chance to be the youngest one in the crowd again. :D

7. Dlanor

Dlanor New Member

Maybe I just need to give it more time. I'm reliving the good times here from years past , when there was a Kings Inn , Melody Lane , and everyone was so friendly and outgoing. I had tons of older friends back then , but it just doesn't seem the same anymore. Maybe its just me getting older too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

This has been a chronic lament for years. We moved here at 55 and the one thing i tell everyone...age is just a number. Anyone who lets it get in their way is doing a disservice to yourself and those you come in contact with. From the very beginning the clubs were the place to find friendship. There will be those along the way who see your age as a problem; trust me when i say, it's theirs not yours. Ignore the crabby old people and find the majority of Sun City residents just looking to find a better way to live the years you have left.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  9. Karen M. B.

Karen M. B. New Member

I am 55, moving into Sun City by the end of June.. Getting tired of the riff raff where I live now. Can't wait. I am active, there are so many things to do, and I plan on contributing, making new friends, having fun and living life with residents of all ages!

10. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Retired or working K?

11. Karen M. B.

Karen M. B. New Member

Working and will be for a long time. Work from home and I like my job most days :)

12. LilC

LilC New Member

Welcome, Karen! I moved here last week and I love it. I, too, will be working for a long time (unless I win the lottery). Enjoy!

13. Karen M. B.

Karen M. B. New Member

Awesome, LilC! What area did you move to? I will be north of Greenway, just west of 91st Avenue, by the golf course.

14. LilC

LilC New Member

I'm by the Lakeview Rec Center/Lakes West Golf Course area.

15. leah Mekira

leah Mekira New Member

So ladies, now that you’ve moved to Sun City, can I ask how you like it? My husband and I are considering moving there.