Where does Sun City Directory Get its Information?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Minniesoda, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Minniesoda

Minniesoda New Member

A Sun City Directory was left on our driveway. I was surprised to see that my job title before I retired (7 years ago - and we bought in Sun City 5 years ago, 2 years after I retired!) and cell phone number was listed in the directory. Where did they get this information? I called SCHOA and they referred me to the publisher, Sun Cities Publishing who of course doesn't answer their phone - left a message and they didn't call back. Any ideas? How do you get yourself out of this directory?

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Long story short; SCHOA produced the phone book for almost 60 years. A year or two ago the company that had the contract with them ended their relationship. SCHOA no longer has anything to do with it. Apparently whoever produced the book this year used the old books to generate this years. I haven't looked at the one we got this year but there used to be a card in it to fill out and send in to be removed. I would hope it still there. The book used to be filled with dead people or long since moved. Apparently when you moved to Sun City you filled out a card with the information because that was the only way you could get in the book (i think).

3. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Yep, lots of errors and I tried to call too or find something on the web--all to no avail, so I filled out the page they have in there and sacrificed a stamp and mailed it off. It's too bad SCHOA stopped its involvement as it was nice to have an in-house contact and I liked many of the features like the home town info and I know many who were not computer literate used it a lot.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Here's the rest of the story: The phone book was dropped by SCHOA in part because land lines were becoming less popular and the contract with the phone company didn't cover the cost of the work they wanted them to do. In lieu of it, they found a company to produce a community guide that was supposed to be out around the first of the year. I was on a committee that worked on it a bit and it is quite stunning. Release date has been pushed back a couple of times now as the company was bought out by another company. Look for it sometime in the next month.

5. They still list my ex wife’s name and we have been divorced for almost fifteen years. They also have a. yellow pages listing for the most incompetent, unprofessional insurance agency I have ever encountered and I spent over thirty years in the business, Ideal Sun Cities Insurance. Maybe you may have had a better experience than me.