Weather warning

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Fiona, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We received a weather alert while shopping at Costco an hour ago. Possible dust storm/wind/rain until 3:00 p.m today. Just drive careful.

2. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I am amazed how the East and South part of the Valley get all the storms and we are oblivious to them a mere 10-15 miles away. Don't miss the dust storms that go right over my son's home!

3. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

The Monsoon Storms - hit west valley

Sometimes our West Valley Areas get hit...
    A monsoon storm hit Peoria and the entire Valley in 1996 - - it was so awful ! Fortunately we did not have damage to our home, there, but so many others did.

Below Pictured -
    July 2010 storm that hit Sun City Area...Palmbrook Golf Course, and various neighbors here, had many trees down. and damaged homes, patio covers blew all over the streets. A mess.

The rains flooded Rio Vista Park's River Bed in Jan. 2010 -- rushing water there for days.
    That same bad (rained for several days) storm also knocked down one of my neighbors giant Sahauro Cactus.

monsoon 7-2010 house behind mine.jpg monsoon 7-2010 palo verde tree uprooted.jpg monsoon 7-2010 golf course.jpg

Giant cactus damage Jan. 2010 - 2.jpg flood waters Jan 2010  - 1.jpg

Sometimes we get the storms - - sometimes, we don't !

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I heard on the news that Phoenix lost power for 3 hours today from a thunderstorm. We're you guys ok?

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

The storm/haboob did not happen. This alert we have on our cell phone is awesome. We decided not to drive into Phoenix that afternoon after receiving it.

6. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We are ok. I do love storms but not the damage that comes with them. I do miss the rain we had in n. CA and wished we had just a little more here. Cant have everything.

7. Cynthia

That is the one downside for me too. I don't get enough rain in L.A. and it's less there too. Guess I'll need to take rainy vacations to get my fix.

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-Haboob,_Taji,_Iraq,_2006.jpg Monsoon Dust Storm _Gilbert, AZ July 2011.jpg Duststorm  Ahwatukee, Phoenix, Arizona on 22 August 2003..jpg

Pictured are from Iraq - - 2006, Gilbert - 2011, and Phoenix Storms - -2003

A haboob (Arabic: هَبوب‎ "blasting/drafting") is a type of intense dust storm carried on an atmospheric gravity current. Haboobs occur regularly in arid regions throughout the world.

The arid and semiarid regions of North America—in fact, any dry region—may experience haboobs. The term haboob is not commonly used in the arid regions of the United States where these events occur. In North America the most common terms for these events is either dust storm or sandstorm ( also referred to as a Monsoon Storm).

In the U.S., they frequently occur in the deserts of Arizona, including around the cities of Yuma and Phoenix—and in New Mexico and Texas. During thunderstorm formation, winds move in a direction opposite to the storm's travel, and they move from all directions into the thunderstorm. When the storm collapses and begins to release precipitation, wind directions reverse, gusting outward from the storm and generally gusting the strongest in the direction of the storm's travel.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I believe it was in 2010 when many people got new roofs due to hail. My neighbor next door qualified, but mine didn't. Amazing.

10. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

You are correct -- so many of my neighbors got horrible damage...their insurance covered it all - -I image...
    My home was spared....no problems here -- but afew blocks away - - that July day in 2010 --Palmbroook Golf Course was a mess !

11. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Can I get a weather alert on my computer?
    TV is only on from 5-7 in the evening.

12. Cynthia

internet & TV is not the best because your power might go out and you won't get the alert. a weather radio is the safest

13. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I suppose I will just have to look out my front window.

14. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Looking outside works for me - - It has been the best Weather-Indicator for me since I lived here - -
    If the Sky gets dark - - watch it - -
    if it gets windy and the dust is blowing - Do Not Go Outside - - and Do not drive in a Dust Storm !
    If it starts to violently Thunder & lightening - - take cover -
    and the big rains come - - hopefully - all will be safe.. Do not drive over Flooded Streets !
    No storm shelters like they had in the Midwest - -
    use common sense when those Monsoon Storms hit.

15. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I agree.

Looking out my kitchen window shows me dust storm, rain, wind, and often a rainbow.
    If I am awake and hear thunder and ligthtening, I just might unplug my computer. That is if I can find the right plug.

If I'm not awakened and get up to no computer in the morning...........UGH.
    I will probably cry and call one of my sons.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013