Travel and Tours

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Catherine Anderson, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Catherine Anderson

Catherine Anderson New Member

I have not yet moved to Sun City. I try to keep up with what is going on by reading this forum and reading the Sun Views. In the March Sun Views, there was no information about up coming trips and tours. I emailed the visitors center to inquire and they said that the Clubs/Activities department is no longer sponsoring tours. Does anyone know why? This was a big draw for me in retiring to Sun City. I don't like to drive and this was a nice way to get out and about. Sun City West appears to still be offering tours. Can Sun City residents take the Sun City West tours?

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Wow, Catherine, news to me on doing away with tours. I'll ask tomorrow at the Member?Exchange. Too bad, that's been a long standing practice that people loved. I doubt the other communities will allow you on the bus unless they don't sell out. There are a couple of local travel agencies in Sun City that run local tours.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I also noticed the lack of trips/tours in the Sun Views and I'm am sorry to hear that SC will no longer sponsor them.

When I moved here I took all the local tours. It was a great way to see the area.

BP, please let us know if you find out the reason. Thank You.

4. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

and Bill, your weight loose looks great!

5. BPearson

Asked about the bus tours and the answer was the numbers of people taking the them had dropped and the tour operator was doing very nicely off our labor. I did suggest rather than just not having the tours appear they should have the courtesy of telling people what they were doing. Curious how much input the board had in that decision making process.

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

So if I understood correctly the admin made the decision independently about the tours?

FYI, as far as the giving of gifts that were discussed... where I work (a very corporate environment) a $50 value is the limit on what staff can except as a thank-you gift and even that has stipulations. Cash money is a not allowed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

My understanding (sometimes marginal) was that it was more a management decision than a board one. If that is what you mean by "admin", then, yes.

8. Cynthia

Yes I should have said general
    management, not admin.

9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

The BoD seems to inclined to give more decision making control over to management.

10. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

Welcome to the forum Catherine.

Yup, no more bus tours :(, but there is a tour of sorts... http://suncityaz.org/discover/sc-exp/
    We are signed up for next Thursday at 09:00.
    Got a call yesterday from a very nice and friendly lady, I forget her name... kind of like when I go to the basement, I can never remember why I went down there.
    Maybe I should write myself a note before I descend, but I digress and ramble.

The call yesterday was to see if we could do a day earlier because the volunteer for Thursday had a family emergency to attend to.
    We don't get in until mid day Wednesday so couldn't switch. She said they will figure it out and one way or another we will get a tour.
    It is not a bus tour, but it should be fun, looking forward to it.

11. BPearson

Great news BW, no basements in Sun City. Hell, there's barely any steps. Life is good that way. The VC bus died last year and now they do walking tours of the Bell Rec Center and then some type of in-house tour, whatever that means.

12. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

Yeah!... no basements will truly be a blessing. When you don't know where to put something the common statement is, "just put it in the basement".
    After 20+ years it gets pretty ugly down there. When we don't have a basement it will be much easier to think, "how can I get rid of this thing".

The tour was described to me as a decent walking tour of Bell, but that could be skipped by those that don't/can't walk that much.
    The rest would be in a room with a slide tour and some Q&A.
    I'll post the good, bad, and ugly, but I am confident there won't be any of the later two.

13. BPearson

When you are in town and want to have coffee, let me know BW.

14. Cynthia

If you haven’t used it in two years you probably don’t need it (with a few exceptions) Past hobbies were great but will I start them again? I recycled 2/3 of a 25 year collection. Makes moving out and moving in much easier.

15. Cynthia

Emily is back...with a vengeance.

16. BPearson

Welcome back E, missed ya.