The Irony of hypocrisy...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

In another thread, i asked if there was any way the RCSC could look like bigger schmucks than when the article came out in the Independent about T33 and the differences between Sun City and Sun City West. Little did i expect they would answer my question within less than a week.

Before i trudge forward, let me just say, i like the folks on the board and appreciate their service. I generally get along with all of the RCSC employees and know many as friends. I don't hate the general manager or her team, Sun City has benefited from their efforts.

With that out of the way, i refuse to sit and watch meekly as they do things that are out of character for our community. It was outrageous when the article broke where a spokesperson for SCW said she couldn't envision the residents there wanting to go back to a time when they functioned in a less open manner. While we claimed living in the dark ages was way better (my words).

I stated in another thread about not being on the email list after our move and had not seen the email the RCSC sent out Saturday night (?). I read on TOSC the RCSC was asking in the email to contact the legislators to support Payne's legislation protecting Sun City from falling under T33.

It wasn't until i got the email forwarded to me that i became incensed. The innuendo and hypocrisy was too much for me to ignore. Implying we could lose our age-restricted status was just the start. There are legitimate issues and questions, but somehow Sun City West has survived and flourished all while operating under T33.

I was stunned when i read the comments in the email about how Sun City would become a community of rentals. Seems a bit disingenuous when in all likelihood the author of the email has at least 6 rental properties within the community. If they are so damned bad, why is she doing it? As a side note, i don't see rentals as a bad thing, it helps sell our community.

But here is the really, really big question and why T33 would be better for the community. At what point did the board of directors pass the action behind Payne's bill and the subsequent email that was sent? Because for this to have happened, it should have been a board approved action. The tragedy is we will never know because however it came about, it was done behind closed doors (or if it was done at all by the board).

The simple truth is, under T33, these kinds of decisions have to be made in open meetings. They can't be done by email, after the fact or simply by the actions of the GM. That fact alone makes me long for the day when our community is run in a way where these kinds of questions aren't even being asked. Unfortunately for now, that is not the case.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

A couple excerpts from Sun City West's New Member Packet. Interesting information. I certainly would think many residents wouldn't choose Sun City or would no longer be able to afford living here if the annual assessment was per deeded owner as per Sun City West's Title 33 Fees. Yikes! Items in red are for emphasis....marked by me, not SCW.

All residents who are on the deed

of a Sun City West property, are

mandatory Owner-Members and pay

annual dues.(Currently $465 per deeded owner.)

• Those who are not on the deed

but live in Sun City West with a Member,

or are renting and choose not to

purchase a Tenant or Associate membership,

may not use Association facilities

as a guest.
    If they rent in Sun

City West, they may purchase a Tenant

card. If they are living in the

household of a Member, they may

purchase an Associate membership.(Same cost as member fee currently $465.)

As of July 1, 2004, new members of the Association

share in the investment already made in the assets of the

Recreation Centers of Sun City West through the payment

of a one-time Asset Preservation Fee(currently $3500). This is in addition to

the Resale Transfer Fee.

The Asset Preservation Fee does not apply to those

residents who have been Owner-Members and sell their

home to change their primary residence within Sun City

West. The fee also will be waived for former Owner-

Members who purchase another home in Sun City West as

their primary residence within one year of selling their

other home. Investment-property owners are required to

pay this fee on each unit they own.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Just received two more email requests to contact our representatives to vote in favor of HB2374. Still waiting for more clarification as to how it would hurt/help us. This is the time for our BOD to hold an open meeting regarding this bill. Monday's Exchange Meeting might be either informative or frustrating to all.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Who did you get them from aggie?
    Bill

5. Riggo

Riggo Member

aggie: Please do not confuse the two issues as you are well on the way to hijacking a very important thread. Sun City West fees are in no way related to their voluntary following of Title 33. If anything, they are related to an even higher per capita concentration on golf than Sun City. The fear mongerers and misinformation disseminaters want you to believe they are related, but it is simply not true and this higher fee path was well established before their following of Title 33.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. Riggo

Riggo Member

The irony of holding an open meeting after the Board/Management has already decided to go down a “smoke filled back room path” of formally closing meetings via legislation is not lost on me. aggie: They don’t care to know and don’t want to know what you think or they wouldn’t have gone down the path they have chosen. The horse is already out of the barn.