The Cosmopolitan...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, May 27, 2015.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Let me set this thread up with these comments from John Meeker and perhaps the most valuable piece in the Sun City Museum collection. John's daughter donated it to the Museum after his death with a note to return is if we didn't want it. John left the Del Webb Corporation in 1981 and some time after he comprised this 2 volume document the Museum now has. It's John's thoughts and record of how Sun City was built year by year.

His opening preamble (30 pages) is pure gold. Here's the link to it and if you read nothing else of Sun City's history, you should read this. Before we begin on the Cosmopolitan, it's important to understand the mindset of the genius behind Sun City's success. Here's 2 paragraphs from pages 18 and 19: "Since residents were Sun City's best salesmen, it was very important to keep them enthused by changing models every two or three years. This also reinvigorated the sales force even though most new models were updated versions of the older ones. The model home decorating showing the latest drapery, window treatments, furnishings, accessories and innovative landscape designs were strong attractions to Valley residents as well. The residents really looked forward to the special Grand Opening events held just for them. The previous models were sold promptly fully furnished at appreciated prices with some discounts only on landscaping and drapes.

The first 2,500 square foot home was introduced in 1971 and proved to be a very good merchandising tool in selling the 1,500 sq. ft. to 2,000 sq. ft. size homes offered because they also included most of the same features at a lower per square foot sales price. In three years this model set sold over 7,000 homes, second only to the 1976 "Heritage Collection" models that sold more than 8,000 homes in three years in Sun City and Sun City West.

With that setup, I need to switch to the ipad for a closer look at the Cosmopolitan; stay tuned.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

With that title, I was expecting directions for making a Cosmopolitan (the drink)!
    Never had one.

3. BPearson

"This also reinvigorated the sales force even though most new models were updated versions of the older ones." Meeker's words were certainly telling as he admits straight up so many models were tweaked just a tad. It's why the first time I walked through a Cosmopolitan, i could have easily bought it rather than the Castille we did buy.

As we talked about earlier, there were also 4 elevations for this model (the 107 series). They were:
    * Plan H-107A The Madison.
    * Plan H-107C The Cosmopolitan.
    * Plan H-107F The Parisian.
    * Plan H107S The Granada.
    All had a base price of $65,990 except The Madison which listed at $66,490. No idea why. The Cosmopolitan was the model in the Galleria 74, but the prices listed are from the 1975 Galleria 75 pricing information.

This model is yet another where Meeker went outside the box (literally) and put in all kinds of interesting angles. I especially love the massive front patio and how the front bedroom opens to it.

Here's the particulars from the brochure:

image.jpg

Here's the floor plan from the brochure:

image.jpg

Way cool in my humble opinion.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

About the angular floor plan...I just don't get it. Looks like a maze. I do like the unique outside of the Cosmo.

5. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Interesting, the only thing I would have a problem with is the interior entry to Bedroom 2. I'm a fan of the split bedroom plans or at least the plans where the bedroom entries are apart.

I like the angles.

6. Cynthia

Sun City houses are built using trusses without inside weight bearing walls (as I've heard). Tell them all down. Dell Web was ahead of his time using trusses.

7. BPearson

There's a couple of floor plans J_ that have the split bedrooms, but they weren't the norm back in the 70's (I'll post at least one later). I chose this model for a couple of reasons: I love the massive front courtyard and the separate "powder room." Like so many Sun City homes the kitchen's are small. That's a turnoff for lots of folks.

Here's the reason this thread is so important: For potential buyers of Sun City properties, what is there now almost doesn't matter. As Cynthia has said, she's looking for a home with good bones; after that, the sky is the limit (and of course your budget). The point is, look at the floor plan on the Cosmo again. Picture walls anywhere near the kitchen coming down around it and the potential for an open floor plan. Do you need a formal dining room? How about an open kitchen to the Arizona room with a breakfast bar and or a massive island.

We have an 800 square foot addition on the back of our house that was there when we bought it. We have since opened the kitchen to it and when we have a party, guess where everyone hangs out? We have two friends who had galley kitchens and taken the wall down to the living room. Now when they entertain, the kitchen/living room is the focal point.

With no load bearing walls (other than on the perimeter of the home), there is unlimited potential. I would have loved to have someone like the Property Brothers come in and take a 1200 square foot garden court apartment or 1500 square quad and update it. Remove walls, redo kitchens and baths and give it a modern vibe. Perhaps even better would have been a 900 square foot 1 and 1 from 1961 and update it. Imagine taking a $30,000 dollar unit and put another $20 to $30 K into it...and then picture it playing on HGTV.

For potential buyers, you're ability to look past the old, tired and worn out in many Sun City properties is an opportunity to buy right and make it your own. It's part of the fun of looking and then living in Sun City. The hunt is just the beginning of a whole new way of life.

8. Cynthia

The insides do often need changing to fit current lifestyles but I hope people will refrain from altering too much about exteriors. The homes are all interesting and architecture is history. We love to tear down buildings in this country and add on. Most add-ons I've seen so far retain much the same style of the original. I hope that continues in Sun City. I hope people appreciate the history of the architecture, regardless of wow or lack of wow factor.

9. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Agree. When I was looking at the Cosmopolitan floor plans I was thinking about how big and open the home would be without some of the walls.

All of the homes we look at are seen with eyes of what it could be, while still retaining some of the character of what it has been. Being the age I am, the furnishings of the house I grew up is are labeled "mid-century". I'm visiting the family in a couple of weeks, might be a good time to bargain with my sister over some of the furniture...it would be right at home in Sun City.

The lack of load bearing walls was actually in the plus column when looking at Sun City as a place to retire.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge Bill - keep it coming.

10. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We have run into a few homes here that do have load bearing walls. Just sayin.

I would buy the Cosmo just for that awesome courtyard. I would tear out walls and rework the kitchen myself. I just don't have the strength for another project right now lol.

11. BPearson

You're right Fiona, but ill be damned if i can find information on which ones and why?

Dang Cynthia, people are going to think we are one in the same person the way you set up some of the stuff I have in hand. The saving grace is, at least we disagree on the home exteriors. I love the updating some folks are doing on the look of the home; and i also love folks who are preserving the vinatge look as well.

For me, it's one of the things that sets us apart from the rest of the newer age restricted communities. Every house doesn't have to look like the one next door. The variety we see across Sun City helps define us. Different is good in my humble opinion.

Your comments were the perfect segue to what i had done earlier this week. I knew i was going to post the Cosmo thread, and so i went off with the girls (my 2 standard poodles) and we took pictures of two of these homes. One was a rental my former renters had occupied years back and the other one i had watched them transform a couple of years ago.

I'll post them and let you decide your preference:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just a note: I intentionally took the pictures that wouldn't be too obvious to identify.

Guess which one i prefer? What say you as to preference?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I like the updated one. A little refreshing is a good thing sometimes. I do appreciate keeping with a more modern remodel however. But BP is so right, we are very unique in that we do not have many cookie cutter homes here. Here is our home newly painted this past weekend.

DSCN0584.jpg

13. Cynthia

I can't see enough from your photos to give an opinion. I like the color of the white one but I don't much like those squares people seem to be adding on now. At least I think those are not original. I've even seen them done with stucco-like paint covered foam (see photo) I looked at this home last Sept. on my first trip to Sun City. I though it was cute for a second but those squares are some type of foam (I'm lost for the correct word). Now I see those squares around and I don't like them much, even if they are quality made. My apologies to anyone who might have them. foam.jpg I can understand getting rid of the flowery cast iron posts, like they did on this house, but they should have been replaced with a straight post. Nothing good can come of those squares.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  14. Cynthia

Are you saying these are the same house before and after remodeling? If so I much prefer the red one, except for the color. I have a bias to white houses. The red one look very unique to Sun City with the Mansard sp? roof. The white one looks a generic house with its soft corners, but that just my guess.

15. Cynthia

Fiona, are those vertical panels above the brick original? If not what is/was under them? Love the color and the house.

16. Mullet

Mullet Member

BP - thanks for taking the time to post the original plans and provide some history. Thanks to everyone for offering your insights and observations. The timing couldn't be better as we'll be there in a week seeing the community and checking out some homes. We're excited!

17. Cynthia

Good luck Mullet. I've made 3 trips to look for homes. Always fun.

18. BPearson

Two different homes C, same model though. I elected not to post better pictures, just enough to give you some perspective on what can happen with a little creativity. We (the girls and I) drive through Sun City about 3 times a day. I love just looking at what people have done to change a home, or what they've done to preserve it. And what's really amazing is how different homes look after dark. We walk the girls after 9 am and we are astounded how the look and feel of the neighborhood changes from the daylight hours.

19. BPearson

I really do enjoy sharing the community with folks. The housing has been one area that no one has tackled like it should be. I was searching the net for a good a good web based software (one that's easy to use and affordable). I want it to have an interactive blog as well and that pretty much puts me at a Word Press platform. I'm familiar with it (a little) so I'm not sure whether I want to tackle that project or not.

Of course if TOSC wants to create a home page for homes and give me admin privileges, that could work as well.

Stay tuned Mullet, I want to post my model (the Castille), some before and after's and maybe include the Durango and the Castillo with it in the thread. The names are confusing for newbies, but way better than a bunch of numbers that mean nothing.

Hey Fiona, looks awesome. Love the clean lines.

20. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Thank you Cynthia. The panels are replacements for the original siding. We replaced all the windows as well.
    I have a good painter if anyone needs one.