Superstition Mts. - home of the Lost Dutchman Mine

Discussion in 'The Travel Forum' started by Anita Mae, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

The Superstition Mountains are a range of mountains in Arizona located to the east of Phoenix.
    (Close to the Goldfield Ghost Town near Apache Junction) East of Phoenix.

superstition 5.jpg superstition 3.jpg superstition 1.jpg superstition 4.jpg Superstition Mts. 6.jpg

The legend of the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine centers around the Superstition Mountains. According to the legend, a German immigrant named Jacob Waitz discovered a mother lode in the Superstition Wilderness and revealed its location on his deathbed in Phoenix in 1891 to Julia Thomas, a boarding-house owner who had taken care of him for many years. Several mines have been claimed to be the actual mine that Waitz discovered, but none of those claims have been verified.
    Wikipedia

An easy day trip and full of fun ! Lots of beautiful mountain scenery. At the "park" there are various shops, historic buildings, and displays, Hiking Trails are splendid. Bring your picnic lunch, and lots of water - - or you can purchase food on site. Very close to Goldfield -- you can visit both spots in one long day ! Worth the trip--- Our group that visited had a splendid time !