Sun City West Minimum Age

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by wizfourfam, Jul 3, 2013.

1. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

Why is the minimum age limit 55? I really feel that with the current economic difficulties, lowering the minimum age to 50 or 45 would bring in a new infusion of people that would live here full time and most likely still work in the area. What do you think?

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

Interesting concept... I think that the "retirement" living and others want it to be just retirement and 55 and older is where most people start to do that.... Don't think that will change..

3. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

I only pose the question because most people can't afford to "retire" until age 65. I know many people who still work full time because they need health insurance (and want the income).

4. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

It's all tied in with legalities because of not having to pay school taxes and meeting HOPA rules.A certain percentage of under-agers are allowed, but this article explains it quite well although not specific to SCW, the principles would be the same since it's classified as age restricted:
    http://www.55places.com/blog/yes-age-restricted-communities-are-legal

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Ah. Come on folks. We are RETIREMENT COMMUNITIES. Not cheap places to live.
    We have spent our years working and saving (key word) for our retirement.

And whats wrong with working til 65? I did.

SCJ said it right. Youngtown was a retirement community until there were too many people under 55.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

This is a topic that crops up every now and again; usually started by a realtor. Nope, not saying wff is one, just they most often lead the charge. It's understandable, it dramatically increases their selling base. The fact of the matter is, anyone at any age can buy a home in Sun City or Sun City West.

And as a historical aside, the age when Sun City opened was in fact 50. It was moved to 55 and there was a movement to lower it back but never went anywhere. I don't know this for certain, but I suspect there were those in the community who understood the importance of catering to those who were retired. Though let me be clear, even in the 60's the museum has ads from DEVCO that featured people working living in Sun City.

The problem for both Sun City and Sun City West is we are both dependent on residents having a large amount of disposable time on their hands. Our infrastructures are built around retirees. Between the golf courses, clubs and rec centers we need the masses to partake in them. Throw in the challenges of dozens of organizations that need volunteers and we need target those who either are retired or are working and understand the value of giving back.

There is no question our two communities are caught up in the societal changes the country is facing. The biggest question we have is can we adapt and learn to manage those changes to keep the value and the values of our communities alive?

BTW, scj is spot on; the Fair Housing Act is explicit on maintaining the proper ratios of residents over 55. If we ever fall below, Sun City changes in ways none of us ever want to see. Not sure how much any of you know on this topic, but SCHOA files yearly reports to the Feds to insure we keep our age restricted status.

7. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I have no problem with lowering the age to 50. Many of the 55-year olds have younger partners and they are a nice asset to the community.

8. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

Hmmm, I pay school taxes in SCW. LOL SCG and SCF residents do too, we still contribute to the education of our community, which I don't mind. I understand the concept of age restricted communities. How the minimum age is set is still a mystery to me. I wish there were more full time residents.
    BTW, I am NOT a real estate agent. The number of homes for sale at any one time in our communities astounds me. I don't think lowering the minimum age requirement would change that.

9. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Age of 55

In reading your last paragraph - - BPearson -- it appears that we just simply must keep our age limit at 55 years for our residents.
    It is an absolute enjoyable Retirement Community with so many perks - we need to keep Del Webb's Vision and Plans for us !

10. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I moved to Sun City while I still worked full time -- however....afew years later - -before age 59 - -I was able to retire from my employment in education... Del Webb had a vision and a plan for this retirement community of his. AND with the Retirement Community came the age restriction. If you do not agree -- - why move here ? I enjoy the younger generation - however, I so enjoy the quiet surrounding of "no kids in the neighborhoods". Adult living at the rec centers, clubs, pools, gyms, etc. is just a blessing - - if I want to see the children -- I will drive to a near-by city park -- and enjoy the little ones at play or visit grandchildren. Del Webb had that vision of his - - it has worked so well - - and it certainly should continue. I know many friends that still must work and also live here - (who are 55 plus in age) -- and that is fine - - the economy has taken its toll on many. But remember - it is an age - restricted - retirement community - - and - - it is our retirement years that reap the joy of it all!

11. BPearson

Here's a pretty good article on the "pitfalls" of lowering the age. wff. As you can see a series of laws from the Fair Housing Act prompted this whole age restricted community explosion. For a better understanding of those laws and why 55 is the magic number, this article is pretty concise.

12. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Keep Sun City (Original) age at 55.
    If someone does not agree, please tell me why.

13. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I read thru the whole thing.
    It is so specific that nobody should question it.

14. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I also have no problem with children but I did notice a chill coming from some of our younger neighbors in our family neighborhood and realized we were the old farts on the block. Some were friendly enough but not like when I was young. Society changes and I would rather swim in our pool without children and teens doing cannonballs over my head or smacking me in the face with floating rafts. But thankfully we have choices now and can pick our communities.

15. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

Lowering the minimum age would not change any of the other "adult only" community requirements. Many are "child free or empty nesters" in their early 50's, and crave the quieter community. Just threw the question out there, didn't expect the firestorm. LOL

16. BPearson

Couldn't agree more E; no firestorm on my part. This has been a discussion held many times in the past. And as I pointed out from a historical point of view, the age was 50 when Sun City first opened its doors. There was obviously a change made along the way and i'm not sure if it was community driven or due in part to the law.

While on the board at SCHOA I saw up close and personal the yearly filings to both the Feds and the County. It is a serious proposition and in the past several years SCHOA has acted on more than 300 age violations a year. Even with that we are somewhere over 90% of the population being age 55 or older.

I know Sun City Grand has amended their by-laws to allow up to 20% of those living there to be under the age of 55. While it was being built out, they allowed a similar percentage of buyers to fit into that category and live there so they real change was for secondary market sales once PULTE was gone.

I just know I wouldn't want to be in that position to be monitoring that 80/20 split. Should they fall below and lose their age restricted status it would be devastating. Life would change beyond imagination and God help the folks that would have allowed it to happen.

17. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

BRAVO - - Bill ! ! We must never - ever - never allow Sun City to drop our age requirement below 55 ! That would just be so devastating to us retirees ! ! !

18. archer

archer New Member

With the influx of baby boomers, and people living longer, I see no reason Sun City should ever need to lower the age limit.

19. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

While we were shopping retirement communities, I did learn about the 20% rule. One of the residents was actually 28 years old! LOL We found this mainly in new developments. I don't know about established communities, since all we have heard is one buyer must be 55 or better, and we meet that criteria.
    Don't count on the upcoming Boomers to be able to afford this kind of lifestyle. Look at what you are making or have lost on your investments/savings. Nothing near what we earned in the past. Add to that job cuts, lack of benefits and the absolute need to work past normal retirement age to keep the $$ in the bank. I see nothing wrong to try to preserve this lifestyle, and attract more people who can afford it by lowering the minimum age. Just my 2 cents.

20. archer

archer New Member

What is so appealing about Sun City is how truly affordable it is...... When we eventually cease being snow birds we will settle year round in Sun City.... Not just because there is no snow to shovel, but because it costs us about half as much to live there as it does in Colorado. It makes good financial sense for baby boomers to sell the bigger houses they raised their families in and downsize to an affordable smaller home in Sun City.....