Sun City home specific decorating ideas.

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Julianna, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Julianna

Julianna Member

Hello Everyone,
    We will be heading down to Sun City soon to check on our house. I
    have a couple of decorating / use questions.
    We have a coconino model that had the carport changed into a garage. The kitchen window has been boarded up. They added cute shelves across the old window. It looks out of place. And as I am sure that many homes have had the carports converted to garages-many of you must have figured out what to do with this space. I would love to hear your ideas on how you have decorated enclosed or whatever that old kitchen window.
    My second decorating question is this again we have a coconino model with the double front door entry into a narrow entryway it's the one where you see the two cutouts one on the left one on the right into the living room anyways just curious what little touches people with the same model have done to use the space or make it look nice thank you!

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

So here's one of my pet peeves with Realtors. I've long argued for good ones to take photo's of what buyers have done to update their homes. That way when new buyers come in, they can get a visual of what others have done. Doesn't mean they have to copy it, but it just helps inspire the imagination. To date, not one i know of has done it. Too bad, because while it doesn't sell a house, it helps build brand loyalty with the realtor. Plus to be blunt, if they had a copy of home improvements in each model they were selling it might help folks who aren't able to see past ugly wallpaper and small rooms.

When we were looking (back in 1999) we stopped at models that were opened to see what others had done. I used to invite folks in to see the "compound" when they were staring at it wondering. I suspect people aren't as open these days as they used to be. One of the best things about using a local realtor is they are often familiar with the models and what can and can't be done.

Hopefully another reader will be more familiar with your model J.

Julianna likes this.
  3. SCR

SCR Active Member

9922 Prairie Hills front door.jpg 9922 Prairie hills Garage wall.jpg
    The Coconino is probably one of the most popular models in Sun City.

A lot can be done with it. The window over the sink on the garage wall can be permanently closed off and then tiled fully with new lighting. The tile can be carried across that
    whole wall to be used as a back splash.

The 2 small pony walls at the front door can be removed completely to open that room up.

As far as I know, there is only 1 support wall in the Coconino that has the Arizona room, but always check before removing.

The first image shows the front door with the 2 pony walls removed.

The second image shows the kitchen garage wall where the window used to be.
    The window by the way is now illegal.

Julianna likes this.
  4. Julianna

Julianna Member

I agree Bill. When I joined talk of sun City I was thinking it would be great to see how other people have set up their models.

5. Julianna

Julianna Member

Thank you for the great pics scr
    It is so amazing to see how other .
    I rhomes look.I really like the pony walls.
    I would love to see pictures of the coconino model decorated back when they were new. That would be fun. The kitchen in your picture is gorgeous.