Sun Cities demographics compared

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Jul 19, 2022.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Cities With the Oldest Populations
    24/7 Wall Street
    July 19, 2022

(Excerpt)
    From list of 50 oldest cities by population

1. Sun City West, Arizona
    > Median age (years): 75.3
    > Population enrolled in college: 0.6% — 2nd lowest of 1,789 cities
    > Population 18 and younger: 0.1% — the lowest of 1,789 cities
    > Population 65 and older: 85.7% — the highest of 1,789 cities
    > Total population: 26,043 — 81st lowest of 1,789 cities (tied)

2. Sun City, Arizona
    > Median age (years): 72.7
    > Population enrolled in college: 0.7% — 3rd lowest of 1,789 cities
    > Population 18 and younger: 1.0% — 3rd lowest of 1,789 cities
    > Population 65 and older: 75.3% — 3rd highest of 1,789 cities
    > Total population: 38,888 — 678th lowest of 1,789 cities

Article begins here:
    The U.S. population is older now than it has been since record keeping began. The median age in the United States is 38.2 years, up from 36.9 years a decade ago, and from less than 30 in the 1970s.
    (Excerpts)
    … In some parts of the country, the median age is far higher than the national median. Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 24/7 Wall St. identified the 50 U.S. cities – defined as places with populations of at least 25,000 – with the oldest populations. Among the places on this list, the median age of the population ranges from about 48 years to well over 70.
    …Most of the cities on this list are located in just two states: Arizona and Florida – Sun Belt states where winters tend to be mild, even warm. Favorable climates make communities in these states popular destinations for retirees. Several cities on this list, including Sun City, Arizona, and The Villages in Florida are specifically designated as retirement communities. Here is a look at what it costs to retire comfortably in every state.

Click here to see the 50 U.S. cities with the oldest populations.
    Click here to see our detailed methodology

##
    By Samuel Stebbins
    24/7 Wall Street

More, including full list:
    https://247wallst.com/special-report/2022/07/19/cities-with-the-oldest-populations/

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Interesting stats and before anyone pops a blood vessel in their head regarding the 1.0% population of those 19 and under living in Sun City, take a deep breath. The community to the north of us, non-age restricted Vantana Lakes has a small portion of it listed as Sun City. It's an anomaly, there are kids living there, not here.

What i did find curious was the huge difference in median age; SCW: 75.3 and SC: 72.7. For years Sun City was always a year or two older. These fluctuations shift based obviously on turnover. It just depends on where either community is at even given time based on when they opened.

3. Jhiggins

Jhiggins New Member

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Thanks JH. my mistake. It is the area directly adjacent to it. All of which sent me looking at properties in Vantana Lakes; so named because many of the homes sit on lake fronts. Pricing was all over the map. Guess i've never really paid any attention to that community. It's odd because i thought Westbrook Village allowed those 45 and older but when i started looking, they too have covenants of 55 and older as well. Interesting.