SCHOA wants to know how you feel about...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 15, 2018.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Before the change in GM, there was a steady stream of vendors who would rent the community room to promote whatever they were selling. We would get blast emails reminding us to show up. Selling your old jewelry was one of them.

2. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

I think the preferred vendor program is a good program. It just needs NOT to be the main focus of SCHOA and it needs to have guidelines and some sort compliance follow up or regulations to be sure the main focus is on serving the members.

3. BPearson

One of the reasons i stress the history is that organizations are built for a purpose. The further we get from their inception, the easier it is to stray into doing other tasks. I will tell you the hardest aspect of governance at SCHOA is enforcing the CC&R's. That said, it was the reason they were created. Yes, they did other things along the way, but they always stayed true to their mission. Org's always look for value added components, but it should never come at the cost of their purpose.

The drift was easy to understand. Becoming the Chamber of Commerce for Sun City and the Welcome Wagon was way more fun than having to deal with the ugliness of confronting issues within the community. Not that they didn't do it, they just shifted the order of importance which created the illusion they weren't doing it. Front and center, promotion of the CC&R's is the core mission of SCHOA. The beauty of them is they are simple to follow. Hopefully what comes out of the committee, at the very least, is a mechanism that insures they reach all new buyers and a constant drumbeat of how diligent SCHOA is in enforcing them.

This is one of those times where keeping it simple is a win/win for everyone.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I will still look at the vendors, maybe use them, but I don't trust that system as I had hoped. I understand they need proof to intervene with a vendor. But when someone has an issue like BP did and he shows the proof and then they say their policy is to wait for a second person to get screwed before they intervene? If they don't want to intervene, they need to allow reviews. Yes, allowing reviews can be problematic, but either you trust them or read reviews. I can't trust I won't be that second person screwed which would make me livid if I found out. I hope that policy will or has changed. Personally, I can't feel comfortable it until it does.

As far as the CC&Rs goes, I'm happy they do that job or the community could easily suffer. SC is not a small place.

5. Emily Litella

SCHOA CC&Rs should REQUIRE all owners of property in SC to be members, if this is possible. This money could be put towards enforcing the CC&Rs. I bet many of the chronic complainers to Compliance aren't even members.

6. BPearson

With virtually every new board election, the suggestion is made for SCHOA to become mandatory. Nope, not a bad idea, just impossible to accomplish. It would take an action by them to convince the majority of home owners to vote for a change in the Articles of Incorporation that would change membership to be compulsory. Unfortunately human nature is such that it would be akin to asking people to vote for a "tax increase" on themselves; albeit a very small one.

It's interesting to note that newer communities don't have free-standing HOA's. They wrap them into the communities governing documents and bundle them with the organization that oversees the amenities. Think of it this way; if you didn't comply with a violation of the CC&R's, rather than go to court, they could just pull your rec card privileges. Far more effective, but also more onerous. One only has to look at Sun City Grand to see how easy it is to become overly aggressive. Some people want that kind of rigidity, it's just not my cup of tea.

SCHOA has always made an effort to be flexible and understanding. That said, when there is an issue that is clear cut, they have gone to court to make their point...and they have always won. For my two cents, i will take the warts and imperfections that come with our free-standing home owners association that allows for discretion and compassion.

7. Emily Litella

I didn't realize it was that complicated to change it to be mandatory. Thanks for the explanation.