Rocky Point

Discussion in 'The Travel Forum' started by gilmark, Jul 17, 2013.

1. gilmark

gilmark New Member

Has anyone traveled to Rocky Point in Mexico? Tell me your experience!

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I used to travel to Mexico frequently. I had thought Rocky Point would be a great quick trip from SC to see turquoise sea. But as you posted this I was reading about travel issues there too. Mexico used to be safe. I traveled, alone, there for many years. I'm hesitant to go anywhere in Mexico now. I hope it will improve.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

The Sun CâȘity Rec Center often has bus trips to Rocky Point.

I have been to Mexico many times including Mexico City, Acapulco, and Ensenada and the trips were always enjoyable.

Because of a variety of problems in that country, I would not go there now.

Rocky Point might be safe, but it can also have problems.

4. gilmark

gilmark New Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Rocky Point is such a close access to big beaches!

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

My cousin and aunt, who have passed away - both of them approx. 20 yrs. ago -- used to live in Phoenix - since the 1950's...loved the Mexico Area as did both of my parents and myself.

My aunt & cousin actually had a trailer home on the Beach in Rocky Point -- now remember - a long time ago - - that was in the 1970's along time ago...when there were No fears at all of entering Mexico. So many years ago - -the roads were not even paved to get to the area where their trailer was parked.... A ROCKY ROAD... Their place was located on the beach...BEAUTIFUL ! We would go there often !

Then commercial hotel, motels, etc. were built - -everyone and everyone discovered the beauty of Rocky Point -- it is nice now - - however - - very Americanized.....

THEN - - the fear of even traveling in Mexico -- now a days - not what the Days used to be... Last time I visited Rocky Point was in 2000 -- it was still just as nice - - now, the beautiful place is probably safe...but getting to & from the area - -might not be.
    Bus tours are available....but you still hear the "stories about some not-so-good-happenings".

I used to travel to Nogalas --at least once a year - - no more...too dangerous...I believe...
    Algadones....just off California Border - -I went to twice last year -- all was safe and Sun City also provides bus tours to that.

I still love Mexico -- my Daddy and Mom and I drove 4 years in a row - - from Omaha, Nebraska 1960's to Acapulco, Mexico back in the late 60's -- it was our family vacation.
    My Dad had no fear - he was an adventurer - and we went on every side road he could find... Beautiful scenery - - Beautiful towns and cities .....and we met many friends on our travel even though there was a language barrier at times.

Mexico is a good country - just travel with caution.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

For a land-locked state, Arizona has many Beaches on lakes and in rivers and reservoirs.

Tempe Beach Park has a Splash Playground. My link did not work so google it.

Lake Powell is a man-made reservoir and has red sand beaches.

Several roads in Arizona lead to beaches on the southern shore of Lake Mead.

Sooooo. Why go to Rocky Point. O.K. Guess you have to say you've been there. But you need a passport!.

7. Cynthia

Those places do look cool. I didn't know about these beaches.

8. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Yep! Arizona has a lot to offer. I will post more about what it has. Watch for my posting on travel.

9. gilmark

gilmark New Member

We recently went to Apache Lake. If you haven't been there, please know that the trip is long--partly on gravel roads, but the scenery is lovely and the lake is beautiful. We rented a pontoon boat for the day -- three couples amounted to about $90 each. We parked along the shore for lunch. There is a swimming beach, but we didn't stop there Also, the campground looked pretty good, too. The lake sheriff is out in full force watching for those drinking and people riding on the front of the pontoon or other boats. It is a criminal offense if caught breaking the rules of safe boating. Review before renting a boat!

10. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Their are some very nice Lakes in and around the Prescott area...and approx. 1 1/2 miles from Sun City -- off I-17...

Payson, Strawberry & Verdi Valley are other beautiful Mountain areas....All have wonderful campgrounds.

Go To Strawberry in the late - Spring -- Strawberries GALORE -- they raise & grow them there - - That is why it is named Strawberry...The festivals they hold there are amazing to celebrate their little red fruit !

11. Fiona

Fiona New Member

6 1/2 to 7 hours to beautiful San Diego. Why leave the USA? If you have to go to Rocky Point, go with a group and enjoy.

12. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Rocky Point - - soon to be a cruise ship port ...FYI

I recently heard on the news that Rocky Point will soon be a Cruise Ship Port. Anyone else know anything about this latest from South of the Border? That would be a nice place to make a little tourist stop.:moody:

13. Cynthia

I've lived in San Diego and yes it's beautiful but it does not have turquoise water...that makes all the difference to me. And the Pacific is cold.