Rio Vista--Peoria's nearby rec center--belly dancing, salsa, and more!

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by suncityjack, Aug 8, 2013.

1. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Sun City certainly has rec centers galore, but our next-door-neighbor Peoria has a great one right off of Thunderbird, and they often have programs we don't, but we are allowed to join in if willing to pay the fees. Helps you mix it up with some non-SC folks and casts the social net wider.
    Some programs are free, Ex.: I went for the new CPR workshop. The grounds are beautiful and dog-friendly.
    Here's some upcoming courses:

Check out NEW specialty classes for ADULTS coming this Fall to Rio Vista Recreation Center……

· Salsa & Rumba Dance Fridays, 9/13/13 (6 classes) 7:30pm-8:30pm

· Belly Dancing with Veils & Zils Wednesdays, 9/18/13 (6 classes) 6:30pm-7:30pm

· Social Media Crash Course –
    Facebook & Twitter Wednesdays, 9/19/13 (3 classes) 6:30pm-7:30pm

· Self-Defense for Women Friday, 9/27/13 (1 class) 6:00pm-8:00pm

· Writing Your Personal Memoir Tuesdays, 10/1/13 (6 classes) 6:00pm-7:30pm

· Social Media Crash Course –
    LinkedIn & Google Wednesdays, 10/10/13 (3 classes) 6:30pm-7:30pm

· Basic Car Care for Ladies Only! Saturdays, 10/19/13 (2 classes) 9:00am-11:30am

· Digital Photography – Star Trails Fridays, 10/25/13 (3 classes) 6:30pm-8:30pm

For more details and to register, please visit https://recreation.peoriaaz.gov/econnect/Activities/ActivitiesAdvSearch.asp

Or Call: 623.773.7137

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I plan to visit the Rec Center in Peoria.
    It seems to offer a lot.
    Is it off Tbird & 83rd?

3. archer

archer New Member

Is this over by the Peoria park that has the awesome playground? That is on Thunderbird just before the 101......my grandkids love that playground.

4. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Great Information on Rio Vista - Sun City Jack--

Location is Thunderbird and Rio Vista Parkway (West of 101) --
    (corner of Rio Vista is that QT Gas Station on the South Side -- Go North on Rio Vista to get to the PARK)

I have a Silver Sneakers membership (with my health insurance)...and used Rio Vista Gym last year not only for a little gym work out but to walk their indoor track and also for the Yoga Classes & Aerobic classes (FREE with Silver Sneakers)

It will be interesting to check out some of their other activities for the fall -- thanks sfor sharing, SCJ !

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Rec Center in Peoria is off 83rd & Jefferson -- old town Peoria -- The Ole' City has changed since I lived there back in the early 70's.
    Lots of updating buildings, and adding a new this or that with remodeling some of the old.
    The Senior Center is nice !

6. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Rio Vista Park Blooms in The Spring -- these pics were taken while walking that awesome trail - - April.

100_2458.jpg -- 100_2460.jpg --- 100_2462.jpg ... 100_2464.jpg

That trail just goes forever along that river bed.... A nice long walk is from Bell Rd. to Grand -- and a return will be approx. 6 miles round trip. Bikers also enjoy this trail. Trail is close to the park, and gym, fishing area, etc.

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

beautiful photos Anita. Great yellow color popping out.

8. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Indoor Pickleball…….give it a try!

Rio Vista Recreation Center is offering drop-in Pickleball for ages 16 and older every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in the gymnasium. One court will be set aside for instruction so new players are always welcome. Bring your own pickleball paddle or one will be provided for you. Pickleball is included in the cost of a pass or with a SilverSneaker membership. Passes can be purchased for the day for youth, adults and those 62+. Pass rates, address and phone number for the center can be accessed at www.peoriaaz.gov/riovista.
    For more information call 623-773-8600.

9. archer

archer New Member

We haven't walked the trail there yet....but your pictures make me want to do it. Thanks for posting them Anita.