Retread

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Michael Wendel, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Michael Wendel

Michael Wendel Active Member

retread
    rē-trĕd′
    transitive verb
    1. To fit (a worn automotive tire) with a new tread.
    2. To make or do over again, especially with minimal revision; rehash.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
    I want to go on record that I object to the use of the word "retread" in these discussions.
    It is intended to have a negative context. It's name calling (IMHO).
    If falls into the category of the N-word for blacks and the F-word for gays.

Let's show a little respect for those that volunteered in the past. Like them or not, they did step up!
    What is wrong with stepping up again?

We are fortunate that 7 people have stepped up for 4 openings on the 2022 RCSC Board. We have choices.
    One of those choices is to step up ourselves.

I can appreciate the cynicism that shows up on this board, but not the name calling. Volunteering for anything is difficult. Those that volunteer or have volunteered, should be respected.

Keep up the opinions and discussion without the name calling.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Objection noted. Not sure why it has to be intended as a slur? If i go buy retread tires and put them on my car, it wasn't done to offend anyone. I could argue it might not be a good decision, but it could be financially all i could afford; i might not have had another choice. If we relate that back to the intentional recall of a board member, especially when they have already served 6 long freaking years, what would you call it?

Seems to me the RCSC has always had other choices; they elected to drag back, over and over again, those who would vote the way they wanted, support the same old tired agenda of more money to golf and refusing to hold them accountable for golf remaining self-sufficient. If it sounded like an insult, seeing as i started using the term, perhaps it was intended to be a slap to the face. An insult for their brazen efforts so shut out those who ran but didn't get enough votes.

And to be clear, i stated if i ran again, i would be a retread. After spending 1000's and 1000's of hours volunteering in this community, i believe the value in growing the circle is far more attractive than shrinking it. That is unless of course your goal is absolute and total control. To be clear, my sense of this past 15 years under the exiting gm was just that, absolute and total control and those who served their 6 and then came back for more aided and abetted that agenda.

In summary Michael perhaps you were spot on. My goal was to be less than charitable about those who feel Sun City couldn't/wouldn't survive without their efforts to prop up the gm and insure we stay the course. Sadly, there were too many others who wanted to fill those shoes and were left standing on the outside looking in. I find that way more offensive than suggesting someone who fits your definition: "To make or do over again, especially with minimal revision; rehash." In fact, that shoe fits perfectly.

FYI likes this.
  3. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Noted the abhorrention the word, but I must admit I find it to be most fitting to those who have "Served" more than their fair share of time. There are far more former board members who would have made excellenct choices for these various appointments, as well as candidates who came in right below the qualifying number to have won a designated place on the board.

When I see the same, old tired souls perfroming in the same old tired function of kneeling down and kissing the a$$ of the current power monger of the dysfunctional group, this would entail doing the same type of behaviors and tasks which have put them into a position of favor to begin with. This position of favor has placed the membership on the short end of the stick, and has placed the RCSC in a tracherous position.

retread

Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
    retread
    1. noun, slang A person who is no longer successful or relevant in their career.

When I think of the available talent which had board experience who could have stepped up if offered the opportunity, and what the BOD ended up with, it is a total sham and abuse of power.

Sorry for the offense to you personally, I will make ever effort to not use the word, but I will admit, it is wholly ingrained in my memory banks and the definition noted above is the purest definition of what we have serving on te BOD today.

FYI likes this.
  4. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Sorry if it offends you but IMHO the term "retread" in the reference it's being used is nowhere near the derogative intent of the N or F word!

All it means to me is that you're prolonging the life of something that has already served out its useful purpose?!?!?

5. Michael Wendel

I
    I don't think you intended it to be a slur. You have served and if anyone has a right to put a term on it, you do. But I'm not sure others have that same credibility.

The term Retread is in some cases being take as a slur. I don't think Bill intended that.

If so called Retreads keep getting elected? Whose fault is that?
    As for board appointees and bringing former board members back, its similar in that the board, that brings someone back, is mostly elected.
    Bad choices are bad choices. My opinion may be extreme, but Retreads are considered inferior and I don't think it should be used that way when it comes to volunteers.

It seems that most of the problems may be related to people making bad choices (RCSC Staff, Board Members, and even Members).
    Point out the bad decisions and look for solutions. Let's keep the name Retread out of this. It can be a turn-off if you want someone to listen to your ideas and consider your proposed solution.

Bill has seriously volunteered with regard to Sun City and governance. I value the history and perspective. I have to take the cynicism with a grain of salt and hope for the best. I thank Bill for all his service and efforts to make Sun City a better place. As for others that pick up on his terms, I'm not so sure. Back to the Shadows. I respect people who are out in the open. As for Bill, he is very much in the light. I respect that!

These people may have made decisions that some or many dislike. But the majority of them are/were elected. The electorate is more at fault for not correcting this by electing better people. It's a tough job to run for the board. I'm not ready to run for the RCSC Board. Maybe I will be in the future. But for now, I respect those that do run and those that get elected. I also respect those that have already served, continue to serve and want to serve again. I will support those I agree with and oppose those that I don't agree with.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael, your kind words are appreciated. In all honesty, service to the community is an honor and we simply need more people involved. There-in is the reason i resent those that hang on for six and then come back for more. That said, as frustrated as i get, i always try and remain respectful. Even with the gm who is a nice person but her style and direction has all but been ignored as she led us down a path of trying to be like every other age restricted community. The board should have stopped her long ago but she offered them less hours, less research and less work. A Faustian bargain indeed.

BTW, Carole served longer than i did on the board and was treated far worse. There has been one tenet they have created; fit in or else.

suncityjack likes this.
  7. Michael Wendel

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. I'm still learning! Thank you Carole for your service to the community.

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

So in NASCAR terms, Carol would be a Sticker Tire!

9. CMartinez

Mike, thank you for the sincere thoughts, too bad I was not able to be effectual within the realm of board politics to have been much more productive. The BOD was run by and for the golf community, and anything brought forward for community consideration was stymied and immediately put to rest without a whimper. Bill tried with every fiber of his being to bring the option of the Lakes Club before the group, but the GM, with the assistance of the BOD members, made sure the idea or a glimmer of hope was ever presented. We were told things were in the works with the Banner Corp to bring things forward, only to find out later we were both snookered into believing things were actually giong to come to fruition.

Bill's integrity is a shining light in my tenure on the board. I watched as he made such extreme efforts to have more community involvement, have the music groups heard, prior to the changes made at Fairway. He was instrumental in the open hearings on the dog park, one the GM was vehemently against and most of all he maintained his focus on the community when others would make efforts to distract his attentions in other needless directions.

FYI, am not familiar with NASCAR vernacular, but if being a sticker tire means I was a "retread" director, having served more than one term, than I fit the bill.

10. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

A sticker tire is a brand new tire that has a Sticker that holds the manufacturing data listed on it.

I meant being a Sticker Tire as a good thing and Thanks for your service.

11. CMartinez

FYI, thank you so much for the explanation. I thank you for your kind words. I am not sure I would want my "manufacture" date out there as of now, but I am thankful for the having the tread I have and look forward to many more laps to come.:)

12. CMartinez

Mike,

I sincerely apologize for hijacking the thread. I support your beliefs as to what is and is not acceptable language or connotations used within various posts. I promise to make every effort to reduce my use of personal slang terms in order to perserve the intgrity of the plost and the language.

Michael Wendel likes this.